Thread: Any suggestions for new Paint?

Rides

Any suggestions for new Paint?

Hi guys

Got a First World Problem here.

My Sil80 is in need of a paint job. Currently she is multiple colours and a mix of old paint, bare fibreglass and P38.

I spend the last 10 weeks preparing her for paint, I went down to 240 grit, and have done a relatively good job.

The next job was to get her a coat of white from a body shop. Bearing in mind 95% of the prep is done, I expected around £1k. I've been to 3 body shops around Ely, Cambridgeshire, and they have all quoted $2.5-3k. The fact that they all quoted the same makes me understand that they are correct/fair prices.

At the moment I can't pay that. In the future I will be able to, but we are talking 3 years away most likely.

So for the time being that gives me 2 options:

1) put it into storage for 2-3 years and try again then (Car is not suitable for road in current condition with all the exposed fibreglass and filler etc).

2) find another solution. I though maybe a full wrap, but that only seems suitable if you have a solid existing paint job, which I don't. My next idea is to get a compressor & gun, and just spray it in my workshop/garage, prob not a good idea.

What I really need is a guy that will just mask it up and spray it over with a bit of white and then just leave it, and charge a small amount, with the idea that this cheap paint job will do until I can get a proper job done in the future. Does such a thing/place/person exist do we know?

Best

Jon

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jont View Post
    Hi guys

Got a First World Problem here.

My Sil80 is in need of a paint job. Currently she is multiple colours and a mix of old paint, bare fibreglass and P38.

I spend the last 10 weeks preparing her for paint, I went down to 240 grit, and have done a relatively good job.

The next job was to get her a coat of white from a body shop. Bearing in mind 95% of the prep is done, I expected around £1k. I've been to 3 body shops around Ely, Cambridgeshire, and they have all quoted $2.5-3k. The fact that they all quoted the same makes me understand that they are correct/fair prices.

At the moment I can't pay that. In the future I will be able to, but we are talking 3 years away most likely.

So for the time being that gives me 2 options:

1) put it into storage for 2-3 years and try again then (Car is not suitable for road in current condition with all the exposed fibreglass and filler etc).

2) find another solution. I though maybe a full wrap, but that only seems suitable if you have a solid existing paint job, which I don't. My next idea is to get a compressor & gun, and just spray it in my workshop/garage, prob not a good idea.

What I really need is a guy that will just mask it up and spray it over with a bit of white and then just leave it, and charge a small amount, with the idea that this cheap paint job will do until I can get a proper job done in the future. Does such a thing/place/person exist do we know?

Best

Jon
    Is the car in primer or just prepped ready for primer? If it's not primed then there is still a fair bit of hours that need putting in for a shop to get it ready for paint. Any self respecting bodyshop won't shoot paint straight over p240 finish/bare fibreglass/filler as it'll turn out shit and you will have wasted your money. You might be able to save money by getting a bodyshop to prime it, then block/DA the primer down yourself.
    Depending on the level of finish you are after it can take minimum half a day for a quick run over with the DA using P320 then P500 then soft pad round any of the bits the DA can't reach.
    You might be able to find gentlemen from eastern europe or turkey who are willing to slop some white over it in a shed with no PPE on for £1k but in my experience of having to fix those jobs after, they use cheap materials, get runs everywhere and overspray over pretty much everything. You should also expect to chuck another £1.5-2k on top of the "proper" price to get it fixed and done properly as you have to remove the other persons **** ups.
    You'll probably get people saying "I got a guy to do a full respray for £300 on my car and it looked like a show car!" but this is usually because they have no idea what a good paint job looks like
    My advice is don't waste those weeks of prep you put in with a cheap slash up job, get it done right and done once.

Rides
    Where are you based?

My uncle owns a bodyshop in Birmingham, I’ve painted my car there (twice) and he knows how to use a gun. I’m sure I can sort something out for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    Is the car in primer or just prepped ready for primer? If it's not primed then there is still a fair bit of hours that need putting in for a shop to get it ready for paint. Any self respecting bodyshop won't shoot paint straight over p240 finish/bare fibreglass/filler as it'll turn out shit and you will have wasted your money. You might be able to save money by getting a bodyshop to prime it, then block/DA the primer down yourself.
    Depending on the level of finish you are after it can take minimum half a day for a quick run over with the DA using P320 then P500 then soft pad round any of the bits the DA can't reach.
    You might be able to find gentlemen from eastern europe or turkey who are willing to slop some white over it in a shed with no PPE on for £1k but in my experience of having to fix those jobs after, they use cheap materials, get runs everywhere and overspray over pretty much everything. You should also expect to chuck another £1.5-2k on top of the "proper" price to get it fixed and done properly as you have to remove the other persons **** ups.
    You'll probably get people saying "I got a guy to do a full respray for £300 on my car and it looked like a show car!" but this is usually because they have no idea what a good paint job looks like
    My advice is don't waste those weeks of prep you put in with a cheap slash up job, get it done right and done once.
    No primer. Just bare. Yup what you are saying makes sense to me. Thanks

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1017 View Post
    Where are you based?

My uncle owns a bodyshop in Birmingham, I’ve painted my car there (twice) and he knows how to use a gun. I’m sure I can sort something out for you

Cambridge at the moment. Thanks.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jont View Post
    No primer. Just bare. Yup what you are saying makes sense to me. Thanks
    Primer it & wet sand, if all he has to do is lay paint it can be cheap, but if its bare it’ll need a bunch of work and the cost will go up to roughly what you’ve been quoted

Rides
    Give it a go yourself, if you have a unit and compressor etc just take your time with prep

Rides
    If you've done all the prep then you've done the hard work, get a compressor and give it a go.

Rides
    Thanks to all guys. I need to sit an have a think.

Rides
    just buy a cheap gun and paint it your self. white is fairly forgiving so give it a few coats and you can just flat it back and machine polish.

in reality you can paint an s13 a panel at a time if you leave the doors open. ive done mine with a little 3hp 50L compressor.

may aswel prime it your self with high build primer then you can perfect your paint skills.

240 grit, prime, dust some black spray paint on as a guide coat,400 grit, 800 wet and dry, pre-clean, mask, spray, leave out in the sun to bake for a few weeks then cut and polish.