Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What large estate car

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides

What large estate car

I'm looking at getting a new daily and thinking of going for a decent size estate derv.

So far I'm thinking of

Mondeo titanium x sport 2011-2013 2.0/2.2 derv

Modern, Like the toys, radar cruise, reversing camera keyless entry etc etc is a real plus on some cars, boot space is decent and cheap to run decent tow rating. Like how it drives

BMW 530/535d pre 07 most likely

Like the looks and badge, power from 335d. Less toys but high tow rating.

Audi A6 3.0d lemans

Don't know much about them but like the looks, size, power and Quattro. Look older and not as nice inside as the others imo. Again can tow well.

What would you be looking at with a budget of 10k tops, any one got experience of the above?

Don't want a saloon or big petrol due to mpg. Needs to be able to tow 1.8 tonnes ideally.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Would prob take the Skoda Superb over all of those.
    1.8 ton is a fair bit of heft to tow as well...

Rides
    the mondeo's can tow 2T, although I struggled to find any decent online reviews on what they are like towing at this capacity. the towball weight isn't very much.
    quite a few people in drifting use the e60/61 520D to tow with and seem to have no drama's.

im interested in what you find on this one as I have been looking at pretty much the exact same thing so I can sack off my truck. I expect a trailer that can fit an S-body on to weigh about 600kg for a non tilt bed, just don't get one that is plated as 3500kg maximum weight as you cant legally tow it at all with a car only rated to tow 2000kg
    Last edited by green_rs13; 26-02-2017 at 15:04.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Tow limit isn't a deal breaker, just want something that has a fair tow capacity, won't be dragging the sx around with it.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Would prob take the Skoda Superb over all of those.
    1.8 ton is a fair bit of heft to tow as well...
    Skoda is such an ugly car

Rides
    i had a 3.0TDI A6 saloon for a while. Didn't want to like it as it was German but it was an ace big lump of a thing. I'd have another.

The only reason I got rid was issues with the electric handbrake. Cables get stretched and it sticks on. Easyish fix though. Mine was '55reg and had done 165k when I moved it on. Sailed through an MOT no probs.
    power-crazed Head-Mod

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Skoda is such an ugly car
    It might be but lets not forget how well it does the practical side, its won plenty of awards and is good at shifting folk and stuff about.
    Lets also not forget that none of these (even the mondeo) will be much fun.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Cheers bob.

As sad as it sounds I'd like something which looks good on the drive. Couldn't justify spending money on something I don't like the look of.

Rides
    Alfa romeo 159 estate would eb my choice

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Bit bias here as you know I have the same Mondeo but the hatch. Im rather taken with it, the first comfortable car I have owned. It's the simple stuff, the key batteries you can just change yourself for 2 quid. It went into the garage for a roll bar link and it came out with bill that was under 100 quid, my BMW never did that. It hooks up to the phones easy, mine has the stereo upgrade with sub in the boot and it's great. The radar cruise though is not so good. I find it brakes when you don't want it too
    I was also looking at a 5 series BMW at the time and just felt I got more for my money with the Mondeo and running costs that were better.
    The only downside is it will be worth pennies at the end of it all but I plan to keep it for a while so I don't care.

Rides
    Any Volvo estate with the 2 litre 5 cylinder D4 engine, 177bhp 400nm torque, and will pull 45mpg all day long and tow anything

Serviced a v70 D4 the other day and it was lovely to drive and to work on

I am biased as I have a c30 D4 myself but if I was going for an estate that would definitely be my pick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    What about a big 4x4 instead?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    What about a big 4x4 instead?
    They're retarded as a daily due to horrendous mpg. Volvo V70 D5 would get my vote. Really comfy, quick and feel absolutely solid.

Rides
    Depends on what your annual mileage is. It's really surprising how little effect MPG has when your annual mileage is to the shops and back.

Anyway, I adored my BMW and I'd highly recommend one. My current Volvo is a lot cheaper but feels it. I'd be much happier back in my 330d - and with the budget you have it's where I'd go.

Rides
    V70's have been the best cars I have ever owned - reliable and comfy, tow very well and good on fuel if you get a diesel

Rides
    Personally I would avoid all 2nd hand diesels especially if the rumours are true about them getting taxed to fook soon. Also they all seem to turn into money pits, injectors, fuel pumps, turbos, DPFs etc etc.

I would just go petrol and take the hit on the mpg. which if you are buying a newer car anyway wont be that much worse. If you can find a 1.6 Ecoboost Mondeo, it has 160bhp and will do 40mpg

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...=MONDEO&page=1
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Personally I would avoid all 2nd hand diesels especially if the rumours are true about them getting taxed to fook soon. Also they all seem to turn into money pits, injectors, fuel pumps, turbos, DPFs etc etc.

I would just go petrol and take the hit on the mpg. which if you are buying a newer car anyway wont be that much worse. If you can find a 1.6 Ecoboost Mondeo, it has 160bhp and will do 40mpg

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...=MONDEO&page=1
    I don't get why people are scared of diesels, I'm a diesel mechanic and look after a diesel fleet, it's very rarely we have pumps and injectors go (unless it's a ford because let's face it, they're shite)

The only dpf issues we have had is with fiats

And turbos are a rarity too, think I've changed more on a petrol than diesel

Bloke at work has a new 1.6 ecoboost Mondeo and has nothing but problems, that and the fact it pulls 25-30mpg tops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Ford dont actually make the fuel systems but you already know that

BMW 2.0d is know to have turbo and timing chain issues, the PSA diesels have their issues (also fitted to Fords and Volvos)

My Mondeo had injectors, turbo and DMF/clutch in the time I had it as well.

DPFs fail if they dont get a good seeing too now and then.

2nd hand prices will also plummet in the next couple of years IMO so if you buy one now it will be worth fook all in 2-3 years time.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    My e46 diesel had garbage reliability, overly complicated tripe.

Dont want a diesel because they suck unless you do loads of miles.

Rides
    Back to the future , most modern stuff is tosh .

The BMW E61's are unreliable .

My recommendation .

The legendary E39 530d Touring Sport .