Thread: Subs

Rides

Post Subs

Guys,
    I have an S14a and in the boot just behind the rear seats there is a little shelf, completely useless, unless any of you know of a way to fit some form of Sub/amp combo in there. Any recomendations on make model anything like that? The boot is small enough as it is without getting a 12 Inch Sub + enclosure + amp in there.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

------------------
    Grant Smith
    Blue T 'reg' Manual

Rides

Hi Grant,
    I thought long and hard (ooer!) about doing the same thing but got a bit worried about correct box volume and cooling for the amp.
    In the end I just thought sod it and mounted the amp on the little shelf (screwed to a wooden board under the carpet) and put a 10" amp in the boot.

If you experiment with different box sizes, it's not too hard to find one that will fit whilst still leaving you a bit of boot space, I can still get a couple of soft sports bags in and there's always the back seats, just make sure you can close the boot with the amp in place!!

Dave

------------------

Black Almera GTi/Blue S14, standard apart from loud stereo and blue smelly tree.

Rides

Been thinking about this for a while now and I've got a few ideas as to how to do it.

You could make an enclosure under the rear shelf to house either 1 or 2 subs and then put the amp elsewhere in the boot.

Or, my fav idea is to use 2 free air 10" subs mounted in the rear shelf. Put the amp just inside the boot on the left or right (or both). You could even then have a false floor made and have some cooling fans under the floor for the amps.

I'm trying to design a system that you can remove easily (apart from the subs in the shelf of course).

Rides

don't worry about boot space !

------------------
    S13 - Lots of Mods

Rides

How about remove the spare wheel and go with a can of tyre sealant. Should be able to fit a 21" Sub in the space left over.....

------------------
    200SX 93L. SE Exhaust, Filter, Port Polish, 17" Momo Arrow, Snooper Radar Detector.
    Money has been spent on Hi Fi at present.
    T28 Hybrid Ordered

Rides

Cool

I have a '94 S14 (yeah i know - old for an S14) and have done some extensive ICE mods.
    Here's the list of kit:
    Rockford Fosgate Power 800a4
    Focal Utopia 165W Front Components
    Focal Utopia 27WX sub (11" - yes 11")
    Nakamichi CD45z

First i had the amp mounted in the floor of the boot on the right and the sub on the left.
    had to have a custom box made to take the sub so that the boot arm didnt hit it
    and i can keep my spare wheel (i do a lot of miles).
    didnt like the cabling job done by Stirling Ice in portsmouth,
    so i ripped it out and made my own shelf in the space above the fuel tank (behind the back seat).
    On this I have the amp, the crossovers for the components and the fuse block holders
    - looks quite cool really and only took me an afternoon.
    am in the process of making a false floor in the boot to hide the wheel - when i can get round to it!
    In retrospect there are other things I would have done instead of this and would have been cheaper and sounded better
    - here's a radical idea -
    use the space behind the back seat to mount 5 5" Focal subs, i've heard these things and they are the best going
    - they even win sound-offs in the states competing with the 10-12"er's... www.focal.tm.fr

later,
    JP

[This message has been edited by JP (edited 23-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by JP (edited 23-10-2001).]

Rides

If those 5"'ers you're talking about are as good as you say that might just solve my problem. I wonder if there is somewhere I could hear them before buying them.

I'm almost going off the idea of using that little shelf but whatever system I put in is going to have to come out easily.

This is going to take some thought. I wouldn't do it myself cos I'm a cack handed sod.

Thanks for the advice guys.

------------------
    Grant Smith
    Blue T 'reg' Manual