Thread: Windscreen wipers dead - any ideas ?

Rides

Windscreen wipers dead - any ideas ?

Hi.

Run out of ideas on this one. My windscreen wipers packed up a couple of weeks ago. Both front and back all at once.

No response to anything on the left stalk, nor any response from the rear wiper and rear washer to either dashboard button.

So... fuse in the driver's footwell checked and OK. Left hand stalk changed and no joy, not a smidgeon. Wiper Amp assembly / relay thingy swapped for Skyshack's spare and... bum. Not a twitch. Running out of ideas I even swapped the ECU for my unmodified back up spare. Nope, not a sausage.

So, what the hell am I missing ? Is there another relay or control box or connector or something, anything, somewhere I have missed or need to check ? Any ideas anyone ?

Rides
    Wiring to the left hand stalk ?

If everything on that stalk has packed up, it must be the stalk (and a duff spare) or the wiring to the stalk. have you checked continuity between each of the wires to the stalk or tried to bypass the stalk using a multimeter on the connector ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Wiring to the left hand stalk ?

If everything on that stalk has packed up, it must be the stalk (and a duff spare) or the wiring to the stalk. have you checked continuity between each of the wires to the stalk or tried to bypass the stalk using a multimeter on the connector ?
    Not yet, as my multimeter has very irritatingly chosen this moment to die and I shall have to wait for my fleabay replacement to arrive.

However I am in some doubt about it being the stalk that is at fault, given both the failure of my spare - which may be duff, stranger things have happened - and the fact that it isn't just the stalk that isn't working the front wipers but also the dashboard buttons for the rear wiper and wash/wipe that aren't working either. Can't easily see how the failure of the stalk would affect them too - especially as they have their own separate relay box in the back, distinct from the replaced one in the front.

Got me stumped I have to say. Anyone with any other suggestions ? At least the present crisis means I don't have to worry about the MOT for a while now... Cloud / lining etc. Not that I'm driving anywhere at the moment anyway.

Rides
    Do the mirrors, cig lighter and green heater vent direction switch lights (recirc & foot/face/screen) work?

If not it points to accessory relay-1 on page EL-6.

If the heater blower doesn't work that points to both the accessory relay -1 and -2.

If the radio doesn't work then it's the ign switch accessory circuit.