Thread: Clutch peddle dropped to the floor..?

Rides

Question Clutch peddle dropped to the floor..?

My clutch is on the way out. I have all the parts ready to replace it, but just need to get it done. But for the moment I have still driving her. The clutch only slips when you give it some welly, otherwise it is perfectly driveable.

But yesterday I got into the car, pressed the clutch peddle and it dropped straight to the floor and didn't spring back up. I still have about 2 inches of clutch peddle travel which was enough to select a gear.
    It stayed like that all day, sitting about 2 inches off the floor.
    But then this morning, during a gear change it popped back up, and now sits at it's correct position, and feel okay.

Could this be due to the knackered clutch? Or more likely a slave or master cylinder on the way out?

Rides
    Sounds more like a cylinder, slave is usually not to expensive to replace, you might find a rebuild kit for the master.

https://www.biggred.co.uk/catalogue/...-cylinder-kits

Rides
    Thanks!

Bigg Red don't list rebuild kits. But from searching I see that there are various other places that list rebuild kits and full new master cylinders. Are there any makes to avoid?

Blueprint/ Japko/ Ashika/ Nipparts/ Japanparts/ ?

JDM Garage have a new OEM clutch master cylinder.
    Last edited by markcro; 14-09-2023 at 11:11.

Rides
    any of the motorfactor ones will be fine. tbh it it was leaking your fluid level in the resivoir would be low and you would have a damp patch on the side of the gearbox/ where you park it. it could also be a broken pivot ball

Rides
    The master cylinder is bone dry inside the cabin and in the engine bay. And the fluid level is at Max where is has always been. So this is a weird one. Could it have been the pressure plate not returning to it's normal position, or is that even a thing?
    I'll hold off on buying any cylinders until I get the new clutch in and see how it goes.

Okay good to know that the aftermarket cylinders should be good enough. Does anyone every upgrade the master/ slave to make the peddle lighter?

Rides
    ive a nismo one which is a different bore size. i also have a 'top secret' clutch fork which is longer, a light clutch is a nice clutch.