Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chassis Repairs

Rides

Chassis Repairs

Can anyone recommend a good place to have body work repairs done on S14. I'm talking proper restoration work so it looks original not plates welded on to pass the MOT. Cars been sat for 10 years so finally time to get it sorted out, I've owned it for over 20 years now so would be nice to get out in it again!
    Cheers, cheers, cheers.

Rides
    SR autobodies.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    SR autobodies.
    Tried him, getting no where! I get the impression he's not interested in it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_S14 View Post
    Tried him, getting no where! I get the impression he's not interested in it.
    Last I heard, he has a 2 year waiting list, probably not too fussed about booking stuff in that far in advance.
    You could look around for classic car restorers within an area you'd be willing to travel to. Just be prepared for some hefty quotes as the work you are describing that you want done is very labour intensive!

Rides
    I'm expecting £12-15k for all welding work and complete overhaul of underside, I'll take the car anywhere in mainland Britain so not too fussed how far away anyone is providing the work is good.

Rides
    15k?!?

What are you expecting to have done?!?

Rides
    Have a chat with JD Motorsport Engineering, might be a trek for you as based just outside Norwich (https://www.jdme.co.uk/).
    Tell them Toby said to call (hopefully that'll help!).

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    15k?!?

What are you expecting to have done?!?
    Welding and chassis repairs, undersealing everything and overhaul of the underside parts etc.

Rides
    glad im pretty handy at this sort of stuff now i know how much it costs.

i had mine blasted and ended up doing rear pockets and the backs of the sills and the usual spots.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_S14 View Post
    Welding and chassis repairs, undersealing everything and overhaul of the underside parts etc.
    You're no where near that money, not even close. If you find a garage that will do it for that much, run away.

I have built the entire underside of mine with new parts and/or fully refurbished assemblies, even new Nissan hardware, for 1/4 of that and was quoted less than 1/3 of your budget to have the whole underside stripped, repaired and refinished by a very reputable restoration shop.

Rides
    You're no where near that money, not even close. If you find a garage that will do it for that much, run away.

I have built the entire underside of mine with new parts and/or fully refurbished assemblies, even new Nissan hardware, for 1/4 of that and was quoted less than 1/3 of your budget to have the whole underside stripped, repaired and refinished by a very reputable restoration shop.
    That surprises me. Redish quote 150 hours labour and £3-6000 parts for an underside restoration on an E46 M3.

Rides
    I don't know what to say to that. I have all new arms, struts, refurbished subframes, knuckles, new OEM hubs, new OEM hardware, R33 rear brake conversion, the diff with it's labour, refurbished driveshafts etc and I'm touching no where near that money. Including duties on imported parts etc.

Rides

It probably involves a lot more than what I said, that was at SR Autobodies, I’ll DM you what they said.

Rides
    SR are amazing but they are super expensive. Not at all to say they’re not worth it, but there are more cost effective means of completing the car. Save yourself some money and do the assemblies yourself. Even if you just buy spares and get them refurbished.
    Last edited by piman2k; 26-05-2021 at 06:13.

Rides
    Rust repairs vary in quality and price depending on how bad it is. If its really rotten and you want oem looking repairs done then it'll be more expensive.
    If the rust repairs that need doing are the usual bad areas like sills, inner and outer arches, turrets, rear panel and rear 1/4 pockets etc, then it won't be a 3-4k job. Then on top of that there's bodywork and paints costs.
    Restoration work isn't a "one price for all cars" type of thing and most places will judge it on a worst case basis.

If you want, post a few pictures up of all the spots you have found that need work and it might make it easier to suggest a budget to work to

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Rides
    The rear ends of my sills were starting to rot. The outside skin and wheel arches were rock solid. So no outer body work or paint was needed. To have that little bit of rot cut out and new metal welded in cost me 900 quid. It definitely isn't cheap getting this sort of work done.

Rides
    To give some clarity to my point, I am £4,700 into the underside of my car, but for that I have:

• Refurbished rear subframe with GKTech reinforcement plates, GKTech diff mountings and Powerflex Bushes
    • Refurbished Front subframe and transmission mount plate.
    • All lower control arms refurbished with Powerflex bushes and Moog K9820s
    • GKTech spherical bearings for the rear hubs
    • GKTech alignment arms
    • OEM wheel bearings front and rear
    • Brand new Whiteline ARBs with droplinks
    • Brand new Tein Flex Zs
    • SR Autosource nut and bolt kit for the rear subframe
    • Reconditioned driveshafts
    • R33 Rear brake conversion (complete)
    • 5 boxes of OEM Nissan nuts and bolts to replace every nut and bolt that the SR Autosource kit doesn't.
    • Replacement outer sills and rear pockets (metalwork only)

If you include the diff, its backplate, the duties and labour you can add another £1500 for that. But all I'm left with is brake and fuel lines to replace, and I have the entire set of 67k mile parts on the car to sell which should recoup me another £500 or so.

The only thing is, I've had to arrange these jobs myself so it's required some footwork but I consider my time to be zero cost.

My next step was going to be to build these assemblies up and send the car to a restoration centre to have the metalwork done and the underside reconditioned, but I'd still have to hit £8k on metalwork alone to get to your lower quote and I have a tonne of fancy aftermarket bits as well.

Rides
    But what if the OPs car is twice or 3 times as bad as yours rust wise?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I'm not staking any claim that all cars are the same, but I highly doubt his estimate came from an in real life quote given his location. And like I said, while phenomenal, that service provider is expensive.

Rides
    This is what they said.

For all welding on car and to bring her back to life
    Will need a full underside overhaul

Full strip
    Welding
    Underseal
    New fuel/brake lines
    All bushes
    Shocks/bearings

This is will see another long stint of life to her

So for sills/inner sills/floor sections/jack points,chass section
    Bulkhead repairs
    Inner Arches**welding
    Around 7-8k

All bushes/fuel pipes/brake lines/ wheel bearings
    Parts alone is around 800-1400 depends on specs you require

To overhaul the underside parts and fit all parts**
    Underseal
    Bare metal primer/seam seal/underseal,your colour choice underside

powder coat all parts,paint parts
    Over haul/diff shafts/props/hubs ect and arms/subframes in your colour choices

Around 5-5.5k

This**will pretty much see you a concourse underside**better than new