Page 13 of 129 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive S14a refurb

Rides
    The finish with the epoxy mastic is not what I am after, it’s a satin to matt finish so I have decided to go for a full gloss 2K body paint. I have no doubt it’s the dogs for rust prevention but at the end of the day, this car will never be taken out in the rain again. If anyone is interested I have 5L of the stuff. I just want the bling factor

I refurbed the insulation padding that goes between the tank and the galvanised heat shield today. I didn’t take any before pics as I didn’t think it was very interesting but I am pleased with the results. Basically it was de- laminating around the edges and had some rust stains on it. I used evo – stick around the edges and gave it a very light dust coat of anthracite acrylic. The paint will help prevent it de-laminating again. Looks factory and all

Here is where it was de-laminating

Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    That is verging on disturbing to be honest mate

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    That is verging on disturbing to be honest mate
    LOL, It's only a car. You should see the refurb I did on my house a few years ago. That was a BIG job Ste A posted a comment about it

The S14 refurb is totally anal I agree
    Why am I doing it?.............. Because I can
    Pete

Rides
    ... and still doing an awesome job, keep it up

Dave

Rides
    8 more hours of shotblasting to get to this.

Pete

Rides
    So what's the technique for stopping future stone chips?

I have quite enough and would like to know how not to get any more... Clearly you cant allow stone chips on your car after all this!

You going to get the interior re-trimmed or have a crack at learning that art too?

Rides
    peter. please come help do mine. my skills are no way near the level as yours

Rides
    Not to drive it Seriously though I would guess that driving on gritted roads accounts for the majority of stonechips. It’s an interesting question though

You going to get the interior re-trimmed or have a crack at learning that art too?
    No, the interior is about as good as it gets and is stock. I bought the car of a friend who used it for touring Europe (and beyond) so the interior is in pretty good nick. A respected board member drove it and said “fook me the steering wheel isn’t shiny”

I will post the whole history of the car when it’s done if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by j4mes View Post
    peter. please come help do mine. my skills are no way near the level as yours
    I would swap my knowledge plus a few grand for your age Skills come with experience, experience takes time though

Any questions mate - fire away
    Pete

Rides
    your a star matey. a credit to this forum!!!!!!!!!

Rides
    dont drive too close to the car in front

Rides
    The back panel had corroded through

Rather than trying to repair it I just cut it off with this rotary file.

A quick file up and it's sorted

Sprayed a second coat of primer under the car today and the cheapo gun I have was playing up. I bought this gravity feed jobbie. Should be less wasteful when spraying 2K paints

Pete

Rides
    Looking good in a far-too-clean-you-mentalist kind of way mate!

I have one question, you said a while back you managed to get a mask that was ok for 2k paint, but around £35. Did you get it? If so is it any good and what make was it etc?

cheers.

Rides
    I can't remember where I saw that mask I ended up getting new filters for mine
    Pete

Rides
    I didn’t have a clue how I was going to spray underneath the shell with 2k Paint without overspray problems on the top of the car, and everywhere else for that matter. The 1K zinc primer I used was very fast drying and any overspray just settled as dust. 2K products take longer to dry. To make matters worse, the top of the car is filthy. I was thinking along the lines of washing the car and masking it up, though I really didn’t fancy doing this. This new spraygun I have bought is fantastic. I have just sprayed a couple of parts and there is virtually no overspray at all. So the plan is to just mask the areas I don’t want painting with masking tape and it looks like I have found a solution. Cheapo guns are fine, don’t tend to last long and create a lot of overspray.

£75 well spent in my book

Diff pump before

And after

There’s 9 coats of black paint on there to fill the pitting OK I’ll get my coat
    Pete

Rides
    Where do you find the time to do this? This cars going to be better than when it was damm new. Credit to the man and I thought I could be a prefectionist sometimes.

Rides
    My job leaves me lots of spare time

Using Develop’s engine degreaser tip On goes the Sikaflex

Thought I would start on the bits that Nissan forgot to do

Pete

Rides
    Coming along very nicely. This and your 13 must be near concourse condition?

What is it you do? If you don't mind me asking?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Davie View Post
    Coming along very nicely. This and your 13 must be near concourse condition?

The S13 is far from concourse but it’s fairly tidy and rust free. Just waiting for a new turbo to be fitted as it’s smoking 007 stylee Thats both 200's off the road then

Does anyone know what concourse actually means? I thought it was the condition of a brand spanking new car straight off the production line I went to my local Nissan dealer and looked around a new 350Z to see what would be required to make the S14 as good as when it was new. I realised that short of buying every component from Nissan, I would never be able to achieve the factory look. The paintwork on it very good though as it’s never been damaged and repaired. Mechanically it’s 100% so it should be pretty good when it’s finished. It will certainly be better protected underneath than the day it left the factory. This is certainly the most comprehensive rebuild I have ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by Davie View Post
    What is it you do? If you don't mind me asking?
    Not at all. Most of the work I do is audio -visual stuff for a Premiership football club. This time of year it’s mainly updating their website with news clips. Working weekends sucks but the time off during the week is
    Pete

Rides
    I think concourse is what you say, although not limited to factory. The parts can be after market, but its all in the detail.

Spotless parts down to the tread of the tyres

Rides
    I think what you are doing to the S14 IS EASILY concours everything is clean, painted, spotless, no corrosion etc. concours doesn't have to mean as original from what I've seen

This car could quite easily be good enough to win medals etc