Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: ERG Removal on S14

Rides
    leave the valves in, as once the main pipe is disconnected they are disabled, and yes you can also block up the manifold to disable it too

Rides
    Ah col so once that hose is plugged, the valve ain't doin owt then, cheers.

The reason I was gonna plug the manifold was cos I'm having another one fitted soon and thought I might as well at the same time.

But if just doin the mod mentioned on Nicely's site totally disables it, is it worth bothering with? As it's easier just to re-attach the manifold hose if the effects stay the same, see what I mean?

Rides
    i plan to reattach my hose come MOT time to possibly help keep the emissions down on the test

Rides
    It has been proven that it makes no difference to MoT emmisions testing. The S14a would struggle if it did...

Rides
    i've just done this mod, and my car seems alot smoother. great site/advice Nicely, thanks

Rides
    Ok, sorry to drag this out even more, I've now seen my car's innards and have one final question.....

I'm gonna be totally removing the EGR system now, so if I miss anything here please tell me.

Manifold is now plugged and welded secure, hose from manifold to EGR removed, EGR and EGRC-Bp thingy removed from the car.

Now, does the hose that Nicely instructs to be plugged run right round the front of the engine bay and into the boost solenoid (forgot to check that bit) - that REALLY long hose ?
    If so, I'm gonna take that off too and just loop a hose to both ends of the solenoid, then plug the hole just after the AFM.

If this makes any sense, please tell me I'm right?

Thanks all!

Rides
    bin the carbon canister and plug the 2 outlets on the egr/carbon canister solenoid
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Cheers Mark, I presume if I follow all hoses from the EGR I'll find the carbon cannister?

Surely if I'm ripping the lot out, that will come with it?

Thanks again.... by the way, where did you get your grille from (front) and what make is it, I LIKE!

Rides
    The carbon canister is the black cylinder thats bolted to the front panel near the paaenger headlight. Its about 4 inches in diameter and 6 inches long with 2 vac lines going to it.

As for the grill i made it myself by modding the standard one
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides

Noticeable difference

Finally got round to doing this the other day. Makes a real difference. Seems to pull alot more cleanly off boost. Can't believe I didn't do it earlier!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec
    Finally got round to doing this the other day. Makes a real difference. Seems to pull alot more cleanly off boost. Can't believe I didn't do it earlier!
    Me too, followed mr Nicely's guide ( ) and it's the cheapest/simplest/most effective bit of tuning I've ever done to a car!

Next job improve the range on the alarm

Rides
    After reading the most confusing thread ever!

my manifold is about to come out, if I hack through the egr pipe at the manifold and then plug the hole in the manifold, is that job done egr out of the system, or do I still have to plug anything else?

Rides

ERG removal at exhaust manifold

I've recently had to change the turbo/manifold gasket on my S14; following the excellent 'sticky' guide on this forum.

My only major problem was removal of the EGR connector at the exhaust manifold. The only way I could remove the manifold & turbo was to hack through the pipe.

This left me with the problem of how do I block up the ehxaust manifold when I refit? (I'd decided to follow the advice of not reconnecting the pipe)

Now, I don't own a welder, and I don't know any welders...so I needed another solution. After hours on t'interweb I was unable to find a supplier of a plug to fit my new hole (well not closer than India anyway).

I do know an engineer, who knocked up a few designs I provided for a solid brass plug. I need my car to be reliable, and didn't want to risk starting a fire under the bonnet from hot exhaust gases against the bulkhead, and definitely didn't want any bits of weld dropping into the manifold and going through the turbo ! This may not be an issue...but I'm not a welder.

Matey ended up making two designs, either of which has its advantages and disadvantages: (see below - original nut in the middle)

Small allen-key plug is easy to install, but relies only on threads for gas-tighness. hex-head plug is more manly, but you do need a 30mm short spanner ! (if fitting it under the bonnet).

I may not have a welder, but I did have an old spanner and an angle-grinder .

This is how it looks in the car:

Posted this in case it's of use to somebody like me. I had a few made up, so have a small stock if useful for anybody else. PM or email me with an offer worth bothering to post one !
    Last edited by Vicar; 19-10-2007 at 13:18.

Rides

ERG removal at exhaust manifold

It seems that there is some interest in these plugs, so if anybody wants one...click this link:

EGR plugs

I'm glad to be of some use rather than just leeching advice

Rides
    Or just go to a local industrial pipeline/hose and hydraulic shop and buy one for 20p

Rides
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but just removed the egr from my s14a auto. And. . . Behind the valve was a metal plate effectively rendering it useless from factory?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by evilz View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but just removed the egr from my s14a auto. And. . . Behind the valve was a metal plate effectively rendering it useless from factory?
    Could it be possible that someone has already fiddled with it in the past? When i removed mine it was fully working from factory.

Rides
    I will post some pictures later but the car and engine were completely standard when I bought it. The plate looks to be the same shape as the gasket that is behind it and the same as the egr valve.

Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by evilz View Post

That looks incredibly home made. Maybe a garage blocked it off in the past as a 'fix' for a broken EGR? I know mine definitely didn't have that.