Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotguns..... Anyone?

Rides

Shotguns..... Anyone?

Ok so searching seems this is not a topic we have had before...

Went clay shooting for a works do just before Christmas and..... What a blast

Really thoroughly enjoyed it, and as such promptly applied for my shotgun licence (been waiting since Dec 20th, says allow upto 12 months )

Anyway, got myself a 6 gun cabinet installed ready for the interview.

Assuming I get it granted I have turned my attention to which "boom-stick" I should treat myself too

At the moment it's looking very much like I will be purchasing a browning Maxus as that's the new version of the A5 I was using and it fitted very well.

So anyone else go shooting?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DLowe; 07-02-2018 at 19:44.

Rides
    Yes, I've got a Beretta Silver Pigeon for mainly sporting and a bit of rough shooting.

Rides
    really like the Berretta's but I find them a touch too short - I was looking at a Onyx.

having bought a 6 gun cabinet I think my aim will be to get one of each type, start a little collection,

the hit list as it stands for now is:

Browning Maxus - Semi Auto
    Mossberg 500 - pump action
    Benelli 828U - Under/Over
    Winchester (not sure yet, but older model) - Side by Side

luckily the Mrs supports my "hobbies" and has promised me a over-under for next Christmas, so that will be 2 off the list

Rides
    Another vote for Beretta generally.

Which Silver Pigeon do you have, Ben ?

I had a lovely 56 model. A lovely action and s/h, it wasn't that expensive and made a great beginners/intermediates gun. The later 680 series is a really nice comp. gun and the new SP 1 is a great entry model if you want to buy new. Not that cheap at 1500 quid or so though.

Get something with a 2-stage single trigger, is my advice. A Beretta compared to a Browning is like an Aprilia compared to a Royal Enfield (Browning). Most (the moderately priced) Brownings aren't made by Browning. They are made under licence by Miroku.

I used to enjoy cleaning mine. Not sure I would have a Browning TBH.

Don't take my word for it though...

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/buy...shooting-46339

Your best bet is to hook up with a decent local clay-shooting club. They are usually really friendly guys and happy to lend their guns for a try out at a trap. You might even find someone happy to lend you a gun for the event. That way you can try before you decide and buy.

If you are left handed, definitely try a left handed gun. It makes a huge difference.

Regards the licence, you need a clean record with the buzzies and you'll almost certainly have someone come round and check you and the cabinet out.
    Watch out for trick questions. Basically, NO ONE except you should have access. NO ONE. Under ANY circumstances. No hidden key, no spare, just you. And the ammo is as important as the gun.

Finally, and you probably already know this but its worth repeating, there is a very strict etiquette at almost every half decent club. ALWAYS, ALWAYS have your gun open when you are not taking your turn in the trap and never wave it around. You'll find a broken gun will sit nicely in the crook of your arm and will sit with both the stock and the barrel pointed groundward.

EDIT: Just seen your comment about having 6 guns. IMO, all you'll do is make yourself a thief magnet. For the money you are talking about to get that lot, you could have a lot of other things and, like having 6 cars, you wouldn't use some of them.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 07-02-2018 at 21:10.

Rides
    Cheers for the advice Jonny,

have quite a good relationship with my local ground - Cloudside shooting club http://www.cloudside.co.uk/ , having had to do quite a bit of work on the electricity network as it passes through the grounds, and they are the ones we went to for the days shooting, and I have been back for a few enquiries since.

A lot of our work guys go to Doveridge ground, and it comes highly recommended.

I really like and appreciate the quality of the Berretta, but unfortunately being of "generous proportions" I find the forestock a bit slender and the stock not long enough, I have read that the Browning is a bit more "agricultural" but overall very well made and reliable. I certainly did well with their older model (only missing 6 out of 25 in the day comp.) but I'm certainly open to suggestions for my first one - looking at around the 2K price range.

I suspected the interview process would involve some leading questions - I'm a authorising officer for the electricity board and have a similar technique when giving HV switching interviews, I find it the best way to filter through someone just going through the answer sheet and someone who actually knows what to do.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    At the moment it's looking very much like I will be purchasing a browning Maxus as that's the new version of the A5 I was using and it fitted very well.
    +1 for the Maxus, I have a 2+1 in synthetic and it is faultless, speed loading feature is awesome. Also consider the Winchester SX3, its basically the same gun and fits the same.
    I recently got my section 1 cert with a slot for shotgun, wasn't able to order an SX3 but got the SX4 instead. Extended mag tube was promptly ordered turning the 4+1 into a 10+1

The interview will likely be quite relaxed. I think I was asked the difference between a mechanical trigger vs an inertia trigger. It's also good to know your fall out distances for the different weight and size shot; the "300yard rule".

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    And the ammo is as important as the gun.
    Incorrect with regards to Section 2, but very applicable for Section 1 ammo.
    Shotgun ammo doesn't have to be secured. I've got about 3500 rounds stacked up in against the back wall of the dining room.

Rides
    My first gun 12-bore was a Benelli. It too was agricultural and I found it a heavy old beast and, as it was right handed, I struggled to do well with it. I only paid £50 for it though lol. (It was a long time ago).

Not sure why the stock didn't feel long enough. You should have both arms bent anyway almost to 90 degrees. Maybe it just felt a bit toy-like.

Regardless of your size, you should still be looking for a gun that you can easily chase and track the bird with. A big heavy gun will make it more difficult to catch up if you find yourself behind the bird, for instance. OK, so I'm only 70-something kilos but a lighter gun will generally make it easier for anyone to find a coincidence and get to it. I'm no expert on the science though. Just trying to think it through now you've asked so I could be chatting cobblers as usual.

Trying different guns is deffo what you need to do though. A good gun will feel... almost liquid in your hands. The first time I felt that, I got goose-bumps and just knew it was the right gun for me. Responding to the bird was almost like dancing. A fluid movement to a point ahead of the bird and...squeeeeeze..and BOOM and move... and panic as it goes away from you and snatch...and curse

Rides
    Jonny, mine is just a 686 Silver Pigeon 1 Sporting

DLowe, just get an o/u to start with. My Dad has a nice Winchester Select which didn't break the bank and hasn't given him any trouble.

Don't bother with the pump action (people will point and laugh if you turn up at a ground with one of those, it's not like you're John Bidwell!) or the semi auto for now.
    Last edited by Actual_Ben_Taylor; 07-02-2018 at 21:45.

Rides
    Lol - I don't think the pump would get much use, but having seen loads of them for around £200 second hand (there's 3 in my local shop) it would be rude not to, just to make a more complete cabinet. Same for a side / side

I found I'm a better shot with a semi than the u/o (had a go of a mates miroku) buy come the day to hand some cash over I will be seriously looking at what's about and making sure I try before I buy

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by danb21turbo View Post
    +1 for the Maxus, I have a 2+1 in synthetic and it is faultless, speed loading feature is awesome. Also consider the Winchester SX3, its basically the same gun and fits the same.
    I recently got my section 1 cert with a slot for shotgun, wasn't able to order an SX3 but got the SX4 instead. Extended mag tube was promptly ordered turning the 4+1 into a 10+1

The interview will likely be quite relaxed. I think I was asked the difference between a mechanical trigger vs an inertia trigger. It's also good to know your fall out distances for the different weight and size shot; the "300yard rule".

Incorrect with regards to Section 2, but very applicable for Section 1 ammo.
    Shotgun ammo doesn't have to be secured. I've got about 3500 rounds stacked up in against the back wall of the dining room.
    Don't try arguing technical details with a country bobby Dlowe is up in the potteries. In Shropshire, I didn't get asked questions about fallout, I got asked "Does your Mum know where you keep the key ?" and "Where'd you keep the ammo ?". "Nobody knows" and "In the cab" were the right answers.

On the way out he recommended I use Ely No6 duck cartridge when shooting rabbits as the shot pattern meant less lead to pick out of the body if you shot the little f*ckers in the head.

Maybe the shooting scene has moved on (shrug).

Rides
    Don't try arguing technical details with a country bobby Dlowe is up in the potteries. In Shropshire, I didn't get asked questions about fallout, I got asked "Does your Mum know where you keep the key ?" and "Where'd you keep the ammo ?". "Nobody knows" and "In the cab" were the right answers.

On the way out he recommended I use Ely No6 duck cartridge when shooting rabbits as the shot pattern meant less lead to pick out of the body if you shot the little f*ckers in the head.

Maybe the shooting scene has moved on (shrug).
    better to err on the side of caution during your first application I guess. It will vary from police force I'm sure, the FEO's are just civilians - mine has never held a license himself!

36grm 3's for hares, they don't like it much!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Jonny, mine is just a 686 Silver Pigeon 1 Sporting

DLowe, just get an o/u to start with. My Dad has a nice Winchester Select which didn't break the bank and hasn't given him any trouble.

Don't bother with the pump action (people will point and laugh if you turn up at a ground with one of those, it's not like you're John Bidwell!) or the semi auto for now.
    Like button. Like button. Like button. Where's the f*cking like button ?

1. That's a nice gun. (Jealous).
    2. Yep. over under.
    3. Nothing says I'm a cnut like a pump. Make sure you turn up in a Porker for full cnut-effect.

I once borrowed a right handed pump and took a lump out of my cheek when it auto-ejected (I'm a left-hooker). I won't be doing that again.

Its also immensely satisfying to break a gun and pop two spent shells after taking down two birds. Why would you want to forego that ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by danb21turbo View Post
    better to err on the side of caution during your first application I guess. It will vary from police force I'm sure, the FEO's are just civilians - mine has never held a license himself!

36grm 3's for hares, they don't like it much!
    I've only ever eaten hare once.

Rides
    I've only ever eaten hare once.
    Can't say I have eaten a hare, just enjoyed the sport. Judging by your response I might give it a miss!

Rides
    Can you get a saiga 12 on a UK License
    Or maybe 2 for dual wield.

Hmm maybe not, AA 12 it is then.

Rides
    Brought a miroku O/U no option for chokes, no sprung ejectors so fairly old. £50, Bargain, does me fine for the clays

Rides
    I'd buy a Miroku ahead of a Browning just because you are paying extra for the name. The top Brownings are nice but I've never tried one that felt right for me.

Off topic :

I was going to say I've never shot an animal that I didn't eat afterwards but then I remembered wabbits with myxy, rats, sparrows with an air rifle that got fed to my brother's kestrel...

I love rabbit pie and pigeon pie though but. And I've shot a fair few clays Hare is proper gamey though! Bleeugh.

Rides
    I'd buy a Miroku ahead of a Browning just because you are paying extra for the name. The top Brownings are nice but I've never tried one that felt right for me.

Off topic :

I was going to say I've never shot an animal that I didn't eat afterwards but then I remembered wabbits with myxy, rats, sparrows with an air rifle that got fed to my brother's kestrel...

I love rabbit pie and pigeon pie though but. And I've shot a fair few clays Hare is proper gamey though! Bleeugh.
    Clays take a fair bit of cooking

I'd have to agree with Miroku over Browning.

Have you done any pheasant/partridge days?

Rides
    I've beat for them but never shot them. I didn't have much money in those days and its a bit of a toff's day out.

Rides
    It also depends what discipline you are planning on shooting, as a skeet gun is different to a gun you would use for Down the line or Olympic Trap for instance. In my experience the gun doesn't make you a better shot. I've seen people with 10k guns that couldn't hit a barn door at ten paces. My advice would be buy a gun for around £1000-1500, make sure its comfortable and fits you, then have it choked to suit how you shoot.

And please please dont buy a pump, as said before you will look like a massive tool and tbh they are pretty shit (as are all composite guns)