Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New clutch time........

Rides

Question New clutch time........

I had a bit of clutch slip over the weekend, so it's time to start looking at a replacement. I've ran a Exedy Single Sports Series organic clutch for over 10 years. So it's held up, so will look at getting the same again.

Looking at the photos of the boxes from back in the day, the clutch kit came in a box with P/N: NK01T722 which Google tells me is an Exedy Stage 2 kit.
    But then individual boxes have P/Ns:
    NC09T - clutch cover
    ND05H - clutch disk
    Which from Googling says should be a Stage 1 kit, which is a bit confusing!

Car makes 311bhp/ 308 ft-bs. So now I am unsure if I should go stage 1 or 2.

Any other recommendations of clutches (with light pedal)? Any good places to buy them? Driftworks?

I have the standard fly wheel as I never thought that it was worth while to change it. But anyone with real life experience on a daily with a lightened flywheel?
    Last edited by markcro; 05-06-2023 at 23:19.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Act hd organic was always my go to clutch. Nicest clutch I’ve driven on including exeedy and nismo supercopermix. Sadly I’ve overpowered them now so can’t run them anymore.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I went with an Xtreme 6 puck paddle for my particular application and a DW's lightened FW. This was on DW recommendation and I have no complaints. I'd give them a ring as they're a friendly and knowledgeable bunch.

Rides
    Can't speak to light pedals, but you can also get Clutchmasters stuff from Tuning Developments and ACT's from AutoExtreme.

There's also Competition Clutches, again not used them. Just some brands for options.

Rides
    I had friends in various car with puck paddle clutches and they were awful on the road. For me, I would class them as unusable in the real world. But I don't know what make/ type/ etc, and they were probably full competition/ race ones. But it has made me scared when I hear of paddle clutches ever since! :-)

Thanks guys.

And what are you thoughts on a lightened flywheel? 17 years of ownership on the standard one probably answers my own question, and I'll just leave well enough alone.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Wouldn’t bother with a lightened flywheel unless your Oem one can’t be skimmed.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Unfortunately I can't give you an opinion on the flywheel as I never did it incrementally, I had a whole new clutch and flywheel put on at the same time.

Rides
    the exedy 3 puk clutch is a nice clutch. i would get another one personally.

if it works out way cheaper then just get a new friction plate. unless you have been drifting it hard and would probably have some good heat spots on it.
    i put a lightweight flywheel on as i figured it would help lessen the rotating mass. the OEM one is pretty hefty in comparison.

Rides
    I haven't looked up the other clutch prices yet. But the Exedy kit is about 350 for friction plate, clutch cover and release bearing. Or around 90 quid just for the friction plate. She's never been drifted, 99% of a road car, but has done a fair few 1000 miles on track days. For the effort to get done, and only to save a few 100 quid, I'll replace the lot and do it right.

Apart from horrible experiences with friends puk clutches, which may be totally skewed as I know they must have went full "race" version, but the longevity worries me. 3 contacts patches versus a whole disk. They have to wear out quicker?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    If you like your current clutch and it’s done many thousands of miles at the same level of tune then it’s a no brainer to buy the same again. I changed from exeedy to act as I upped the power and killed the exeedy immediately.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    If you like your current clutch and it’s done many thousands of miles at the same level of tune then it’s a no brainer to buy the same again. I changed from exeedy to act as I upped the power and killed the exeedy immediately.
    The problem is I am not sure what I have. The bigger outter box p/n equates to a stage 2 clutch. But the smaller individual box p/ns match the Excedy Stage 1. Looking at the specs on the Excedy site, my 308 ft-lbs of torque exceeds the Stage 1 rating. But have I been running that? So not sure if to order stage 2 or go with the ACT that you recommend.

What is the clutch peddle weight like on the ACT? I found the Excedy very heavy compared to standard, but liveable.

Rides
    i had the 6 pad ACT and it was like trying to squash a house brick with your left leg. i sacked it off and went back to the exedy 3 pad clutch.

Rides
    Hahah! Yeah that is exactly what I don't want!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    The problem is I am not sure what I have. The bigger outter box p/n equates to a stage 2 clutch. But the smaller individual box p/ns match the Excedy Stage 1. Looking at the specs on the Excedy site, my 308 ft-lbs of torque exceeds the Stage 1 rating. But have I been running that? So not sure if to order stage 2 or go with the ACT that you recommend.

What is the clutch peddle weight like on the ACT? I found the Excedy very heavy compared to standard, but liveable.

The act hd organic I was running had a lighter pedal than my exeedy feeling almost stock but I killed it at about 370bhp. I’d have another tomorrow if it was up to the power I’m running. My exeedy died soon after fitting the 2871r when I was running about 300bhp but I don’t know which version I had.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Thanks for this. I'm running 311bhp / 308 ft-lbs, so that would do nicely and then some. So I think that I will go for one of those.

They are not cheap! That works out about 750 quid for me! :-0 And that's before fitting! :-( Now all of a sudden, the suggestion of just getting a new friction plate for 90 quid seems more appealing! But I want to do it right.
    so about twice the price of an Excedy.... hmm, I'l have to think.
    Last edited by markcro; 07-06-2023 at 22:42.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Another option is importing something from japan. Might be cheaper. Think that’s what I paid for my nismo clutch

Rides
    I just looked up my records, 12 years and 1 month ago, I had the Excedy clutch fitted for around 600 quid all in. So not as cheap as I remember either. About 30k miles on it now. And I am fairly easy on clutches, or at least I thought that I was!
    Yeah I look around and see what prices I can find. I'll get screwed with import tax/duty from Japan, the same as from the UK now. That is a real pain in the hole! :-(

Rides
    I have a competition clutch 6 puck clutch in my s14,
    It does my head in, if I need to replace it I'll get something with a more OEM feel to it.

Rides
    Yep, that is what I always wanted to avoid.