Thread: Headunit and front speaker upgrade S14a

Rides

Headunit and front speaker upgrade S14a

Hi, I am looking to upgrade the headunit and front speakers in my S14a. I dont really want to run a seperate amp or anything, I just want a simple and easy solution for a bit more clarity at the front and to play MP3 discs.

I was thinking of getting this head unit

Blaupunkt

and these speakers up front

Alpines

Any ideas guys, as I can be a bit clueless about this stuff!

Rides
    check out the new Alpine head units
    plenty big power (no need for amp) lots of mp3 models now the speakers are good too.

Rides
    Thanks for the suggestion, i'll take a look at the Alpines then!

Cambridge (beats the sh*t out of hatfield)
    Rides
    the alpine wont put out much more than any other head unit..

its slightly better, but not a lot.. still only about 17wrms.. if you can get a seperate 2channel amp you're looking at around 50wrms.. if you can, try to get components, and amplify them properly.. they usually sound a lot better, but if budget is really tight, what you have will do ..

i've not heard the alpine coaxes, and you might find as the tweeter is fixed to the mid it'll sound like everything sounds like its coming from your feet..

actually.. to be honest, try just the hu on the standard speaker.. the standard speakers can actually sound quite good, when properly amped.. you may be pleasently suprised personally, i'd steer clear of coaxials as the standard speaker locations are pretty poorly aimed..

my vote would be a new hu, then components when you can afford them..

james
    Last edited by formula; 21-05-2004 at 10:58.

Rides
    I have the component versions of those speakers - they sound very very nice, even off a (pretty decent) headunit... They go pretty deep too, no comparison to the standard speakers!

I couldn't get the tweeters to fit, so I used the Alpine crossovers, and the stock clarion tweeters (removed the capacitor off the back of them and re-wired). I would guess you could probably just replace the mid speaker and leave the rest as is and it would sound fine though...

Rides
    Thanks guys, most helpful. I think I will save a bit more cash then and go for a decent amp and components when I can afford to. I'm pretty useless at wiring and deffo dont want to mess with my interior! I may have to get somebody to fit it for me I think, what do most places charge for fitting an amp and components?

Rides
    Quick update, I put the alpines in but ran them from an old Kenwood 526 amp I had lying around and I went for a Pioneer DEH-P3600MP head unit to run the rear speakers and the standard front tweeters. I was a bit aprenhensive about pulling my interior to bits, but once I got stuck in, it seemed easier than I thought it would be! I even made a funky little MDF shelf to hold the amp above the fuel tank!

I want to replace the front tweeters with some Kicker impulse ones I have from the components out of my old 205, how easy is it to get the plastic covers off the pillars and swap the tweets over?

I'm pleased with how it sounds but may want to add another amp and a sub at a later date.

Rides
    The covers just pull off, start above the drivers head.

C.

Rides
    Thats good news! Thanks.