Thread: 180SX import to Europe

Rides

180SX import to Europe

Hi.

Has anyone here imported or know of someone who imported a 180SX to Europe? I cannot find any past or present listings for a 180SX nor any registered cars in my country.
    I'm wondering if some type approval issues may arise when I'd import one.

Rides
    Welcome to the board.

I would imagine that your destination country would be able to register it as a 240SX, 200SX or Silvia and will have documentation on file for one.

But it's likely something you'll need to ask your regulatory body.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Welcome to the board.

I would imagine that your destination country would be able to register it as a 240SX, 200SX or Silvia and will have documentation on file for one.

But it's likely something you'll need to ask your regulatory body.
    There are a little over a hundred 200SXs registered and a few Silvias and 240SXs. Interestingly only one of the hatchback 200SX is marked as having a 2L displacement but it's production date is listed as 1989 implying an engine swap to a SR20. Were it produced post 1991 it would indicate a possibility of a 180SX being registered as a 200SX since the European market never got the SR20 on a hatchback S13 chassis to my knowledge. I have sent an inquiry to my regulatory body asking for more information regarding the 180 SX specifically.

Another question: Will 200SX front headlights fit on a 180SX? The rear fog light addition is well documented here but I didn't find anything regarding the headlight conversion. As I understand E marked headlights are required for passing the single vehicle approval test in my country (in addition to adjusting the headlights to be suitable for LHD driving).

Rides
    I have no reason to doubt that the lights will fit but I have no way to confirm it either. But if they do you could always find 200SX LHD or 240SX lamps to use. Though prices for them are rising, specifically for the plastic trims.

Rides
    By lamp do you mean the whole headlight unit along with the motor as opposed to just the glass lens that needs to be changed in order to adjust the beam? And could you elaborate on the plastic trims part? Are you referring to black piece of plastic highlihted in yellow below?

Thanks for all the info

Rides
    Yep, the trim you have circled in yellow is becoming increasingly difficult to find because they are brittle with age.

However EFI Solutions in Australia do an aftermarket replacement

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/head...surround-180sx

Rides
    im fairly confident that the plastic trims will be the same on LHD and RHD cars.
    i would just buy some LHD replacement lamps and fit those,
    im confident that they are not actually nissan specific and just a something" X something" rectangular headlamps lamps.
    ive a feeling that late model 180's have different glass lenses to 200sx or early 180's

ive about 20 of those plastics i best get them sold if they are rare ££.
    Last edited by green_rs13; 23-03-2023 at 16:38.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Yep, the trim you have circled in yellow is becoming increasingly difficult to find because they are brittle with age.

However EFI Solutions in Australia do an aftermarket replacement

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/head...surround-180sx
    Thanks for the link. I'm currently looking at FB posts of 180SXs with EU plates so importing shouldn't be a problem.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    im fairly confident that the plastic trims will be the same on LHD and RHD cars.
    i would just buy some LHD replacement lamps and fit those,
    im confident that they are not actually nissan specific and just a something" X something" rectangular headlamps lamps.
    ive a feeling that late model 180's have different glass lenses to 200sx or early 180's

ive about 20 of those plastics i best get them sold if they are rare ££.
    Do you have LHD or RHD models? Do they have E marks? Maybe I'm interested.

Oh right, you were talking about the black plastic around the headlight itself, not the glass lenses.
    Last edited by josh_; 23-03-2023 at 19:14.

Rides
    There are 180s all over Europe so it's possible to get them in easily.

Rides

Rides
    Yes, now just the question of sourcing LHD E-marked lenses.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    Ah, didn't see your message before posting. Thanks for the link.

Rides
    Surprisingly autodoc shows that some headlights which fit both the 200SX and the second generation Toyota MR2. I have two MR2 headlights sitting around, will definitely try them before buying new ones. As @green_rs13 pointed out though - the later generation 180SXs might not have the same fitment. Autodoc does not show any 180SX's past 1994 when the second facelift of the second iteration happened.

Rides
    the headlight surrounds were still available with nissan UK recently, I ordered a pair about 6 months ago - probably new 'old stock' but were still there.

MR2 headlights definitely fit in terms of the mount points but the bulb mounts are different at the back. I've used them on my 180SX. there's generic ones on eBay that I bought.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Be aware if you bring it in from the UK youll need to pay VAT, if it comes from any of the EU countries you wont have to pay it.
    We have the same problem but the other way around, yay for Brexit.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    I’m painfully aware. I plan on importing from Japan so have to pay VAT+customs anyway.

Rides
    two more things, before I forget - the ones available on eBay UK currently don't look like the ones I bought - they were £39 for two (oh, pre-inflation days). This is the closest match I can find.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133542043...3ABFBMovXczOVh

I'd note that the 180 has clear lenses from factory, just as these do - UK S13 200SX headlights have the beam pattern created at the glass, so provided you have LHD equivalents, you're fine from a beam pattern point of view. those rubber wiring mounts are how the pop ups mount on those, they're different to the normal rubber boots.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    200/180SX have tapered glass lens, thick at inner edge and thin at outer. Many replacement headlamps with same size rectangle have flat glass, this will leave a gap at inner edge between plastic and lens.