Thread: Single wiper conversion

Rides

Single wiper conversion

Can anybody who has done this point me in the right direction? isit as simple as just using a longer blade and only using the centre pivot?!

Thanks!!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I believe so. Think you use the longer of the two blades and park it in the middle of the screen.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    There has to be more changes involved.
    The standard mechanism moves each arm through about 100degrees. A single wiper is going to need closer to 180degrees of movement, and even then coverage will be pretty awful.

The height of the windscreen limits blade length to the standard 21inches.

I've never tried to do this btw, just thinking aloud.

Rides
    You would either have

To make the motor crank longer to increase stroke. Then you have to make the link rod longer by (not quite) the amount you extend the motor crank. This will split the angle the wiper crank subtends so it has extension of travel at both ends of stroke.

or

Reduce the wiper pivot crank length to make it sweep a longer arc on same motion and again make the link rod longer to reach it.

The wiper pivots are crap and the loads at the increased pivot crank angles needed for this will wear it out even quicker. Option 2 increases the loading even more so the first is the best.

Or you don't mess with crank and links but just stick the wiper on so it sweeps further over the drivers side and parks halfway up the passenger side. Will look quite twatish.

For how much longer the crank arms and link extension should be, well that's a question for Dara Ó Briain's School of Hard Sums. Or you suck it and see.

I would think that any car that is OEM equipped with a single wiper has direct drive with the wiper arm bolted on the motor shaft.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    The conversions I've seen have been shoddy at best and leave large areas uncovered. Tbh the single wiper can't clear the screen as quickly as the standard set up.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    It's not 1995, no-one thinks a single wiper conversion is still cool do they??

Rides
    retro fit a mech of an old merc single wiper, perfect.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by foghorn leghorn View Post
    retro fit a mech of an old merc single wiper, perfect.
    I was thinking Merc E class had a single wiper with a gearbox of sorts so the wiper swept in almost a square pattern
    it was cool on the merc when they came out yonks ago,but I wouldn't bother on an S body
    the arm is so chunky and probably needs the merc wiper motor and complete assembly to possibly work
    the stock Datsun wiper motor will melt and burst into flames

Rides
    C&E class, you would take the whole assembley including the motor and position it where the center wiper arm pivot is situated, hooked up to extended power supply cable.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    It's not 1995, no-one thinks a single wiper conversion is still cool do they??
    This! I thought I'd stumbled into the citroen saxo forum!

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    I suspect someone was looking for a quick and dirty workaround for a worn wiper rotor

Rides
    I dont even have a rotor its gone missing, lol just wanted a single for looks, its only going on the race/drift car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    You would either have

To make the motor crank longer to increase stroke. Then you have to make the link rod longer by (not quite) the amount you extend the motor crank. This will split the angle the wiper crank subtends so it has extension of travel at both ends of stroke.

or

Reduce the wiper pivot crank length to make it sweep a longer arc on same motion and again make the link rod longer to reach it.

The wiper pivots are crap and the loads at the increased pivot crank angles needed for this will wear it out even quicker. Option 2 increases the loading even more so the first is the best.

Or you don't mess with crank and links but just stick the wiper on so it sweeps further over the drivers side and parks halfway up the passenger side. Will look quite twatish.

For how much longer the crank arms and link extension should be, well that's a question for Dara Ó Briain's School of Hard Sums. Or you suck it and see.
    To find the length of the arms position the wiper at one extent of the sweep and the motor arm at it's corresponding position, mark on the motor arm where the pivot point on the wiper link falls (use card/masking tape to extend the motor arm if it's too short), do the same for the other side.
    If the two marks fall in the same place then that's the new pivot point, or if they're close the mid point will probably do you'll just get slightly less sweep.