Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: coilovers what peeps are using and how they fair

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fluent View Post
    HSD (Driftworks) 8/6 Mid-level one (called HR over here), good for the money. Not the best, but for the price your paying its excellent. Damper settings result in linear effect (as proven on shock dynos) vs a gradient curve on the more expensive stuff. But you'd hardly notice it unless your doing competitive time-attacks!
    Have you got any more information on shock dynos of HSD coilovers?

Rides
    I used to have Tanabe coilovers. Only took them off as the car was becoming more of a road car and less track. I now have NISMO S Tunes for everyday driving.

The Tanabes I had were pretty old but not problems -great brand but can be a bit pricey!

Never heard any bad reviews about them and they sell well second hand

Rides
    I have Trust - Greddy Performance Damper - Type S 8/6 they are great on the track, I guess.

On the road they are healthy if you have problems with kidneys and sand

Rides
    apex gen2 6/5s, if you set them soft enough on the damping they're really comfortable, really easy to get on with day to day, though it's not sufficient damping when it's comfortable to control the spring - i'll find the car will bounce with the weight transitions.

i find 13 clicks from soft perfect to totally damp the movements quickly and not too uncomfortably. i'm happy with them so far, but this is my first set of coilovers, so i'm sure there's things i dont know.

i currently have a squeak that sounds like an old iron sprung mattress so i'm going to have to re-grease them i think
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilkins View Post
    I'm running Gen 1s with 5/4 springs and the springs are a bit too hard for british roads

In fairness its acceptable even with uprated ARBs but I'd like to go softer on the springs and harder on the damping to get a less boingy ride. If I can't source softer springs I'm going to try KYB AGXs and standard springs with the ARBs and see what that is like.

The Gen 2s are supposed to be better designed as the Gen 1s tend to rattle a bit at the back which is quite annoying after a while.
    If you're looking for coilover springs, try Merlin Motorsport... I had a brief look and they seem to have loads of coilover springs, I'm not sure if they'd be suitable - but certainly worth a look!

Rides
    I use JIC Magic coilovers with short springs.

They are a rock solid ride and made my s14's apex gen1's seem soft and lardy.

I think on track they would kick ass, but on the roads they are spine crushing

I'll probably change to apex gen1's down the line as I was really impressed with my s14's set.

Rides
    so would apex gen 1's be the best set to get for drifting and using with a daily driver ? as i was thinking about investing in a set !

Rides
    Think it will be a set of apex second gen then

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus23 View Post
    so would apex gen 1's be the best set to get for drifting and using with a daily driver ? as i was thinking about investing in a set !
    Prob not as there will always be better. Cost relates to quality. But that's not to say they wont do the job very well for what you will want.

If you want a good compromise, get some soft sprung Apex, i.e. comfy coilovers, and uprated ARBs to stiffen up against bodyroll.

It is not as cheap as you thing. If you are going to do it properly then you have to consider:

New price estimates of course

Coilovers £500
    ARBs £250ish
    Alignment arm set £200-£400
    Full suspension alignment £100

So not cheap by any means.

The cheapest and still a good compromise would be uprated shocks and springs. But depending on how low you drop will dictate what you require.

To be honest though, from what i have seen, a fair few just fit the coilovers and skimp on the rest but this does have adverse effects. My car is like this at the minute, as it has excess camber and Toe settings. My inner tyres aint too pretty. To rectify i will have to invest cash. So it is a never ending cycle

Rides
    Exactly what the man said ^^^

Best piece of advice

Rides
    ARBs £250ish
    Alignment arm set £200-£400
    Full suspension alignment £100
    Have got all the above fitted or done, but the coilovers i have hade in the past have left a bit to be desired like i said i have busted 5 in the past 2 years some were replaced under warranty but now i just need a set i can rely on.

Rides
    Steve, you'll still need to get the alignment checked again so £50-75 probs.

Andy (Razzario) - There must be something wrong with your adjusters if they don't click.

Rides
    Andy also chech the adjuster arm is long enough, The last ones i had delivered had shorter adjuster arms in the back ones had to use the front ones to adjust rears. then you may hear the click,

Rides
    bloody hell that expensive for alignment, got mine done for 20 quid lol, mind you i do know the guys quite well, im very impressed with my apex gen2s to be honest, my mates gt4 has hks coilovers which are the dogs but cost a whole car more than mine

Rides
    100 quid for an alignment , come to me, I'll do it for 50..or 25..or 10..or a sixpack of milk..its not that hard to do yourself actually..

The point is 100 for an alignment is fuqin ripoff, find a cheaper place or do it yourself, i.e. invest in some tools and be able to do it yourself in the future.

Rides
    Well, I was going to rise to the bait and explain that 3-D alignment gear isn't all that cheap - maybe even more than £100 but I see that you been banned...... again..... never mind.

Rides
    What has he done again, will he never learn

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vova View Post
    100 quid for an alignment , come to me, I'll do it for 50..or 25..or 10..or a sixpack of milk..its not that hard to do yourself actually..

The point is 100 for an alignment is fuqin ripoff, find a cheaper place or do it yourself, i.e. invest in some tools and be able to do it yourself in the future.
    £100 is dear for laser alignment, but it's a laser alignment. How can you do this properly yourself with a set of tools and set both sides to the same degree?!?!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TrIcK^ View Post
    What has he done again, will he never learn
    Dunno. It was dissin' the mods last time. Not clever

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by geogge View Post
    £100 is dear for laser alignment, but it's a laser alignment. How can you do this properly yourself with a set of tools and set both sides to the same degree?!?!
    come on i can get one of these for a few quid

A bit of sticky tape and a compass, whats that a fiver!