Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Benefits

Rides
    Brexit Benifit 101:

We don't have to eat bugs to appease the climate god.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...X%3A32023R0005

Phew, that was close.

Rides
    You cannot possibly be stupid enough to think you have a point there when you have been able to buy cricket powder protein for years in the U.K.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonatLarge View Post
    Brexit Benifit 101:

We don't have to eat bugs to appease the climate god.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...X%3A32023R0005

Phew, that was close.
    I dunno, mealworms and crickets are really quite nice, like super crunchy crisps or something. More of an accompaniment than a main event though, prawns are just sea crickets at the end of the day, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    And that's before you even consider they're hyper-sustainable and a serious part of the solution to the climate crisis.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    You cannot possibly be stupid enough to think you have a point there when you have been able to buy cricket powder protein for years in the U.K.
    I have never bought any, didn't fancy it.
    I prefer to get my protein from other mammals rather than crustaceans and insects and worms. I pity the Europeans many will be eating these bugs without knowing it as the cricket powder can now be added to flour.
    The Europeans are cruel and barbaric savages just think how many lives will be sacrificed to make just one loaf of bread will probably be in the 1000,s, they will have blood on their hands.
    I can't belive you are condoning such barbaric behaviour pinman.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    I dunno, mealworms and crickets are really quite nice, like super crunchy crisps or something. More of an accompaniment than a main event though, prawns are just sea crickets at the end of the day, no?
    Give them to me. I have a pair of turtles

Rides
    A 40% increase in the number of European bankers making over €1 million means one of two things (or both): that the EU is doing better in financial markets since Brexit and/or that UK banking staff are moving to EU hubs.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...u-paid-1m-plus

Bye bye tax revenue.
    Yes, London is no longer the financial capital of Europe

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonatLarge View Post
    I have never bought any, didn't fancy it.
    I prefer to get my protein from other mammals rather than crustaceans and insects and worms. I pity the Europeans many will be eating these bugs without knowing it as the cricket powder can now be added to flour.
    The Europeans are cruel and barbaric savages just think how many lives will be sacrificed to make just one loaf of bread will probably be in the 1000,s, they will have blood on their hands.
    I can't belive you are condoning such barbaric behaviour pinman.
    This is by far your weakest attempt at gaslighting.

Let's get back to actual Brexit benefits shall we?

Rides
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64452995

UK is forecast to be the only major economy to shink in 2023 (IMF), accountable to a sizeable gap in the required work force through lack of EU migration and early retirements.

No-one else is suffering that.

Bloomberg finds that Brexit is costing the uk £100 BILLION a year in lost growth. The pro-Brexit Telegraph is even reporting it

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...tax-inflation/

Benefits please?

Nah I'm kidding, there are none, we're 28 pages in, I'm just here for the banter.
    Last edited by piman2k; 31-01-2023 at 13:35.

Rides
    Seems chief Brexit negotiator David Frost has seen this thread, he posted up the benefits this morning on Twitter. He was that confident he was correct that he didnt allow any replies.

By my reckoning 1,2, 3, 7, 8 and 10 could all have been done inside the EU. Shipping people off to Rwanda, pumping shit into rivers and destroying the fishing industry are not really benefits, Ive not seen any happy farmers and the net benefit of Free trade agreements is about as much as whats down the back of my sofa, we have lost £25bn in EU trade though.
    Im not sure about the £10bn a year (I am, its a false number) but the cost so far is estimated at £-36Bn along with the £100bn a year in lost growth.

Blue passports though eh?
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Never mind that half of them aren't rateble lol. How is an 'alcohol duty change' a benefit, in what way?

Edit - and just a casual +/- £5 BILLION tolerance in his figures
    Last edited by piman2k; 31-01-2023 at 15:32.

Rides
    The alcohol duty means wine is going up. We are going to look to make lower alcohol versions to beat it.

Rides
    As in, becoming more expensive?

Rides
    Now this was quite special, Kemi Badenoch being rewarded for her unending support of Sunak gives an interview about the benefits of a new "UK-Italy trade partnership".

https://news.sky.com/story/kemi-bade...igned-12806110

And this is my favourite part of the article:

The deal makes no change to the UK and Italy's key trading regulations - from tariffs and quotas to customs rules - but she said it would help improve trade between the nations.
    It's just a bare face denial of reality but it isn't surprising, this is how the Conservatives talk to us these days.

When it was pointed out that the flow of goods and services between Italy and the UK has fallen since Brexit, Mrs Badenoch said: "It is the long-term trend that I need to work towards rather than what happened this year or last year. "I think that that is actually what I would call a 'fake conversation'. It's like asking people who just got married: 'where's the baby, where's the baby?'
    And this analogy is ridiculous because at this point the couple have been married 7 years and the "baby" is almost 3

Rides
    And she thought she had a shot at being pm

Italy is becoming more toxic by the minute, what on earth do they produce that’s worth trading? Apart from their super cars, gorgeous women, amazing weather and nice food, apart from that, they have nothing to offer

Rides
    Well Leon, it seems not even politicians think Brexit has been a success and have conducted a cross party off-site meeting in the highest secrecy to discuss what a clusterfunk it is.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ings-of-brexit

An extraordinary cross-party summit bringing together leading leavers and remainers – including Michael Gove and senior members of Keir Starmer’s shadow cabinet – has been held in high secrecy to address the failings of Brexit and how to remedy them in the national interest, the Observer can reveal.
    “The main thrust of it was that Britain is losing out, that Brexit it not delivering, our economy is in a weak position,” said the source.
    Absolutely fabulous article, well worth a read.

Rides
    The only benefit to brexit I can come up with, is seeing Brexiters with egg on their faces

Rides
    £29 billion of lost investment according to the predictions of a senior BoE analyst. Granted, not the position of the BoE itself, but people aren't senior analysts without knowing their stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64623488
    Last edited by piman2k; 14-02-2023 at 07:40.

Rides
    I also didn't know about this till it popped up from someone on LinkedIN. Owen Paterson, vehement Brexiteer and stern opponent of theECHR, having been booted from the Conservatives because of his illegal and immoral lobbying, escalated his defence to the...

...ECHR

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...f-human-rights

Rides
    I also didn't know about this till it popped up from someone on LinkedIN. Owen Paterson, vehement Brexiteer and stern opponent of theECHR, having been booted from the Conservatives because of his illegal and immoral lobbying, escalated his defence to the...

...ECHR
    I can match it: https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2023/02/03...hould-join-eu/

Yep, Johnson is advocating Ukraine join the EU. Irony overload.