Thread: What causes severe rust to set in over 12 months?

Rides

What causes severe rust to set in over 12 months?

Had a bit of a crisis with the ever fateful touareg....

After successful completion of a 700 mile trip round south Wales last week it decided it was time to let the steering rack go, not a massive deal I thought due to age and constant use around farm with my trailer on.....

That was until I noticed the back wheel at an odd angle,

Well the upright ball joint has completely rotted off the wishbone,

Granted I've neglected the car a bit ghis last 2 yrs, but they certainly were no where near that 18 months ago when I did the discs and pads all round, and last MOT had "surface rust to subframes but not weakened"

Front isn't much better

Car has now been replaced, such a shame as its been a great run around for last 6 yrs and at only 107k thought it'd go forever.... still exceptionally tidy on top

So in the interest of the same not happening to the new one, what could I have driven through to cause such accelerated rusting..... or is it germanic steel at its finest and I should have done more waxoyling

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Rides
    Try Lanoguard on your next car. It might not have been an original arm, not like post 2010 VWs to rust away.

Rides
    Been looking at lanoguard, was trying to find some real life reviews, not sponsored YouTube vids before taking the plunge....

It's a 2005 so maybe like mercedes of that era and can turn to crust overnight?

I am amazed how quickly this rust has come on, usually I do pay a bit more attention, but with building a house extension completely DIY it's been neglected a bit and as the tops still in so good condition and I had a major poke around when I did the brakes I'm shocked it is so devastating so quickly.....

One of my arse hole neighbours dumped a load of clay into our shared driveway last year (supposedly to fill in the dips, but more because they didnt want the cost of a skip) and I wonder of thats whats accelerated the rusting.

Tho the volvo doesnt seem to have suffered when I checked.

I looked at 2 X5s as it's replacement and to be fair they were rather crusty for 2011 cars too, certainly more so than I'd expect in our modern understanding of metals and paints

Last edited by DLowe; 17-04-2023 at 21:28.

Rides
    Did you have Waxoyl or anything on them? That is mad, really serious rust! Were you driving in the sea/ beach? Extra salt on the roads in the last 2 years?

Rides
    Since selling the S14 I've not had much interest in doing "extra" to cars, so this is exactly as VW intended it.... that said the latest purchase is the most I've ever spent in a vehicle, so will be looking at options to keep it nice ...

Tho, I don't think rust is the biggest worry for it..... 5th land rover I've owned, always said never again... but they seem to be my version of crack

Rides
    I'd hazard a guess at it being this, "...due to age and constant use around farm with my trailer on".

Rides
    If you check the 4x4 groups on Facebook, or even some of the Lanoguard ads with comments, there are lots of positives. Has anyone had it on their car for a decade though yet, I'm not sure.

Rides
    The land rover pages have a lot of positive reviews, but as you say its too new a product to know how good it lasts....

From what I can see it might be a yearly application that's required so at £200 a kit might not be cost effective against more traditional treatments, does look nice and easy to do tho

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    I'd hazard a guess at it being this, "...due to age and constant use around farm with my trailer on".
    I've been doing same thing for 15yrs tho and none of my old discos, terrano, hilux or the touareg until last 12 months have seen any more rot than normal road cars,

I don't go off reading in thick crud, just up and down the farm tracks and rarely use it in bad weather there.

And when I say neglected for 2 yrs, it's been regular washed and jet washed underneath, just not waxed and polished or crawled under which I used to try and do monthly

Rides
    I personally don't trust products you see on Facebook ads etc because they offer people discounts, free stuff or partial refunds in exchange for a good review. Not a reflection on their quality or effectiveness, i just feel that they are underhanded tactics to get people to purchase. I will always be a fan of Bilt Hamber and all products they do as I have many of them and if you follow their instructions the products are exceptional and reasonably priced. (not sponsored!)

Rides
    To be fair I don't remember the Lanoguard adverts offering discounts, one of the ads is a bit misleading. It shows "treated with" and a relatively clean car, but of course it isn't something you spray on a rusty vehicle and it regenerates it.

But again, I have nothing invested in it. I just hear that it's popular. Come back in 10 years and see if the cars are still alive.

Rides
    Hi. i restored my s14a with bilt hamber products 10 years ago and its still looking good. Have a look at thier "dynax ub" and "s50". One is a box section wax, the other is a underseal. Realy easy to use, good long term salt test results. The products are packed with zinc which slows any corrosion. Thier epoxy mastic is great too but i dont think youll need that.

Rides
    Another recommendation for Bilt Hamber, used on the SX

Rides
    I've seen a few cars from that era go like that. It tends to be everything that bolts on to the chassis rather than the chassis itself.

The Bilt Hamber stuff seems to work. I heat it up in the slow cooker first and use a Sealey wax injection kit. It's not something you can do once though, it really needs to be done annually. If you really want to go to town on it then hot dip galvanising anything that can unbolt seems to work then wax over the top.

My old Citroen Xsara used to have a small oil leak and everything down wind of it was perfectly preserved!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I used to give the old disco a 6 monthly squirt with old hydraulic oil and it worked wonders for the rust, probably not for the environment tho