Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S14a backfiring like an ak47

Rides
    Interesting read, mine also back fired on Hdev stage 1 a few years back and I done the same process of elimination.
    My engine also spun a bearing and is still sat here lol
    Ended up just buying a replacement and touch wood all good up to now with no back firing or hesitation.
    Good luck with rebuild pal

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JuicyCarbonFX View Post
    Interesting read, mine also back fired on Hdev stage 1 a few years back and I done the same process of elimination.
    Ended up just buying a replacement and touch wood all good up to now with no back firing or hesitation.
    This can happen with persistent mild-moderate Det, the sharp increase in Cylinder pressure and shock travelling through the conrod break down the oil film on the big end eventually causing the above!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JuicyCarbonFX View Post
    Thanks mate I may end up buying another lump depending on how much damage there is when I open it up, but second hand engines are strong money now!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by richie s14a View Post
    Thanks mate I may end up buying another lump depending on how much damage there is when I open it up, but second hand engines are strong money now!
    Not only are second hand engines fetching strong money, most of them are 100k+ mile engines, that are just as ready to blow up as your engine was. I'm in a similar scenario, where I have an engine with low comp on one cylinder, and there's no way I could risk spending like £1200 or thereabouts, on another engine ready to give up. Whatever the damage is, I reckon you're better putting money into your existing engine.

Rides
    Yeah they most certainly are fetching a lot, I picked my second one up for less than 1k the and got a lot with it I managed to sell to recoup costs, still have my tall block than needs stripping down but I can never find the time.
    I really should make a start so I have a spare to drop in but, time and money are in short supply these days.

Rides
    I would rather keep the original engine, I’ve had the car for 11 years and it’s been pretty reliable so haven’t done bad. Will get started on it when the weather warms up ����

Rides
    What fuel were you using

Rides
    I was using V power, I've never used any other fuel since owning vehicle.

Rides
    I used Tesco momentum 99 Ron and sometimes v power.