Thread: ***S14a door builds***

Rides

***S14a door builds***

As the last post got no attention

Whos put 6.5 components in an S14a. The original seem to be 5.5ish with the resin speaker pods?

Do you buy aftermarket spacers etc?

I wanted to get some Alpine SPR176A's but apparently need 3" of depth which is too much by the looks of things.

Any help would be good guys

Cambridge (beats the sh*t out of hatfield)
    Rides
    Standard mounts are 6.5 inch.. the mounting depth isnt a problem if you're will to cut away the rear bit of plastic mount..

that plastic is a little naff though, and they're pointed right across into the transmission tunnel which is a little bit of a disaster.. i'm thinking of reinforcing that plastic mount with mdf, deadening the whole area and using 3ways, placing a small kick build with 4inch mid in, can be aimed far better than the 6.5 inch and would keep the mids further away from the listener.. (far better imaging)..

or maybe try making a kickbuild for the 6.5inch midbass and tweeter, but i think i'm gonna be far to tight on space..

james
    Last edited by formula; 02-03-2004 at 14:22.

Rides
    hang on, if they're solid AND angled then i may be interested.. lmk exactly what you thinking of doing..

james

Rides
    I'm just trying to get my head around it at the moment. If anyone has good ideas of installs let me know. Piccys are good to.

I'm not interested in putting my sub in the rear quater though

The list is: -

Alpine CTA1505R with 12 disk changer
    Alpine SPR176A Components with Alpine MRV-T320
    JL 12W3 with PG Octane R 4.0:2

I will be gong for a stelfish look from inside despite gauges and controllers everywhere

From the boot i want to do a showish display using the amps but keep the sub in its box for optimum performance

I know what your saying about the doors but it would be a big job to change it for the better.

I wasn't sure wether to put the tweeters in the original locations or in the door like others i've seen...

Like i say, any advice/suggestions will be taken in

Time to get the paper and crayons out

Rides
    ok.. well i've had the car for a year and a half now.. and have tried numerous installs..

I'm just off for a cup of tea, but i'll post some of my ideas and results up when i get back..

james

Rides

Rides
    Have you done a search of previous pics being posted up here, that'll give you some ideas. Some have very nice boot installs indeed.

Personally, I've gone with mounting the tweeter down near the mid for better imaging. Its a bit "too in your face" style on the A-pillars, especially with uprated tweets. I have time alignment which allows me to move the image around the cabin (so to say)and optimise it for driver position.

Rides
    I know didin i'm just far too busy to search at the moment. I'll have a look at the weekend

How did you go, what did you use to cut the door cards to fit the tweeters, scary stuff

Rides
    OK, here are a couple of pics of mine.
    I still haven't changed the grey carpet in the boot yet two and a half years down the line

I just used a sharp stanley knife to cut the door cards very carefully.
    Last edited by Didin; 02-03-2004 at 15:26.

Rides
    Heres the other pic:

Rides
    Thats the sort of thing i was thinking of. Nicely done didin

What about the space saver???

How did you attach the tweeter to the door card. Looks great, was the sound that much better...

Rides
    The Space saver is still there and usable.
    The top perspex amp cover pops off and the Amp rack swivels up.
    The tweeter comes with some clips on the back which hold it on to any surface when flush mounted like that.
    And yes, definately sounds much better coming from down there than on the a pillar.