Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AVC-R Fitting with photos :O) (idiot's guide)

UK . . . . . . . . . . . Power: .. ..... . 361bhp
    Rides

AVC-R Fitting with photos :O) (idiot's guide)

OK well as a few people are receiving their AVC-Rs now I thought I'd post up some pics of my install. Just a word of warning tho..if you're no good at delicate cutting with a craft knife then dont bother cos the wire splicing requires delicate stripping of wires in situ... you could always install the stuff and get someone else to do the wiring connections. Easy if you're careful tho This is the way I did it but obviously it can be done a few different ways. I like this way tho cos the harness comes out right next to the ECU and when fitted the unit can easily be stored in the glove box

the photos are fairly self explanitory but just ask if you're un sure of something .. Make sure you disconnect the negative battery terminal first !!!

I put the boost pressure sensor on the drivers side turret..

I put the solenoid on the passenger side turret and away from high heat.. You could mount it anywhere really but i thought this was a good place.. I might fit it inside my induction box when I get it. That will help with eliminating the clicking sound of the solenoid. Dont forget to mount the solenoid on the rubber bit that comes with it..

The easy direction of the harness...

Here you see the harness goes thru a triangular shaped hole just behind the nearside turret. This leads them into the inner wing.. I've outlined the triangular shaped hole in this pic to maker it easy to see it...

Inside the arch (nearside) under the liner you'll see a grommet to put the harness' thru.. I then cut the insultion (furry rubber matting stuff) the other side of bulkhead with a craft knife and poked my finger thru. THIS IS WHY YOU MUST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY NEGATIVE TERMINAL FIRST! Then get a metal coat hanger (straight) bend the end over so it has no sharp end (wish I thought of that earlier!) and poke thru the hole. You can then find your way to the inside of the car right next to the ECU Tape the end of the harness's to the other end of the hanger but dont hook the cables just tape it to the side (so you dont stretch or brake the connections) pull them thru and start wiring..

For the wiring... gently "shave" the ecu wires to strip them. Strip the Apexi harness wires, wrap them around ECU wires and crimp with little Apexi "crimps" supplied. Use a pair of pliers to get the crimp to close right up firm.... then wrap the crimp areas with elctrical insulation tape to stop them touching what they shouldn't

Last edited by cHiL; 04-04-2005 at 16:54.

Rides
    Because the harness comes out near the ECU then you're also near the glove box so you'll have somewhere to store the display when you're away from the car

Here's where I keep mine when I'm driving... on the dash in front of the rev counter.. mounted on some double sticky velcro

Well, I hope this helps a few people. Any probs just ask or pm me

Last edited by cHiL; 02-05-2004 at 21:18.

Rides
    Cheers at last i get to see the photo's

Rides
    yey!!! hehe you need a pc engineer too eh Rusty? Come to the meet today if you get chance.. We're just down the road for you..

Rides
    Good work m8

Rides
    Nice work, Phil.

Rides
    Excellent help mate, i'm doing it at the mo...which line is the FPR to connect to the pressure sensor?
    Last edited by Lasitha; 02-05-2004 at 14:43.

Rides
    Its the tiny fiddly bastid at the front of the plenim, between the engine and the plenim

Nice one, im glad there is another gromit, mine is already full of 5 wires

Rides
    Would the AVC R fit into the ash tray bit?

Rides
    Don't mean to be completely stupid, but don't know which one you mean Vez. I see three potential hoses to connect to the pressure sensor. Which of the three is it? once i have this pipe, do i tee into one of these pipes or completely detach and attach the pipe to the pressure sensor.
    Thanks in advance

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasitha
    Don't mean to be completely stupid, but don't know which one you mean Vez. I see three potential hoses to connect to the pressure sensor. Which of the three is it? once i have this pipe, do i tee into one of these pipes or completely detach and attach the pipe to the pressure sensor.
    Thanks in advance

It's the one in figure 4 here - http://www.jull.co.uk/mods/boost_gauge.html. You need to use one of the T peices supplied with the AVCR.

Rides
    how easy is the splicing ?

Rides
    with a brand new (& I mean brand new!!) stanley blade or craft knife & a steady hand it's relatively easy. Dont try it unless your blade is new-sharp cos if you get stuck you could add more pressure and end up cutting a wire. You cannot cut any of these wires and expect it to still work the same. THEY MUST REMAIN INTACT and just cut the sleave only! This is quite easy honestly you just need to be steady and careful.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.Wild
    Would the AVC R fit into the ash tray bit?
    No mate it's too long for that. I have mine held on the dash with a bit of double sticky velcro

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasitha
    Thanks in advance
    Look on the diagram on wallers post and it's the fuel pressure regulator that you T into. If your boost gauge is T'd into it then I would take it out and T into the top of your bov or anywhere else and save the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) one for the Apexi boost sensor. You need to keep as short a distance as possible for the boost hoses to the solenoid and the pressure sensor.
    Last edited by cHiL; 02-05-2004 at 21:19.

Rides
    cHiL, what did you bolt the pressure sensor to

Rides
    Rusty, there are some screw holes on the drivers suspension turret. They are covered by rubber covers. It will work there

It's in the 1st picture..
    Last edited by Wallers; 04-05-2004 at 13:36.

Rides
    I drilled four holes into my passenger side suspension turret - facing the air filter.

Rides
    What is the little solenoid thing that the Actuator plugs into

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyveedub
    What is the little solenoid thing that the Actuator plugs into
    Exactly what it says on the tin, the solenoid to regulate the boost I expect

Dave