Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hsd coilovers comfy enough for daily driver?

Rides
    Found my old HR's to be pretty poor on the road tbh, far too crashy on anything but the smoothest of surfaces. Felt much like my M3 does now but with more bumping.

Brilliant on track but I'm sure a set of custom coilovers from Gaz or similar will do a better job

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    On a daily driver, 5/4 is the most I would go on spring rates, and I'd combine these with some good ARB's to reduce roll with out much effect on ride quality.

I'd also stick to light 17 inch wheels, like R33 GTR's are cheap and excellent. You can use 235/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear tyres with a perfect amount of sidewall.
    I have those wheels they look great. Interesting choice of tyre wall size why go for a smaller one on the rear?

Thinking about arb looking at Whiteline as they seem popular. But first wondering if I should get the bushes done along with the coilovers.

Rides
    If you go 255/40/17 on the rear it's the closest match to standard rolling radius, as the 40 is a % of the 255 width, so matches better than 45.

There where lots of thread on here years ago, and it was felt a 20mm difference in width front to back was the optimum, so go 225 front 255 rear.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    I use Whiteline ARB, they are good, the drop links are a bit cheap but easy to replace.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    If you go 255/40/17 on the rear it's the closest match to standard rolling radius, as the 40 is a % of the 255 width, so matches better than 45.

There where lots of thread on here years ago, and it was felt a 20mm difference in width front to back was the optimum, so go 225 front 255 rear.
    Great! Thanks for the info but bugger wish I had read that yesterday as just had 225 fitted all round. .

Rides
    Have decided going to go with mono pros. Ry and the guy from drift works have convinced me. Plus drift works do 0% finance. Will let you know how it goes.

Rides
    I did and will again daily mine on 9/7kg HSD's, no problem for me. Too harsh to use on broken up back roads but for the most part the ride is ok and car is nicely stable and controlled.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by oberlointment View Post
    Have decided going to go with mono pros. Ry and the guy from drift works have convinced me. Plus drift works do 0% finance. Will let you know how it goes.
    Good man good choice!

I have no doubt in my mind you'll enjoy them fella!

Yeah that 0% APR on DW is a nightmare lol

Just ordered full alignment kit for mine

Just for reference - out of the 16 rate damper settings on the MP's I set mine to 8 as it's my daily I wanted it half way.

You may want to have yours harder / softer though mate

Rides
    Ok so there is a little wait for the mono pros from drift works and mean time to complicates matters I have been getting some advice on alternatives and Teins street advance (replacement to the super streets) have been mentioned as giving a lovely ride. Anyone have these?

Rides
    Ok so there is a little wait for the mono pros from drift works and mean time to complicates matters I have been getting some advice on alternatives and Teins street advance (replacement to the super streets) have been mentioned as giving a lovely ride. Anyone have these?
    Wait and get the mono pros

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    HSD's on my 350Z are more comfortable than standard and as good on track as anything this side of £1500
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Just to add to the mess, I'm running Apex Limos with Whiteline ARBs and strut braces on my S13.

The spring rates are a very unmanly 4/3 kg but, with the ARBs it makes for a very supple ride with very little body roll and a nice neutral steer until you induce oversteer.

The dampers can be cranked up so that it is teeth rattling over speed humps but at 8 clicks from soft on the front and 6 clicks on the rear, its a lovely ride.

Spring rate on the standard KYBs are 2.2kg/1.8 kg and the bodyroll comes mostly from the underspecced ARBs.

I don't do track days in it but I'm sure they'd be OK for an occasional outing unless you were planning to run in the fast group.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    HSD's on my 350Z are more comfortable than standard and as good on track as anything this side of £1500
    You running mono pro's?

Rides
    Anyone willing to give me a ride in their car with mono pro or dual tech fitted. Would be a great help .

Rides
    As mentioned already I have S14 Tein Super Streets, lovely ride on motorway yes but on the streets I would say that's a bit far fetched (SS though). The ride on <=30 is so so, a bit hard over speed bumps and a bit rough over cobble roads but a very nice supple yet complaint ride as speed increases. Fantastic on the higher speed stuff as they soak up bumps in a OEM manor but still have enough damping to give the car a good sports car feel when pressed hard, the damping adjustment does actually give a usable range to tweek feel and handling. Happy with them tbh.
    I haven't tracked the current car, I reckon they will be a bit on the soft side for track but that's less of an issue than poor road manors. I by far prefer the softer Teins SS then my HSD HR's, only 1kg difference between the two but it's damping characteristics are considerably different. My AST's were 5/4's but the Tein SS ride a little better. I normally run a modest ride height though, gotta compromise somewhere.

What is an acceptable ride quality is subjective, maybe I'm overly fussy as I think the ride quality in my 2014 DS3 is a bit shit
    Makes choosing suspension easy eh? Since suspension makes or breaks a car in my opinion, it would be nice to have a DIY rebuildable set with a ****aboutable shim stack.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    You running mono pro's?
    Duals mate, I was apeaking to a Drift Allstar driver yesterday and he was in agreement too
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Anyone willing to give me a ride in their car with mono pro or dual tech fitted. Would be a great help .
    I would offer, but it'd be a bad comparison. Mine's fully caged with rose joints etc. Was a totally different car pre-track spec lol.

Rides
    No worries I understand. Mine is just for fast road use. Am leaning now towards dual tech. As I think the monos are going to be too harsh. Only one way to find out order bolt on as see.

Rides
    If you come towards Leicester for any reason you can have a trip in mine with DTs

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    What spring rates are the hsd dualtech's?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue