Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: JZS14 Silvia

Rides

JZS14 Silvia

PLEASE SEE PAGE 14/15 FOR THE BUILD THREAD STARTING AGAIN

PHOTOBUCKET CHANGED THE HOSTING RULES

I AM NOW USING FLICKR

Hey guys, so this is now a new very shortened version of my build thread after photobucket took a dump on everybody by changing it's hosting rights

lets wind the clock back 4-5 years at the begining of basically a nut and bolt rebuild haha

my bone stock s14 silvia sr20de n/a import from japan

1 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

mint

2 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

crap

3 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

5 stud swap, wheels and cs2 coilovers

4 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

5 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

rolling road for a baseline to know how much a jz engine could change the car

6 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

126bhp at the wheels, pretty sure a yaris has more

7 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

some work equips i didn't keep for long as the offset wasn't right

8 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

drift day with the n/a to see what it's like, 3rd gear is possible with enough pressure in the back tyres and lots of throttle

9 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

10 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

11 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

then up at a local small track

12 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

new exhaust

13 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

bought an r154 gearbox from phil at driftworks from the r32

14 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

got a 4.3 r32 skyline diff and had it welded

15 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

r33 shafts

16 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

r200 s14 turbo rear subframe as my car had the r180 diff and frame so wasn't any use, had it powedercoatd and solid dw bushes installed

17 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

bought a 1j

18 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

stripped box for shifter extension

19 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

clutch arrived

20 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr
    Last edited by Jonny Mac; 19-12-2017 at 10:32.

Rides
    Does look fresh.
    Shame that mike butchered the arches! tut tut!
    Great shell for your project

Stolen a few of your pics!

Rides
    Looks like a good base car to start with! Little bit of JDM goodness!

Rides
    thanks, picking up the new works on saturday but they need a refurb, will probably throw some on for now as those work ewing or ewalk whatever they are called on the front wont hold air and go flat overnight, bored of that tbh.

decat pipe is now on but it's a japspeed silenced decat pipe and it keeps catching on the speed bumps outside my house, going to have to buy an unsilenced one as they are smaller size wise.

Rides
    10/12/12

soo....haha

rubbish rubbish rubbish!!

anyway....replaced the dash bulbs with some led's

before:

after:

then went to stevie's work to show him the car and ended up getting it on a ramp and fitting my decat pipe, it's too low now though so i'll buy an unsilenced one at some point

also thanks to john for lending me it!

jetwashed!

put this on

Rides
    11/12/12
    cs2's on!

dualtechs removed

rears

low

as much as the dual techs are a good cheap coilover....they have nothing on the cs2's! it's unreal the difference they make. However saying that i did notice they were turned onto full stiffness so i'm sure if i turned that down on the hsd's the ride would have been better, but i never bothered touching them since i had always planned putting on the cs2's

they were sold to jordan who bought my old green 14

15/12/12
    now comes the good bit bought some 18" work equip wheels

the sizes off the top of my head are 18x9 and 18x10 however i'll check them properly when the tyres are off of have a look at the stickers on the inside

they need a refurb so i'm planning on having a polished lip with silver centers....either that or fully polish them but i'll decide nearer the time

they need tyres aswell so that's another bit of time added onto fitting them due to money being tight!

i also bought a pair of 17x9 equips from lawson for skid rims that i'm refurbishing just now

Rides
    23/12/12
    had a sunday to mess around with so went out to john's house, he was fitting his ultralites from his 14 to his 15

we drove down the bottom of his hill and took some pics at the water!

once the nice weather is back we are going down there again with my proper camera

26/12/12

boxing day! was the only day i had time to get stuff done on the car

put on an exhaust from my last s14 i got from jordan, thank you!

swapped a front bearing and fitted solid subframe bushes into my powdercoated uk turbo subframe which will be going on when the car gets stripped later this year

anyone got pins for the brake calipers? i need 2!

loaded with grease!

tried on an equip....thoughts? this is without a spacer

then smashed in rear diff mounts into subframe

then the rest of the mounts

Rides
    done a few things but need to get the new pics off my phone, fitted a set of HID's, amazing difference

going to begin the strip down of the big equips and also for now i think i'm going to rattle can the r33 wheels white as i'm not keen on the colour against the silver car

dropped off my genuine navan plastic spats and a new mirror for the passenger side to stevie to get painted

got more parts for stevie to paint but that will all come at a later date, need a navan rear bumper first

also going to buy an ep racing roof spoiler and some sort of front lip for the kouki bumper

i've driven this car once in the last few weeks....eugh not getting used enough

DRIFT DAY BOOKED AND PAID FOR! N/A Skids.....hmmmm

Rides
    Na skids, gonna be limiter bashing!
    Good progress though.

Rides
    28-1-13
    finally finished polishing all the equip bolts....

then moved onto fitting some HID's

nice and tidy

set the headlamp allignment

crappy night pic, i've left the yellow standard side lights in over led's as i wanted them to look like they were on the car from the factory

31-1-13

won some japspeed strut braces on ebay brand new

only reason i put the back one on was to try eliminate why my car kept wobbling around at the rear

turned out my rear toe adjustment bolts were a mile off, set them both the same and the car drives perfect

technically making this brace pointless now....

8-2-13
    had the car over to my work for some adjustments before the rolling road day

set the timing as it was quite retarded

cleaned afm again

resealed an exhaust joint

removed a buzzing heat sheild from the exhaust

however i did notice something missing:

rear arb? looked up online and some of the 2.0 N/A models don't have one from the factory :S

nevermind just an excuse to buy big ones

john came over aswell for a yap

9-12-13
    SXOC R/R Day

had an excellent day!! brilliant fun

i'd been running late, was waiting on joiners to arrive to fit my kitchen so was a bit tied up, shot over to my work before i left to change my fuel filter

when i arrived at wallace performance i just stayed in the car as i was on next, perfect timing

she may not have been the fastest but was one of the loudest! (apart from that mental skyline) i'll upload a video....

not a very smooth power delivery

also got my navan spats and passenger mirror back paid job is excellent!

and thanks to adrian i've now bought a full set of silvia mats, something my car was lacking!

only annoying thing is now i've found out my car does have fold in mirrors and only the drivers side will fold in so i'll be looking for a passenger side folding mirror and swap the painted cases over on it hopefully sometime

highlight of the day though was being 1bhp above john's s15. I'd joked with him about beating him by 1bhp for a long time and for it to actually happen was unreal

Rides
    The rear strut brace stiffened my car a fair bit, but your S14 probably has a better metal content than mine! Love the moonstone and Silvia Kouki bits, should look good with the equips too

I bet John is devistated that you destroyed his results on the RR

Rides
    Haha I did win a hat though

Rides
    Looking good dude!

I really want Kouki aero for my S14 at some point!

Rides
    12/2/13
    went out to stu roy b's house and bought a few parts for spares and some bits my car needed

uk s14 halfshafts
    uk s14 turbo 3.6 ratio diff
    uk s14 full prop shaft

always good to have a standard set of spares for when i put my uk turbo subframe on

aswell as the drivetrain parts i also picked up a few other parts my car was missing like the boot wooden floor pannel over the spare wheel and so on

couldn't say no to the exhaust i was offered though since my old one was falling to bits

new one on the right

as you can see my exhaust has had many challenges with the speed bumps outside my flat

made up a decat pipe to fit

and it's on

it's a smaller diameter pipe but unsilenced all the way through to the backbox, fits 10x better, best bit IT DOESN'T SCRAPE! car now sounds like a honda....hmmm need boosts!

then afterwards my old s14 came over so i could fit my old 3.9 welded diff to it i'd sold to jordan,

tested it out

19/2/13
    the mirrors have never been right on my car, the passenger mirror was kicked off before i bought the car and a uk mirror put on,

ideally i just wanted the folding mirrors to work, so i went online and bought a jdm folding mirror from jdm garage which turned out to be off a uk 200sx not a silvia

sent it back, then my drivers side folding mirror had buggered up and stopped half way, i tried stripping the motor and regreasing the teeth but it made no difference, It must have burned out

i'd priced a new motor up at nissan at £150 so it just wasn't worth the money to me! after some research online it seems they are prone to going wrong

anyway i was so sick of it that i decided to just fit uk s14 mirrors and swap the silver cases over, thanks to stevie for painting the mirror for the passenger side!

on the left is the simple electric mirror for a uk spec, on the right is the jdm electric folding mirror with the motor cover off

plugs are the same except the jdm model has 2 more wires for the folding motor, the uk mirror has an extra plug for the heated glass

on the plus side removal of the door cards revealed the car has upgraded speakers

anyway aswell as the mirror i'd bought a diff from jdm garage,

4.3 ratio r32 auto r200 diff

so after some conversations with clive (thanks!) i need s13 or r32 front diff bolts, 5 bolt r33 half shafts, s14 non abs prop shaft and an s14 backplate

doesnt have front bushes so it saves 40 quid buying driftworks solid bushes for the diff

21/2/13
    the car's always had an odd reaction to touching the pedal when doing 30 and you just want to adjust the pedal, it jerks a bit.

this led me to my last issue with my last 14 being a broken tps wire

nothing looked wrong, after a chat with mark i took his advice and checked the resitance on the signal wire to the tps

it was wrong! so set it to .45 where it should be and also checked the timing

all fixed!

so that leaves a few jobs for before crail in march,

-remove front wings and underseal the inside of them properly then flatten the lips so the wheels don't catch them
    -check loom isn't rubbing through
    -fit new discs and pads
    -fit harness
    -wrap up all my skid wheels with any tyres i can find in the skip at the local tyre shop

oh and i've bought this for the 1j

plan is after crail, the car's going into storage and will be stripped to a bare shell almost, subframe, fuel tank, engine and box all coming off, going to be alot of work!

more bits to buy first though, r154 gearbox, head gasket set from toyota, fabricage roll cage and so on....all money i don't have :S bloody bills haha!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by stu_ View Post
    The rear strut brace stiffened my car a fair bit, but your S14 probably has a better metal content than mine! Love the moonstone and Silvia Kouki bits, should look good with the equips too

I bet John is devistated that you destroyed his results on the RR
    thanks ! haha yeh i've set his caller display picture on my phone now to my car on the rollers, so every time he calls it reminds me i'm that 1bhp better :P

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Mac View Post
    thanks ! haha yeh i've set his caller display picture on my phone now to my car on the rollers, so every time he calls it reminds me i'm that 1bhp better :P
    I hate you x

Rides
    When are you turbo'ing it?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by weiner_patrol View Post
    When are you turbo'ing it?

haha

just finished paying for a new kitchen and boiler in my flat so i'm mega broke as i used all of my savings, was considering selling my crail space for next weekend aswell as i'm that hard up right now for playing with cars.

however sooner the better! i hate the car's lack of power when you drive it, i considered buying a cheap sr20det and fitting it for the time being but then the 6-700 quid it'd cost to get one and get it running is money that could be better spent on the jz parts.

the main answer is soon :S :S!!! :S :S haha

Rides
    Soon is not a time frame

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by weiner_patrol View Post
    Soon is not a time frame
    haha asap tbh! if i could even find an sr20det for 500 odd quid i'd consider buying it as it's a straight bolt in swap in an afternoon type conversion, not like the toyota engine, just to make the car a bit more fun for a while