Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit Benefits

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    But EV's seem immune! Have risen and because of the artificial shrinkage of the ICE market this year they might sell more EVs than diesel cars in 2021!
    Nothing to do with the 0% BIK on electric company vehicles then?
    If I was actually driving anywhere Id be very tempted by a 100K car that I dont have to pay tax on as opposed to 37%, I have to say ........
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    0% BIK! You're joking!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 800bhp View Post
    I'm confused, surely they had to add ROI VAT to your invoice before Brexit (+23%)? Now they can sell you them at NET of ROI VAT (-23%) and you have to pay UK VAT @ 20% on the invoice, making them cheaper than before?
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    That's exactly how it should happen. Have a look here:
    https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/f...-b-muster.html

Stick that in your basket and go to checkout - first thing it asks you is the country you want it shipping to. Change that to UK and it drops to the pre-tax price shown on the front screen. It would then be taxed when it hits the UK.
    So maybe this is a flaw in Distro's understanding, or maybe of course it's just me
    So thats whats going on here? Paying tax in the Eu, but then also paying tax and customs duty when it arrives?
    Shouldn't we not have customs duty with the trade deal?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55734277

Rides
    No mate, we left the customs union, so we are wide open to all of it.

And yeah, that's whats happened. She's bought retail, which includes EU VAT, so now to get it into the country she pays UK VAT, and then import fees because of the price of the goods.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    0% BIK! You're joking!
    Nope.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/incentives
    https://www.nextgreencar.com/tax-cal...orsche/taycan/

Gonna find it very difficult not to buy one when I need to get a new daily, £600 a month, no BIK and no fuel costs is difficult to look past.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    No mate, we left the customs union, so we are wide open to all of it.

And yeah, that's whats happened. She's bought retail, which includes EU VAT, so now to get it into the country she pays UK VAT, and then import fees because of the price of the goods.
    I don't remember any of that being shouted about by the Brexit brigade prior to us leaving.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Nope.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/incentives
    https://www.nextgreencar.com/tax-cal...orsche/taycan/

Gonna find it very difficult not to buy one when I need to get a new daily, £600 a month, no BIK and no fuel costs is difficult to look past.
    This.

Nearly ended up with an Outlander PHEV when the Mrs worked for Microsoft.

Rides
    I’m not absolutely certain what’s happened but the website prices are VAT inclusive.

Which I guess means they themselves paid VAT on them when they imported them to get them into stock.

But because we’ve left, it’s not their decision to add U.K. VAT but that of the U.K. tax office.

Unless they have a way to claim their RoI VAT back?
    Unfortunately, you are correct. Due to the ****ing ridiculous VAT changes our government has brought in, JDM Distro now have the collect the VAT on the item, then send it to our tax office, and pay for the privilege

Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    That's exactly how it should happen. Have a look here:
    https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/f...-b-muster.html

Stick that in your basket and go to checkout - first thing it asks you is the country you want it shipping to. Change that to UK and it drops to the pre-tax price shown on the front screen. It would then be taxed when it hits the UK.
    Doesn't work like that anymore, whereas last year, you'd pay **** all from Ireland, or you'd pay import duty+Vat on things from outside the EU, our bright sparks in government decided to change this, so the seller now collects the vat, which is why foreign companies are already stopping sales to uk residents, as it costs them money. This change was pushed through hidden behind the Brexit bullshit going on, so the vasy majority of people seem to know nothing about it, worryingly but not surprisingly.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...1-january-2021

Also, Steinhart ship their German made watches direct from Germany. JDM Distro have imported to Ireland from Japan (paying relevant fees) and now are importing to the UK from Ireland, meaning more fees.

Rides
    Welcome to the sunny uplands Slamz!

I worry companies like Full Race, Mazworx, System Motorsports, Evasive, FRSport and the like will turn their backs on the UK market.

Rides

Rides
    IMO it's neither. The battery site was already, as best I know, in pre-planning. And the main site was economically viable until the Brexit talk started. Only with the threat of no deal did the site go under threat.

All that the trade deal has allowed is the continuation of the status quo. Which I don't think fairly counts as a benefit.

To add, it's good news in general though. A lot of jobs maintained is never bad news.

Rides
    Looks to be a positive move for uk production, hopefully the new systems will make it cheaper for Nissan to deal with other RHD countries and produce more of thier cars here to export.

Would the situation with wheels not also be interpreted as a positive for britain? I know its not ideal for the company which is currently based in Ireland, but will it not encourage them to open a UK based site and start importing directly here, generating a few jobs and another unit getting rented in our Isles, so in a roundabout way is positive for the country?

Or if they don't have the business to justify a new site then a UK based company which does similar should gain some business as they will now be more competitive in price?

We are definitely in for a rough start as people in power will be making it as awkward as possible to deal with the guy who just left the gang, but as it calms and we are seen to get deals in other parts of the world I'm positive that we will develop good deals and ways of working going forward

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Would the situation with wheels not also be interpreted as a positive for britain? I know its not ideal for the company which is currently based in Ireland, but will it not encourage them to open a UK based site and start importing directly here, generating a few jobs and another unit getting rented in our Isles, so in a roundabout way is positive for the country?
    That's all about perspective. You see it as good for a few extra jobs and there's no arguing with that, jobs are good. I see it as a whole other office, warehouse, staffing costs etc for one market. Which you can pretty much guarantee they'll try to recoup in pricing. I can't speak for Distro or their plans, I'm being generic here to EU businesses. We've already seen many choose not to sell to us. Either way, in my perspective, it's not good. It's inefficient and expensive. It's just more red tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlowe
    Or if they don't have the business to justify a new site then a UK based company which does similar should gain some business as they will now be more competitive in price?
    Can't deny a UK importer would benefit again, for the UK market only. But it's very "little England".

Rides
    It really isn't good for the consumer at the moment, I just hope the long game pans out in our favour.....

If we get back to pre pandemic situation and France kicks off again and Italy have another flair up I suspect the EU may be in some trouble, A few of our guys at work have holiday homes in non touristy parts of spain/italy and Portugal (5 different people in 5 different regions) and they say the attitudes of the locals there are not much different to England and they believe other country will follow us out over the next few years.

If this does come true then surely we will be at an advantage getting out first and setting up relationships outside of the EU market.

Rides
    I honestly have no idea where you draw that logic from.

Unless our government radically overhaul our duties and VAT scheme, which they won’t, then there is no improvement to these conditions for individual consumers. And unless they find a way to streamline the customs checks and inspections, then there’s no improvement coming to the commercial goods routes.

Rides
    But if it happens across Europe as other countries leave then we will at least have the advantage of experience as we left first....

Probably a better place to be than if say Germany had left first, then France etc and we were still trying to keep the rest of the "gang" together.

Rides
    Do you really think the rest of the EU, polled during the Brexit negotiations as having more pro-remain elements than leave, is looking at the U.K. now going “can’t wait to get a bit of that”?

If you do, then we can’t talk

Even if they left, what’s the perk of getting out first? You worried about first come first serve? All we have managed to do since leaving is negotiate deals with countries we already traded with that are worse than when we were with the EU

Rides
    I thought all the poles said the UK would remain too before the vote?

We have been having these type of conversations in our office for a while and from what people who have the houses there say its very much like this country, the cities and office based workers are very much remain, but the working classes and more remote regions are wanting out.

I don't believe getting out first has any benefits at the moment, but being ahead of the pack and having our shit in order if the others start removing themselves should help negotiations with others as they leave...

Say for example Spain decide they want out, would it not be a benefit that we have already gone through it (and exposed the pitfalls etc) we would expect them to deal with us easier and faster than the EU they are leaving or other countries that don't have economic ties already like we do

Rides
    Spain gains massively from being in the EU and is generally pro-EU purely out of self-interest.

Italy, surprisingly is a net contributor and the EU has less support from within Italy. However, it is going to struggle to manage its huge debts without the backing of the EU to provide confidence.

The other thing is that those countries that already use the Euro are going to struggle to regain control of their own economy so I doubt any of them will leave.

Most likely is that the EU won't be able to find new countries to join that will allow them to "survive through growth" which is the key tenet on which the EU is based.

If you want to see the benefits of not being in the EU, ask again in 10 or 20 years time when the EU implodes.

If, and its a big if, the UK can rebuilt its economy/economies on more regional services and with more of a manufacturing bias then it will be better placed to survive a serious downturn in the economies of mainland Europe.

Was it ever going to be better overnight ? Not really.

Its a bit like saying

Hey, you know that really, really shit nightclub we used to go to that massively overcharged us for every drink, played shit music and was run by the mafia ? You've cancelled the membership, they've stung us for a big fat leaving fee and now we have nowhere to drink

Well, boo hoo. Get yourself down to the offy and put your record player on.

Rides
    Best analogy yet.