Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clint's RPS13 project

Rides

Clint's RPS13 project

Right, I’m putting up this thread in preparation of my upcoming rebuild over the next 4 months.

Disclaimer!!!: The first post is covering the history of the car to date. If you’re already familiar with my car’s story, or just not arsed reading it all then scan through the pics and skip to post #2!!

Here’s my car’s story so far:

For those of you that don’t know, the car is a 1997 180SX Type-X. It’s a Japanese import with the non-VVT Blacktop SR20DET. I bought the car in Summer 2009 pretty much standard and just off the boat from Japan with just a HKS air filter and a set of 17” Gram Light 57Pro.

Here are the pics from the day I collected it:

This is where the trouble began.

After I put down my deposit on the car, the garage (Japcars, Dublin) contacted me to say that they thought the head gasket was on the way out, and as they were to guarantee the engine & ‘box for 6 months, they would replace it before I took delivery. Fine I thought. At least it’ll have a rock solid engine to start modifying from.

They told me they were sending the head to be skimmed and said I could pick up the car later that week. I collected it, and he advised me not to drive it hard for a while until the new gasket settled in. I agreed and behaved myself. On the way home I was accelerating in second and at about 3,500 rpm, heard a loud bang, lost all power and the revs shot up and started hopping of the limiter!

I quickly took it out of gear and knocked off the engine and pulled off the road to inspect the damage. Turns out the loud bang was the main boost pipe popping off, someone hadn’t tightened the jubilee clip properly. And the reason for the revs shooting up was that the throttle was stuck fully open! Unfortunately the garage was closed so I closed it by hand and carefully drove the car home to have a proper look.

It turned out that the round piece that the throttle cable sits on was slightly bent and was fouling on a nut causing it to stick, probably as a result of the same careless mechanic who didn’t tighten the boost hose leaning on it.

I fixed it myself and phoned the garage the next day to give the m a bollocking, and I asked them had they not test drove the car after rebuilding it. They claimed they had, and they hadn’t noticed any problem. He apologised so I left it at that.

Over the next week I noticed a serious oil leak under the car. I brought the car back to them where they discovered the leak to be coming from the back of the engine between the head and the block. They had used a spurious gasket as the genuine item from Nissan would have taken 5 weeks from Nissan, and it wasn’t sealing right. He ordered it and I brought the car home. Five weeks and a lot of getting lifts later, and the car went back to them to have the head gasket changed again. All went well and I had my car back in two days.

I quickly set about removing the kouki spoiler as I’m not really one for wings myself, so that left it looking like this:

I enjoyed driving the car as it was, and all was well until I had an accident in February 2010. My rear tyres weren’t great and I hit a patch of standing water on the carriageway, spun 360 degrees and ended up hitting the barrier on the hard shoulder. All pretty minor cosmetic damage thankfully.

Shortly after this, the car started to run very poorly. It would randomly bog down under load and not accelerate, sometimes misfiring, to the point where I nearly got rear-ended by a truck joining a motorway one day as the car would not accelerate. I decided at this point it had to come off the road.

After exhausting the knowledge of the SXOC, and trying every single suggested fix, I took it to Stiv. He discovered that the car was running massively lean, and that the timing was retarded 10 degrees! This had caused the head gasket to blow again. As this was the first turbo car I had owned, I hadn’t noticed anything wrong about how it was performing initially, but looking back, I do remember it having a slight misfire every now and then, which at the time I just put down to shitty petrol, as it only seemed to do it when I filled up from certain stations. Dumbass, right?

I have wanted to fix it ages ago but due to the premature arrival of my little boy last March I haven’t had time/money/energy to do it.

Rides
    So that brings us to what you see before you today, a pretty sorry looking RPS13 with a blown head.
    (Sorry I'm doing this in work so I'll get some 'now' pics up at the weekend)

The plan is as follows:

1. Remove the head from the car this weekend and assess the damage.

I’m fully expecting at least the head to be warped, if not the block too. If by some miracle the block is ok, I’ll strip the head and send it to be skimmed (if needs be), replace the gasket and put it back together.
    If the block & head are badly warped, I’m going to try and source a replacement non-VVT and change the engine, and keep the spare to rebuild over time out of the car.

2. Once the car is running again I’ll tackle the bodywork. As you can see there has cleary been repairs on this side before so we’ll have to wait and see how bad that is under there. (Again, pics to follow at the weekend)

3. As a result of the crash the front left shock is slightly bent, so that will need replacing to pass it’s test.

4. Refurbish the alloys (if there’s time/money left!)

5. Drive to the weekender in July

I’ll take plenty of pictures on Saturday and should have an update on this by next week.

Thanks for looking!

Rides
    Nice to see your cracking on with this Clint, I'm afaid I can't help you this wk end as I said I would help frank with his GTR clutch first.

You should test if for a boost leak before you take it off, or when its all back together as your crash impacted on the side where the sidemount intercooler is, and they normally fall apart by themselves - let alone with help

Rides
    Yeah, I was thinking that the WMIC may have been damaged in the crash all right. I'll see about doing a test on it over the weekend if I can.

Rides
    Oh wow dude, I didn't realise you still had the bodywork left to do too! I'll keep my eyes & ears open for an SR20 for you in the mean-time. Have you sourced a new wing, headlight surround & how is the bumper? Is the wing support underneath (chassis-wise) ok?

Dunno if it's the pictures but those Gram Lights don't look like they need a refurb but just a good polish..?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie
    JP will be back, he is like Christ, only he comes back more frequently

Rides
    Lovely looking car lad, I'd happily give a hand if I was a bit closer

Overfender mite tidy up that quarter?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Oh wow dude, I didn't realise you still had the bodywork left to do too! I'll keep my eyes & ears open for an SR20 for you in the mean-time. Have you sourced a new wing, headlight surround & how is the bumper? Is the wing support underneath (chassis-wise) ok?

Dunno if it's the pictures but those Gram Lights don't look like they need a refurb but just a good polish..?
    Yeah, I had it booked in to have the bodywork done and then the engine packed in so there wasn't any point at that stage. I have a fibreglass front wing on at the moment but will need to source a proper metal item, also need headlight surround and the arch liner and the bumper spat that goes in front of the wheel. Undertray & mounting points are mostly fine, and the bumper should be repairable (I have the big chunk that's missing in the pic!).

3 of the wheels are fine but the paint on the front left is slightly damaged

Quote Originally Posted by Mogan View Post
    Lovely looking car lad, I'd happily give a hand if I was a bit closer

Overfender mite tidy up that quarter?
    Cheers for the offer mate, I'm sure you would
    I reckon a decent bodyshop should be able to straighten it, but it looks like it's been repaired before. In the fourth pic of the damage you can just about see some filler where the scrape comes off the door and hits the quarter. Worst comes to worst I can always throw a set of overs on

Rides
    Gutted to see her damaged but fair play for planning to get everything sorted and ready for the weekender

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by James_S15 View Post
    Gutted to see her damaged but fair play for planning to get everything sorted and ready for the weekender
    Cheers mate, it'll be a challenge but I'll get there!

Rides
    Nice Project...
    alot of work ahead. i was trying to picture which car you had. it all coming back to me know after seen those pics. might be cheaper getting wide arches .. but get that engine fixed first.

Rides
    Right, I know I originally put the first post up in February, but due to certain personal & financial issues I haven't been able to get near the car... until now.

Started stripping the engine at 7.30 last night and had a good look under the rocker cover. Everything in there is spotless which I'm quite happy about. One spark plug was significantly cleaner than the others, clearly showing where water was getting into the cylinder.

So everything is disconnected ready for the head to come off, and weather permitting we'll strip the cams etc out and get it off tonight, and hopefully find a flat block and head (have to stay positive about these things )

I only got one rubbish phone photo as it was getting dark, I'll take some more after work with the proper camera and stick them up

Not bad for an hour's work, eh?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by RayTsang View Post
    Nice Project...
    alot of work ahead. i was trying to picture which car you had. it all coming back to me know after seen those pics. might be cheaper getting wide arches .. but get that engine fixed first.
    You're probably right about the wide arches Ray, and it's something I'll look into once the thing is running. I can live with it not being pretty for a while once it's driving!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Not bad for an hour's work, eh?
    Just one thing: stuff something into that turbo pipe sticking up and cover up the ports in the head if you end up leaving it like that overnight.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing more on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie
    JP will be back, he is like Christ, only he comes back more frequently

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Just one thing: stuff something into that turbo pipe sticking up and cover up the ports in the head if you end up leaving it like that overnight.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing more on this.
    Hmm, didn't think that would be necessary? Is that to keep out water or spiders?

Rides
    Update time!

So the head has been removed and on inspection, it seems as though Japcars in Dublin, who supposedly put a genuine Nissan gasket into it, actually left the cheapo one in it and just lashed in a heap of horrible black sealant, which incidentially was blocking one of the oil channels.

Interestingly there's no water marking between the water channels & piston like we were expecting to see, so It doesn't look like water was getting into the cylinder after all. When Stiv checked it, it was making 10bar accross the board, but was losing compression and bubbling up in the rad like crazy once hot, so I'm guessing it was just down to the shoddy job done on the head gasket, and Stiv seems to think that the problem should go away one a proper one is installed.

The head was being cleaned up last night, and the block should be cleaned tonight so in a couple of days we should be making progress on rebuilding. On the upside, with the exception of one knackered lifter (probably as a result of the blocked oil channel) everything in the head & block looks to be in great nick. I think I may own the only Jap import in Ireland with genuine mileage on the dash

Didn't get taking pics at the weekend as the camera was missing, but I'll get some up later tonight

Rides
    great to hear its coming back together,

that was some bodge job on your head gasket.. very lucky there's no major damage.
    hope there's a nice metal one going back in. with some strengthen head studs.

then turn to boost up

Rides
    I thought about putting a metal one in, but to be honest, I just want to get the thing running again as cost effectively as possible, so I'm going OEM. Time & budget are the two biggest issues for me at the moment.

I've no intention of going over 1.0bar for a long time yet as there's too much else I have to do to it in the meantime. If and when I choose to go chasing bigger figures, I'll be pulling it apart to upgrade the internals anyway, so the MHG can go in at that stage.

Rides
    can't go wrong with oem.. i was running 1.3/1.4 bar on my oem head gasket for years...

just get the car together and enjoy it... make sure everything is working fine first..

Rides
    Exactly man. It's been sitting up far too long at this stage!

Rides
    As promised, here's some pics. The head is away being worked on at the moment so couldn't get any pics of that yet.

How she looks at the moment

It appears as though my car came with the uber-rare factory option of a subframe made from metal, rather than rust. Bet you never seen one of those on an S13

Everything we took out

Looks to be in decent condition, just needs a good clean

Condition of cylinders

The poxy black sealant shite that was all over the place when we took the head off

The offending POS itself...