Thread: Electric water pump ca18det

Rides

Electric water pump ca18det

Hi mates,
    Have someone experience or already installed an electric water pump on the CA?
    Just heard about this system but I can not found anything for CA on internet :/
    Only for SR and VG..

Thanks!!

Enviado desde mi Galaxy S6

Rides
    I've run one on a CA powered hillclimb car. Unlike some engines, the CA doesn't benefit hugely from having one. My setupnwas brilliant at pulling the temps out of the temps after a run though, ignition off but both 10" SPAL fans running and the davies craig water pump and the water temps would plumnet in 3-4 mins.
    You need to be careful though, you shouldn't use a thermostat but don't remove entirely, take a thermostat and remove the spring and plunger, just leaving the other ring with small centre hole. This ensures some restriction and keeps the water speed up through the thermo housing.
    I didn't use one, but would recommend, the Davies Craig programmable water temp controller. It basically slows the pump speed at higher rpm and increase it a slower rpm when the engine needs it, the opposite to a mechanical fan driven by the crank.
    I wouldn't consider an electric pump for a road car though, no need

Rides
    Thanks for that complete and interesting info!!

The idea with this setup was to take off some work to the crank with electros and electric water pump but regarding your experience and your tips maybe I will think twice..
    What's the reason you don't recommend this setup for street car? complexity, money or just because this mod will not be notable in engine power delivery at any range of revs?

Rides
    Mechanical water pumps do the job for a street car, are cheap and last many many thousands of miles. Electric aftermarket pumps won't last that time and if they fail the engines damaged. For a race car where it may do a few hundred miles a year, and all parts are considered a consumable, longevity isnt an issue. They do give you the ability to vary the flow rate independently of the crank rpm which is useful, often due to weight considerations and packaging, the cooling system on a race car will be marginal at standstill, soothe pump running flat out is helpful. It's hugely helpful on bringing temps down after a run too where the car goes from 100% to idle in a few yards and can overheat in the paddock.

Rides
    All clear and I will keep the oem water pump and only change the viscous fan for an electric fans
    thanks a lot!!!

Rides
    No problem :-)
    're fans, either find an Oem fan from another car or use a decent aftermarket such as SPAL, avoid cheap eBay junk, they just make a noise!

Rides
    That's true jejej
    Thanks!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CNHSS1 View Post
    You need to be careful though, you shouldn't use a thermostat but don't remove entirely, take a thermostat and remove the spring and plunger, just leaving the other ring with small centre hole. This ensures some restriction and keeps the water speed up through the thermo housing.
    I think I can understand about the restriction but why is the high water speed through the thermo housing?

Rides
    It just needs a restriction somewhere in the system I assume, the thermostat performs this operation when open on a normal system so seems sensible to leave the restriction in the same place, just bust the spring centre out of an original thermostat.
    I know of a couple of guys that ran leccy pumps on bike engines single sweaters that had horrendous overheating simply as they ignored the suggestion by Davies Craig, then added it back in and cured instantly so is worth doing imho

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Skun View Post
    I will keep the oem water pump and only change the viscous fan for an electric fans
    No don't do that either.

One of the best setups for cooling is the stock fan with the stock fan shroud. Ripping that out and sticking in two electric fans is a massive downgrade.

Considering your location is Mallorca I would run new OEM waterpump, (working) stock fan, stock fan shroud and a larger radiator.
    If you're still worried about temperatures then consider adding an oil cooler setup as well.
    Last edited by R3K1355; 01-03-2017 at 08:54.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    No don't do that either.

One of the best setups for cooling is the stock fan with the stock fan shroud. Ripping that out and sticking in two electric fans is a massive downgrade.

Considering your location is Mallorca I would run new OEM waterpump, (working) stock fan, stock fan shroud and a larger radiator.
    If you're still worried about temperatures then consider adding an oil cooler setup as well.
    Really?
    Well the true is at the moment I have no problems at all with cooling system, ( fan and couwling ) but I was looking for take out some work to the crank and also time ago read this article where they test different cooling solutions and a good two electro fans seems performs better than viscous fan

https://www.enginebasics.com/Advance...omparison.html

Last edited by Skun; 02-03-2017 at 08:40.