Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic Car Rescue - Brewer has competition...

Rides

Classic Car Rescue - Brewer has competition...

Anyone been watching this?

http://www.channel5.com/shows/classic-car-rescue

Cockney 'geezer' Bernie Fineman and some other slightly less annoying bloke 'restore' classic cars for a pittance of a budget. An impossibly small budget that obviously isn't real (£200 for restoring an MGB, including two new front wings, rear quarters, a full bare metal respray, what appeared to be new tyres too, new carbs etc etc). With some visits to some mythical scrapyards ("got any bits for an e-type?" "Oh yeah, there's a box full of bits over there, you can have it all for 50p"). Add in lots of staged arguments (eg. rear axle falling off on the ramps, curiously with propshaft, brake lines and handbrakes disconnected, and spring eyes chopped off), swearing, cockney banter ("I used to be the mechanic for the Krays") and you have an hours worth of cringing that would make Brewer want to up his game...

Rides
    I thought this sounded good, I switched over to be presented by that tool Bernie and immediately switched it off. Can't stand him. Bad enough in that shitty chop shop programme in which him and that other moron build deathtraps. What is with motoring TV? If it's not Topgear, it's shite!

Rides
    flipped this on the other day as I was channel surfing, saw bernie, then turned it off.

I want to see more of the programs like 'A bike is born'. They are brilliant.

Rides
    There's been a couple of decent ones recently - both on BBC4 the other night - one was "Ford's Dagenham Dream" (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00j0gnm), the other was about british sports cars in the 50's/60's (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n8hl9)

Rides
    I prefer Wheeler Dealers...

The work they put in to the cars looks pretty decent, however I can't believe they left the sunroof on the E-Type and the panel gaps on the Mustang were shocking... Staged accidents and arguements really don't do it any favours either.

Rides
    BBC4 did a documentary about group B a while ago too, it was very good

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    BBC4 did a documentary about group B a while ago too, it was very good
    That was well worth the watch.

Rides
    Also F1 the Killer years, These were decent well made documentaries though not cheap daytime Freeview channel programs.

Rides
    Yeah i watch these! enjoyable,but when the two big girls start arguing it is so staged! plus they build the cars up bit by bit! anyone see the Porshe bumper in the spray booth on last weeks mgb build?

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    That show is ****ing terrible, the staged drama makes it more like Geordie Shore (which I also don't watch )

'Strippers' is better though, those geezas are quite entertaining http://natgeotv.com/uk/strippers-cars-for-cash

Rides
    I put this on last night actually saw Bernie 'I'm a prick' Fineman and was instantly disappointed. As Daz said, bring on more programs like a 'A Bike is Born' as they're insightful and actually worth watching. As car/motoring fanatics we don't need/want to watch the staged drama that fills a program, we'd rather see the full process with tips and tricks of the trade in there and the how to knowledge to do it ourselves.

Bad Channel 5, Bad.

Rides
    At the end of every episode and they're wondering what car to do next, why does the annoying american guy keep saying "I wanna do an Alfa Romero" ? He's supposedly in the trade but can't even name cars correctly.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by steve109 View Post
    I put this on last night actually saw Bernie 'I'm a prick' Fineman and was instantly disappointed. As Daz said, bring on more programs like a 'A Bike is Born' as they're insightful and actually worth watching. As car/motoring fanatics we don't need/want to watch the staged drama that fills a program, we'd rather see the full process with tips and tricks of the trade in there and the how to knowledge to do it ourselves.

Bad Channel 5, Bad.
    Exactly. I love the little tips on 'A bike is born', things like putting tennis balls on the end of the handle bars so you dont hurt your head when you hit them. Or putting your cup of tea on a block of wood rather than the concrete floor so it stays warmer for longer.

Staged arguments like on classic car rescue are just boring and not needed.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    I want to see more of the programs like 'A bike is born'. They are brilliant.
    Is this available online anywhere? Found it on DVD (I think), but not to stream...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Is this available online anywhere? Found it on DVD (I think), but not to stream...
    Erm, no idea. I'd like to get all the series though as they are just brilliant.

Rides
    Yeah it's a shame they don't make more stuff like A Car is Born, it's probably due to people not having the attention span for a single car over a whole series

They're on YouTube but you can get the DVDs on Amazon.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by stu_ View Post
    Yeah it's a shame they don't make more stuff like A Car is Born, it's probably due to people not having the attention span for a single car over a whole series

They're on YouTube but you can get the DVDs on Amazon.
    I'll be putting them on my xmas list I think .

Rides
    Oh and out of interest I thought I'd watch one during lunch. Currently watching the Mustang one and it's just a shame Bernie is in it otherwise it could be a good program.

Bernie seems to thing that a classic car should be mint and running and just needs polishing before selling it.

Rides
    The worst one now is 'car strippers for cash' or something along those lines. OMG it's end to end cringe. Total ****ing tools

Rides
    lol at the blatant throwing of the windscreen lol.