View Poll Results: Would you be interested in attending an Irish Weekender type event?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Irish Weekender 2015 - we need your input

Rides

Mini Irish Weekender 2015 - we need your input

Hey all,

As some of you know I've wanted to do a mini Weekender in Ireland for the past couple of years, however for various reasons it was not possible. Well, from speaking to friends and members both at home and in the UK its looks like 2015 is going to be a goer

We are still in the VERY early stages of planning this, however I am aiming for late spring/early summer to try get some decent weather and avoid clashing with any major UK/European-based events.

What Im looking for at this point is feedback from people on a few things, firstly if you are UK based, whether you'd be interested in attending an event in Ireland? Secondly for the locals too, what form would you like the event to take, or what would we have to have on to encourage you to attend? Any absolute deal breakers etc?

Please vote on the above poll too

Couple of ideas below to get the ball rolling:

1. Traditional Weekender-style event, with track day, camping, bbqs and usual music, messing, drink and good times!

2. Driving tour of Ireland, like a mini-Gumball rally, taking in some of the most beautiful & epic roads in the country, and stopping over in some of our best night spots.

3. Some sort of combination of the above?

Like I say, we are very much brainstorming at the moment, so appreciate all and any ideas you may have. Also should mention that this had no bearing on the usual club annual UK Weekender, which is a completely separate event and will continue as normal.

Thanks all!
    Clint

Rides
    A 50/50 grip and drift day in mondello would be good fun then a drive the next day? Not too far off so the uk lads arnt rushing for the boat?

Rides
    Personally I would go for the old skool set up of the weekender...
    and a 50/50 drift and drag would be cool! but thats just me ha.
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    I like the road tour idea, mini Gumball style. 50/50 track day would be good too, just might be hard to find a track suitable. Definitely never seen anyone camping at Mondello

With the road tour most of us would get to see roads and towns we've never seen before, and could either camp or stay in hotels along the way. Then again if we're drinking every night and driving again first thing the next morning, that might get tedious after a couple of days on the piss

Rides
    Trackday on a saturday and drive half the country on the sunday, , we've plenty scenic roads around

Rides
    Cool idea but it's very hard to get Mondello on a weekend and any of the other tracks are crap. Mini gumball would work a lot better. Then you can either stay in a normal camp site or get permission for a field somewhere or hotel. We don't have to cover a huge distance each day. You can see a lot in 3 days, say 2 stages a day. Plus you can get the cops on side by doing it for a charity.

Rides
    Quite like the idea of a mini Gumball around Ireland

Rides
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I agree 100% that Mondello is the only track worth doing for a 50/50 trackday, and I am speaking to them at the moment to find out if it's a viable option for us. We want the weekend to be pretty cost effective for people too, so won't be any use if they want massive money. If we can secure the circuit at a reasonable rate, and they aren't keen on camping, I may be able to secure a campsite nearby, but we'll cross that bridge once I've gotten pricing from them.

The mini Gumball could be awesome, and is very doable, just takes a fair bit more planning and organisation than an arrive & drive track weekend. I happy to do either option, just want to try and please as many people as possible.

Question, isn't there a hill climb course in Cork/Kerry somewhere, similar to Prescott Hill in the UK?

Rides
    I'd be interested in a Mini Gumball round some nice roads on a saturday and finishing up near mondello that night, followed by 50/50 track day on sunday. The idea being that we could either camp out or stay local on the saturday night meaning people don't have to be driving too early on sunday morning if they have been drinking.
    My S14.5 Rebuild Thread - clicky --
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=468362

Rides
    old school style would be good fun. with the mini gumball the gards would be all over us and be a bit of a pain in the arse.outdoor kart tracks could work also for some driving fun????

Rides
    The gumball is no issue if all cars are legal and it's arranged in advance. Like I said, include a charity and it's all good. Obviously there can be 0 messing though.

The hill climb track is an actual road that's in use normally.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttly View Post

Ah, bummer.

Rides
    Gumball is a bit large scale maybe, but i think that a tour of some of what a county has to offer is a great idea. I wouldn't be the greatest fan of the idea of a track day for it. I think something with the following format would work a treat:

Friday - evening: meet and greet - from about 6pm. Location would be somewhere central, a large hotel with plenty of parking where we can all stay, close to the most likely place/port that people would come over on the ferry.
    Saturday - morning: Scenic drive, leaving at 9am. Drive to take about 3-4 hours, including stops. Aim to have lunch at around 12-2pm. Go for another drive, some scenic routes and fun roads maybe. Back to a hotel for about 6pm (should be a different one to friday night IMO). Shower, shave, party.
    Sunday - Depends on ferry times, etc. I reckon a fairly local car meet, invite other car clubs and enthusiasts for a look at our cars, get them to bring theirs too. Maybe we gatecrash a cars and coffee event?. nothing too hectic as heads could be sore. Group lunch and we all go our separate ways.

Rides
    Can use my place as the Holyhead Staging Post Clint

I`ll deffo be there no matter what the format

Rides
    I'd be up for a gumball-style trip around Ireland or a trackday.

As discussed with you already Clint, the only track I can think of in Ireland that really caters for where the S-bodies really come into their own, their mid-to-high-range power delivery & moderate-to-long gearing is Kirkistown in the North. Mondello as a track is a very heavy 2nd-to-top-of-3rd with maybe one 4th if you're running a 6-speed kind of track; Kirkistown you'll easily see 4th with those long straights & sweeping bends - I'm not sure how drifting would work there but it'd be certainly worth an ask.

Just some food for thought before Mondello's the only option considered for the track-related Mini Irish Weekender idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie
    JP will be back, he is like Christ, only he comes back more frequently

Rides
    If you can swing Mondello then I'm there
    I'm not major keen on convoying nowadays so probably wouldn't be massively interested in a gumball-esque adventure unless we had to use sub £500 sheds or something just to make it interesting

Rides
    Any updates on this? Would love to do a 50/50 day in Mondello with the camping etc!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Ah, bummer.

Why's that a bummer...it means we can drive it for free?

I'd be intersted in coming over, and I suspect plenty of others from North Wales and North West England would, but the extortionate ferry costs could be a deal breaker, it's cheaper to get to the Nurburgring from Anglesey than it is Dublin!
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Watfor(d), but now temp in Stutton, Zuffuk..., then temp in Armitage (Bog centre of the world)... then FINNNALY to Quarry Bonk, Brum!! puff puff.
    Rides
    Subject to date, I'd be up for this, & I wonder if enough UK SXOC'ers were up for the ferry across, we could go to the ferry companies with a decent number & get a deal?

R.
    Last edited by BWanderers; 13-12-2014 at 12:22. Reason: cos i can't pyte

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ray09 View Post
    Any updates on this? Would love to do a 50/50 day in Mondello with the camping etc!!
    It's definitely happening, just not decided on what format the weekend will take just yet

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Why's that a bummer...it means we can drive it for free?
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    I'd be intersted in coming over, and I suspect plenty of others from North Wales and North West England would, but the extortionate ferry costs could be a deal breaker, it's cheaper to get to the Nurburgring from Anglesey than it is Dublin!
    The Holyhead ferry is about €300/£240 return for car & driver early in the year, about €50 more during the summer. Extra passos are €35 return at any time. So it's manageable if there's 2 to a car. Obviously we will want to keep costs on this side to a minimum so it's not costing a fortune, but at the same time we want to put on a blinder of an event, so that balancing act is where it lies at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BWanderers View Post
    Subject to date, I'd be up for this, & I wonder if enough UK SXOC'ers were up for the ferry across, we could go the the ferry companies with a decent number & get a deal?

R.
    Definitely worth looking into. We used to go through a company called 360SL who do Motorsport logistics, but the savings weren't great this year. The key number really is 10 cars to get anything decent off.