Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts please

Rides

Arrow Your thoughts please

TEEN MAY FACE JAIL AFTER 116MPH BUST

A teenage who admitted dangerous driving after he was caught doing 116mph in a 40mph zone has been warned he may face jail.

Magistrates in Halesowen, West Midlands, heard that James Francis Green, 18, was caught driving at the "phenomenal" speed in his father's Volkswagen Golf VR6 in Dudley last July.

Green, of Hockley Lane, Netherton, Dudley, was granted unconditional bail to re-appear in court on February 26.

Adjourning the case for pre-sentence reports, chairman of the bench Ann Robinson warned Green: "The offence is so serious that custody must remain an option."

Rides
    Serves him right. Nearly 3 times the speed limit is a little excessive

Rides
    TW*T

Rides
    I cannot beleive I am going to say this but.

I would like to see the road it was done on. ... 116 in a 40 is 3 times over the limit .. but if the 40 was a previous 70mph DC ..... empty long straight, good visibility.

Then a jail sentance is a little harsh ... maybe a ban for taking the piss .. but jail ?

Rides
    Sometimes it can be plausible to go over the limit, but that much?!

To be fair, we dont' know if it was clear or not, but I certainly would go that far over no matter what... (not that my rust bucket would )

Rides
    Ban, fine, nick his licence & Re-test.

Very Excessive but may be a recently restricted road like johnny said. Still too fast really 3X the speed limit

Jail is a bit over the top imo

Rides
    From BBC website-:

Jail threat to 116mph driver

Green was said to be genuinely remorseful and embarrassed
    A teenage motorist has been warned by magistrates he could go to prison after breaking the speed limit by 76mph.
    James Green, 18, was caught driving at 116mph on a 40mph road in the Black Country last July.

Green from Netherton in Dudley admitted dangerous driving when he appeared at Halesowen magistrates court on Friday.

His solicitor told the court he was genuinely remorseful, greatly ashamed and embarrassed.

Green was one of 58 motorists caught speeding in Thorns Road, Quarry Bank, near Dudley during the week of the speed trap.

Six were recorded travelling at over 80mph and one was doing 96mph. Officers described Green's speed as "phenomenal".

The court heard he was driving his father's car, a 3.5 litre VW Golf VR6 at the time.

He was said to be a young, inexperienced driver with a clean driving licence, of good character and with no previous convictions.

He was due to have an operation in hospital the next day and was said to be taking his last opportunity to drive for two months.

Green was remanded on unconditional bail and banned from driving, pending an appearance in court for sentencing on 26 February.

Rides
    at least he had a licence
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    i didnt think VR6 lumps where 3.5L
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    how many of you have gone 116 mph on a motorway ? what about a Dual carriage way that is marked national speed limit ?

Is this a jail sentance crime ?

Now lets take that road that you have been speeding on and make it a 40 limit.

The road is the same road .. only the law has changed .. an arbitury number

Now all of a sudden Jail is an option ??? .... its the same moral crime, just the "Lawful" bit has changed.

---------------------------

Now if he was doing that sort of speed on a Legitimate 40 zone ... then yes nail his butt ! ..... does anyone know what road it was ?

Rides
    if 6 others were doing over 80, and another 96, then it sounds like it used to be a faster road...
    not condoning his actions since he's taking the pee.

and vr6 were 2.8...

Rides
    This road?

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...0&title=&cat=h

Looks looks like a urban dual carageway.

I guess the option of prisson should stay. probably would a surspended sentance any way so if he kept his noes clean it wouldnt end up inside.

Dosnt look the type of space id speed. Any one know the road?

Rides
    Originally posted by Nismo Mark
    i didnt think VR6 lumps where 3.5L
    2.8 iirc

Rides
    Jail shouldnt be a option IMO. Wonder what time it was. could have been 5am for all we know from the story...

Rides
    Originally posted by Johnny
    I cannot beleive I am going to say this but.

I would like to see the road it was done on. ... 116 in a 40 is 3 times over the limit .. but if the 40 was a previous 70mph DC ..... empty long straight, good visibility.

Then a jail sentance is a little harsh ... maybe a ban for taking the piss .. but jail ?
    well said- totally agree
    there's a section of the A3 in surrey- used to be 70- now a 40- there's 2 wide lanes on the dual carriage way- late at night, u would not hesitate and do that sort of a speed- loads of vision- and straight road- no side roads for people to pull out- no park cars- no houses- nothing- i think time of day is important- so really u have to see the road

Rides
    Do the crime - pay the fine.

Rides
    Definately sounds like it used to be faster or was a temp limit, especially if others were doing similar speeds?

Dave

Rides
    Jail definately isnt an option.

What has he done that is so bad .... 116mph on a road that is disputably a 70mph limit ?

Going on that the law should bang ALL of us up.

The only reason they are threatening jail, is becuase he was taking the piss ... but is that really a good enough reason for a jail term.

He deserves a ban for taking the piss, comunity service maybe ... But jail is a harsh harsh sentance ... he has not killed anyone, he has not injured anyone .....

The only argument I can accept for jail is that fact that he could close in on a car doing 30 - 40 mph ...... which would be somewhat dangerous .... perhaps there was other traffic around at the time. BUT .. he didnt actually cause anyone any harm.

So dont think jail justifies it .... BAN HIM !

Rides
    Originally posted by Yak
    This road?

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...0&title=&cat=h

Looks looks like a urban dual carageway.

I guess the option of prisson should stay. probably would a surspended sentance any way so if he kept his noes clean it wouldnt end up inside.

Dosnt look the type of space id speed. Any one know the road?

to be honest- i think the road is straight- if you're doing 116 in a rust bucket then- thats bad- but the vr6 is fairly capable in its stopping power- definitely 6-12 month ban- but jail- thats a bit harsh- plus we need more fact- time of day, for one

Rides
    I'd say a short custodial sentence as a short sharp shock, but saying that he would punished more severely if he had a large ban imposed, a retake license requirement and probation requirement

He'll go down, no shadow of a doubt