Thread: Terras daily hack

Rides

Terras daily hack

After 13.5 years of owning my s14a I thought it was time to start a build thread. Have been on this forum for many years reading and lurking

Just became a paying member

My 200sx is my daily family car, garaged when not in use. Yes i said it....daily!

It’s going to be a bit difficult doing a build thread, so I’m just gonna put up random stuff that I’ve done in the past every now and again. I have hundreds of photos over the years of ownership. I have taken most of the car apart except for the engine and dash.

I saw a black s14a back in the late 90s outside the local Nissan showroom and thought “I’ll have one of them one day”. In May 2008 I finally went and got an unmodified sapphire blue s14a for £2550. A month later I drove it to France, Italy and Switzerland. Which was a total blast! And I’ve had it ever since.

This car was bought to stay standard looking. Reliability and mechanical condition the most important thing. I am not part of the “drift scene”, Don’t have mates with high powered cars. But do know “Raygun” because he is local. First car show I put it in to was Beaulieu simply jap this year. I met p.nicholas and a couple of others. Most of the time people shout "Nice Skyline" at me.

The car only goes to garages for welding, tyres and wheel alignment, everything else since I have owned it has been done by me in my workshop/garage. For a living I build aircraft parts, mostly fuel tank level sender units. I am also an aerospace solder trainer.

I took it off the road in 2013 to clean up the underside. Dropped the subframe and tank and found an absolute mess of rust under there. So, I went and bought a Rover 45 old banger to use while I spent a year on my back in the garage grinding rust. I took the chassis back to bare metal from the rear of the floor pan to the back of the car. Painted it with Bilt Hamber products, hydrate 80, zinc primer and epoxy mastic. Renewed the fuel and brake lines completely. Removed the pointless diff cooler. Fitted poly bushes to the subframe and derusted that too.
    I had some shitty welding done during this time by a mobile welder. He plated over the rust holes! No cutting out of the rust beforehand. I didn’t find this out till months after when I put an endoscope in the chassis rails. I have had most of it redone since for obvious reasons.

In the autumn of 2020, (12 years after purchase) I decided to change out the auto box. I did this myself over a weekend, found it quite easy. Two weeks after I put a 1A h-dev chip in and a boost controller. Car is so much better now.

I have found over the last two years that important rubber parts are starting to fail. Engine mounts, suspension bushes etc. I have changed the front engine mounts and all bushes, exhaust hangers etc accept for the the rear hub.

The car has never broke down. only time it wouldn't run was the two flat batteries its had in its time with me.

Current mod list –

K&N air filter
    Apex stainless intake
    Apex WMIC
    3inch stainless turbo elbow
    3-inch stainless downpipe
    De cat
    Mongoose exhaust
    Braided turbo lines
    Walbro fuel pump
    ACT heavy duty clutch
    Braided clutch line
    VAG r8 coil back conversion
    Hardrace street gearbox mount
    LD performance boost controller
    Stage 1a h-dev chip
    Manual gearbox conversion

Nismo s15 s-tune
    Whiteline roll bars
    Driftworks front control arm poly bush
    Front tie arm poly bush
    Rear poly bushed driftworks traction arms
    Rear poly bushed driftworks toe arms
    Rear poly bushed driftworks camber arms
    Poly bush subframe
    Strongflex front diff poly bush
    Power flex rear lower arm bushes
    Front strut brace
    20mm japspeed rear wheel spacers

Nautilus air horn
    Hid conversion
    Clear front and side indicators
    Crystal side lights
    LED tail bulbs
    90% of interior switches converted to LED
    S15 front seats
    Tomei gear knob

Pictures to follow.....
    Last edited by 6terras; 14-12-2021 at 09:24.

Rides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Here is a few pics of the 2013 rust work.

Rides
    Woo that looks tidy! Stunning looking- love the standard wheels!

Rides
    Building it back up. Didnt take any of it with the black epoxy, not sure why. I think the pics came out crap so deleted them.

Rides

All this took me a year! I did it in sections to zinc primer. Then epoxy mastic over that. Then a generous cooating of Bilt Hamber UB and S50 cavity wax.
    I believe i saved this car doing this. Theres no way it would have gone on much longer. Ive got 8 years out of it since and i drive in winter daily. Topped up the underseal this year. Its just rusting from the inside out now.

Rides
    Baught myself some nismo s-tunes this year. Needed a clean up……

Impact gun died……

The finished product. My mastic is not that smooth anymore but i was still happy with the results. Considering i did them myself. I kept the nismo purple on the rears as they were in still in good condition. Fitted 20mm rear spacers. Massive improvement in looks and cornering.

Rides
    cheers Markcro.
    Last edited by 6terras; 16-11-2021 at 12:30.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    Woo that looks tidy! Stunning looking- love the standard wheels!
    Thanks. Mite change them one day but i like the simplicity and cheep tyres.

Rides
    Every 200sx owner need this……

A de-rusting kit

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Loving the garage space and that you’re keeping the car subtle. Rust proofing work looks decent.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Loving the garage space and that you’re keeping the car subtle. Rust proofing work looks decent.
    Thanks. i wish i had done the underseal when i baught the car. better late than never i suppose. all the rust that has come through since has come from inside out.