Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baffled sump questions?

Rides

Baffled sump questions?

Well I've done a bit of googling ands can't really find a definitive answer so I thought I'd pop it up for debate, who is running a baffled sump? And how nesecary raw they. The reason I ask is I knocked the big ends out of my sr at Bedford and havnt managed to bottom out the reasons why

I was looking at this sump
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-200...item35d784009a
    Has anyone fitted one? If so what was it like?

Aaron
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Are they essential? I'd say no, I know of a few high and low spec SR's that get abused drifting on track running standard sumps etc and have been absolutely fine. However on my new SR build I have a Tomei Baffled Sump to go on, the genuine item of what you linked to which I'd like to think of it as an extra step of prevention just for piece of mind if that makes sense?

Rides
    That looks to be a copy of the Tomei sump I have. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd risk using that ebay pan as it's rather cheap. I fitted a baffled pan as my car's primarily used on track and I was worried about oil starvation. The other benefit is the increase in oil capacity. I picked the Tomei over the Greddy as I preferred the idea of a fabricated pan as opposed to a cast one. Not a fan of cast aluminium as it can be quite porous.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Not a fan of cast aluminium as it can be quite porous.
    That's what quality control at the manufacturer's side is for.

Rides
    To be fair £100 for a fabricated sump like the one in the link is a reasonable price. I wouldnt pay much more, say £150 at the very most, but I know how much it costs to make stuff like this.

Rides
    Don't avoid spending on important parts. I'm with Blaktooth on this, the genuine item's quality looks far superior than the copy in the link. And I agree with the cast vs fabricated point too, another reason why I didn't go for a Greddy unit.

Rides
    Although tomei ones had failures when they started to be made in China due to baffles coming lose. And are only now being made back in Japan.

Rides
    The quality of the Tomei looks good. However, it was a bit of a bitch to fit. The increased length makes fitting the thing blooming tricky. Plus I had to cut a sliver off the front edge of the cross member to allow me access to the screws at the back. No big deal really but after I'd pasted the flange with gasket sealant it became a race against time to get the pan bolted up before the sealant set.

I'd seen one thread on DW I think with someone who claimed the baffles came loose and destroyed their engine but who knows if the pan was to blame? I'm sure there were other threads on the internet about dodgy Greddy pans and having experienced the shocking quality of Greddy exhaust manifolds I don't have much faith in their products.

Rides
    As mentioned all ready tomei did have QC issues on these originally with them being made in china. One of the baffle pins wasnt tacked in place so was causing the flap to come off. I have one of these faulty ones but luckily no damage just welded the pin in place.
    Not sure if theres still a back log on them as they have on the elbows which passed through the same QC guy lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    The quality of the Tomei looks good. However, it was a bit of a bitch to fit. The increased length makes fitting the thing blooming tricky. Plus I had to cut a sliver off the front edge of the cross member to allow me access to the screws at the back. No big deal really but after I'd pasted the flange with gasket sealant it became a race against time to get the pan bolted up before the sealant set.

I'd seen one thread on DW I think with someone who claimed the baffles came loose and destroyed their engine but who knows if the pan was to blame? I'm sure there were other threads on the internet about dodgy Greddy pans and having experienced the shocking quality of Greddy exhaust manifolds I don't have much faith in their products.

I think the baffle plate falling off it could either get sucked up onto the oil strainer and block it completely
    or at least starve its flow to the pump if it got stuck under the strainer,
    on the stock sr sump the strainer is only 1.5mm off the sump(red tops and guess bent cam is same)
    so I guess the aftermarket sumps run same clearance between sump bottom and strainer/oil pick up
    the other possible is when the plate comes off the oil can now flow freely into the wing or wider section of the sump
    so helping the oil move away from the strainer and doing the opposite of what the sumps supposed to be doing really
    I bought a Greddy sump for mine (well over £400) and the casting was not that great tbh
    It wasn't porous afaik but it had an air of the casting mould had seen some usage action so the logos and cooling fins were not sharp
    and precise as its price tag would suggest
    the tomei sump looks better but them little studs and nuts look fiddly to fit

Rides
    I got a japspeed cast jobbie. Quality is adequate. Gives me piece of mind on track with hard cornering.

It's easy to fit, just take your time and make sure you clean off the old gasket. There's a guide on here somewhere.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Forum Fiend v1.2.9.

Rides
    we were fitting a japspeed one to my mates car and found it was full of sand from when they cast them in the factory. I bet there was enough to fill a 'shot glass'.

Rides
    Japspeed castings are diabolical. I sent two diff plates back as I could run my hand over both and it came out gritty and silver. No chance if that going near my engine.

Rides
    That one in the link is japspeed. They just sell a load of crap brought in for next to nothing they sell lots of it and can make a profit on just swaping out faulty parts as they was so cheap to buy in.

you can have sumps custom made in a few places but I think it would be a bit more than 100 quid.

I'd avoid tomei that poor guy on driftworks built a epic sr22 and to have a baffle break off and kill the motor.

Rides
    Are there other ones on the market (good ones) if not what would the general consensus be.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    That one in the link is japspeed. They just sell a load of crap brought in for next to nothing they sell lots of it and can make a profit on just swaping out faulty parts as they was so cheap to buy in.

you can have sumps custom made in a few places but I think it would be a bit more than 100 quid.

I'd avoid tomei that poor guy on driftworks built a epic sr22 and to have a baffle break off and kill the motor.
    Then again, theres alot of people using these worldwide without any problems. Ideally, it'd be better to check the pins over with a fine comb before fitting, well I will do when mine arrives. The other thing to consider is that Tomei experienced problems with production in China, whereas I'm led to believe they are Japanese made nowadays...

Rides
    Recently purchased a Greedy big sump, from RHD Japan.
    Fitted it a couple of weeks ago,very impressed with quality,fitted really well and increase in oil capacity very welcome!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Japspeed castings are diabolical. I sent two diff plates back as I could run my hand over both and it came out gritty and silver. No chance if that going near my engine.
    I am genuinely amazed that you of all people bought something from japspeed!
    I mean after the XSpower bashing and slating you rank japspeed as better! and bought their parts ???
    and rightly so a 200sx diff back plate should not go near any engine

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    I am genuinely amazed that you of all people bought something from japspeed!
    I mean after the XSpower bashing and slating you rank japspeed as better! and bought their parts ???
    and rightly so a 200sx diff back plate should not go near any engine
    It was years ago during my initial build phase and one of the experiences that let's me shame shit quality with facts and not just stigma

Rides
    I've had a Japspeed cast baffled sump for a year now, no issues. The product quality was absolutely fine. I loctited the screws on the baffle plates for good measure.

Like the OP, I span a big end bearing and wanted to do as much as possible to avoid the same thing happening again, especially since it was the first outing on sticky track tyres.

I believe Japspeed had quite a rep for poor quality parts a few years ago, but they have definitely improved. I've had a few bits off them in the last 2 years and never been disappointed. It's Chinese gear, fair enough, but its certainly not crap!