Thread: H-Dev 350Z build

Rides

H-Dev 350Z build

I thought I'd start a thread about our 350Z - just to show what we're up to.

A bit of background: Our 350 is a 2004 UK GT model and was bought as a cat-c write off from a friend of mine

The car had hit a post while traveling along the motorway - the post went through the air con radiator, the engine coolant radiator and smashed a hole in the sump.

Luckily the body work and everything else under the car wasn't damaged at all. So all we had to do was to find and fit a replacement engine. Pretty straight forward.

This is the replacement engine - just a completely standard VQ35DE

We're going to be tracking the car so main priorities are sort the brakes out, get the suspension uprated and try and get the weight down.

I'd already tried some Performance Friction 01 pads in our other 350 and they were exceptionally good. The only down side was the amount of dust they produce and the cost - they're very expensive. This time I though I'd go to the other end of the market and try some yellow stuff pads. Although these weren't as good at the PF pads, they actually held up really well on track. And value for money wise they'll be tough to beat. They do tend to wear the disks quite quickly, but as we're only using fairly cheap standard discs it's not too bad.

We fitted a set of Racing Logic coilovers - these aren't a very well known brand but we wanted to give them a try. They're actually very good for a fast road car - I'll probably end up swapping them out later on for something stiffer and more track focused.

We fitted Superpro full alignment kit - this totally transformed the handling of the car - strongly recommended.

Superpro kit:

Some rear bushes fitted:

Old bushes:

As well as using the car on track, we also use it to develop products. We've tried and tested our grounding kits, de-cat pipes and plenum spacers. I've also remapped the car using the Uprev system. Just these mods took our car from 279 to 309bhp - which is around +11% - not bad at all for an NA engine.

We've also fitted an oil cooler:

We currently are testing some H-Dev high flow cats - at the moment they don't fit properly (they hang too low - see pics) - when this is sorted and we've checked that the car will pass an MOT they'll be available for sale. Our current supplier is messing us about at the moment so we don't have a lead time yet.

Next up is to get some weight out of the car. As standard it weighs 1471kg - bloody heavy

We've started to strip it - it'll be getting a full cage soon. We've also got bucket seats to go in and will probably go for a carbon boot and plastic windows. I'm hoping to get around 100-150kg out of it. Not sure if that'll be possible yet though.

I'll stick up more pics as we go - Kyle is fabricating mounts for the bucket seats at the moment. When they're fitted we'll removing all the interior bracing and fitting a full weld in cage.jpg[/img]

We fitted Superpro full alignment kit - this totally transformed the handling of the car - strongly recommended.

Superpro kit:
    [img]http

Banned
    Rides
    Nice thread - How much was the poly bush kitfor the 350?

Rides
    RRP is £1182.79 for the whole lot with adjustable geometry. We've got special offers on SuperPro stuff at the moment: http://www.h-dev.co.uk/index.php?cPa...9_293_483_1406

Totally transformed the handling of the car.
    Last edited by Jez; 14-01-2012 at 19:39.

Rides
    Got the seats mounted:

And striped some more interior:

Its booked in for cage fitting next week

Rides
    Like it. Always had a soft spot for the 350z so will keep watching this.

Rides
    You gonna go FI with the engine?

Rides
    Not sure to be honest. The standard engines are pretty weak - things start breaking around 400bhp. To go above that you need pistons and rods up to about 600 and then liners over that. I think it'd be more sensible to go for a v8 or an R35 engine.

Rides
    Looks good Jez

Rides
    This forum should have a like button!!

I didnt know the motors were that weak, I've seen various engines in Zeds like 2JZ's etc, would love to see the R35 GTR engine in one though

Rides
    Dropped the car off to get a full weld in cage fitted today

Should get it back towards the end of next week, then we can get interior and cage sprayed - then get it all back together.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    Not sure to be honest. The standard engines are pretty weak - things start breaking around 400bhp. To go above that you need pistons and rods up to about 600 and then liners over that. I think it'd be more sensible to go for a v8 or an R35 engine.
    2jz? v8 turbos would be good, got to be turbo'zzz

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    This is the replacement engine - just a completely standard VQ35DE

you any idea what the engine weighs Jez?

Rides
    Not sure I'm afraid - didn't weigh it.

Rides
    Any updates Jez?

edit. Just looked on your FB page. Looking good!
    Last edited by Mr G; 01-04-2012 at 20:26.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    Any updates Jez?
    Its faster than my one in a straight line and Jez has "interesting" views on lines through corners
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Cage is finished now

Got a 1.5 way Nismo diff fitted too

We got Syvecs up and running on the car too, but we're going to stick with the standard management until they get the CAN bus stuff working to drive the dash and get feeds from the ABS ECU.

I'll be rebuilding the engine soon and then it'll be turbo time