Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Well here it is - The European Mustang !!!!!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    A 4-pot F-type NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo
    Why not? It'll make reasonable power, and let's be honest, a large proportion of the F Type ownership aren't going to be buying them as a balls out sports car, more because they are very pretty things from the JLR stable with the quality that goes with it.

There's also the 'Cayenne effect' - if making a certain model generates the revenue that allows them to continue making their awesome halo cars, then it's a price worth paying IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspect
    I like, it but could/would only have it with the V8. It's a Mustang and needs the V8 sound track.
    Mustangs have come with engines other than V8's since pretty much the beginning dude - Pretty sure the first generation one could be had with a 6.

Rides
    Photo from launch

Stang.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Any ideas what this beastie will weigh in at as that will determine its performance a lot

Rides
    We will probably have to wait till nearer the US launch for more detailed spec but i would guess around 1600kg as that what the current one weighs.
    Mark is right.

Rides
    It's a bit of a shame they've lost that Mustang B-pillar thing

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    The F Type is an interesting point, what with the 4 pot about to be introduced into the range!
    About to be introduced? Jesus, bit of a wait yet

A 4-pot F-type NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo
    It's just a derivative! Not like there won't be a V6/V8 option still!

Rides
    Several years is 'tomorrow' in car terms

Rides
    Why not? It'll make reasonable power, and let's be honest, a large proportion of the F Type ownership aren't going to be buying them as a balls out sports car, more because they are very pretty things from the JLR stable with the quality that goes with it.

There's also the 'Cayenne effect' - if making a certain model generates the revenue that allows them to continue making their awesome halo cars, then it's a price worth paying IMHO.

Mustangs have come with engines other than V8's since pretty much the beginning dude - Pretty sure the first generation one could be had with a 6.
    Why not ? Because it already has a cooking model. The nice one is the S and the halo car is a V8.

A 4-pot F-type is going to be like a 1.3 Laser Capri - bought by people who couldn't afford a "proper" one i.e. loser wannabes. Just the fact that it will exist makes the F-type less desirable in my book.

A big plus for the Mustang that's a minus for an F-type is it can be had in a manual too.

Rides
    Jonny just doesnt want to see poor people in them

It will be like the people who buy 350SLs
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Why not ? Because it already has a cooking model. The nice one is the S and the halo car is a V8.

A 4-pot F-type is going to be like a 1.3 Laser Capri - bought by people who couldn't afford a "proper" one i.e. loser wannabes. Just the fact that it will exist makes the F-type less desirable in my book.

A big plus for the Mustang that's a minus for an F-type is it can be had in a manual too.
    Meh - superiority isn't really a reason not to do it in my book. Without the sales generated by a @240bhpish 4 post, they may not have the financial viability to do the rip snorting F Type R - swings and roundabouts.

An economical 4 pot in a lower tax bands will open it up to company car/fleet schemes, which will hugely increase the appeal.
    If it makes it less desirable to you then, yeah, not great, but ultimately, are you their target market? Which would make your snobbery even less relevant
    JLR know what they're doing these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Or 2.2 4 pot diesel XF's?

Rides
    Jonny just doesnt want to see poor people in them

THIS

Poor people should have their driving licences taken off them completely so they can't clog up the road with their nasty Vauxhall Agilas (feel free to substitute any Ford, Mark ).

Rides
    I guess they are going after Z4 and SLK sales with it may even pick up a few MX5 buyers who dont mind spending a bit more to get a Jag. Plus they knew the Mustang was coming to town
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I think it's going to be more Cayman level TBH - the V6 coupe is the cheapest F Type and is just over 50k - I'd guess the 4 pot would be mid 40's.

Rides
    The European Mustang... So shouldn't it be badged 'Capri'?

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    yeah im sure you are right, I've just always associated Mustangs with V8's, So for me it would have to have a V8. To me it's what makes having an americanish (in this case) car.

Rides
    An economical 4 pot in a lower tax bands will open it up to company car/fleet schemes, which will hugely increase the appeal.
    I hadn't realised there was such a huge fleet market for premium badge 2-seater dropheads

If it makes it less desirable to you then, yeah, not great, but ultimately, are you their target market? Which would make your snobbery even less relevant
    What you mean middle-aged, affluent, no mortgage snob with 50K to spend on upgrading their car ?

Probably more relevant than you think

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Suspect View Post
    yeah im sure you are right, I've just always associated Mustangs with V8's, So for me it would have to have a V8. To me it's what makes having an americanish (in this case) car.
    I dont see it as a muscle car really, more a proper sports GT and like JW said its a perfect SX replacement In red and if a squint a bit it sort of reminds me of my old 14a

it might even disappoint some Americans as it will actually be nice to drive
    Mark is right.

Rides

A 4 cylinder F-Type won't be nearly as "limp" as you think it will. I can guarantee that.

It won't be 240PS either. The current 2.0l is in performance terms compared to the next generation motor.

Rides
    4pots vs V6's vs V8s

All thats needed is a realignment of attitude, as there is in the bike world

In reality, you get the 600's that are owned by poor people, the 750s for people that want a big bike but are pussies, and of course the all out 1000cc+ proper bikes

by introducing the 4pot in to the Jag range you are allowing the poor people that cant afford the V8 to buy one.

all you need to do is advertise it as the better track car, because its lighter and free revving .... and tell the v6 boys that their car is the best all rounder .. and the V8 owners already know they bought the correct car, so you dont need to cover their eyes in wool.

Rides
    I guess they are going after Z4 and SLK sales with it may even pick up a few MX5 buyers who dont mind spending a bit more to get a Jag. Plus they knew the Mustang was coming to town
    You'd struggle to spend 23K on a brand new MX-5. If a 4-pot Jag was 46K, that's double. I can't see many poeple doubling their budget to get a Jag. They're chalk and cheese anyway as the Jag isn't exactly a small car.

Hopefully they do see the Mustang as a threat.