Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Car computer fun

Rides
    that would be cool thanks very much.

Rides
    PM sent

Rides
    Clicked on the link and got a screen full of characters?????
    Had a look round the site though, very nice, thought i had stubled on a private ragnarok server for a bit
    now that would of been cool, i love that game

Rides
    Originally posted by Leviathan
    Clicked on the link and got a screen full of characters?????
    Had a look round the site though, very nice, thought i had stubled on a private ragnarok server for a bit
    now that would of been cool, i love that game
    I have sent you a new link and also some information on a server

Rides
    can some plese pm me with details of where to buy these screens. want to place my old dreamcast into the car . and this would make a great addition to the boot install i am planning

thx jim

Rides
    If you are just planning to use your dreamcast in the car have a look on ebay for a 7" or similar lcd monitor, ive seen some for about £60 ish.

Desperately trying to escape Schtoke on trent
    Rides
    right im actually doing this now..... gettin a 7" 800x600 capable vga input monitor for 140 notes odd... lilliput-on the mp3car site they seem to dig it. also a 300w inverter off ebay for 25 quid odd and im looking into gps software and usb gps "mice" now and im gonna get a webcam or 2 as a front bumper cam and a rear reversing cam......

how f cking sweet is this gonna be.....im gonna sod it -get a bed conversion and live in me *****

Rides
    If you are going to be putting a computer in there you might as well get the lilliput one with vga input and touch screen option as well, not very easy using a mouse or keyboard while driving

Moving over to the dark (german) side in a cloud of diesel smoke
    Rides
    Isn't there a more efficient way to power it up than using an invertor? (I may have said this in another thread)
    A computer runs from 12v & 5v rails. An invertor is actually converting 12v > 240v > 12v & 5v You must be burning a lot of heat off by using an invertor.

Rides
    Its not just the +12v & +5V you need for the pc motherboard you also need -12v & -5v as well as 0v (not the same as Ground)
    Yes it does give off a bit of heat but not enough to worry about.

Rides
    they do make in car PSUs but they only take 150w odd at the mo which isnt enough if you are running anything over 500mhz unless its a custom low power system. So im just gonna get a 300w invertor so i can stick loads of silly usb stuff and devices in....and continually pray for my alternator as I have 2 amps and a power cap in it.....

btw.... i know this has been covered on mp3car...but i dont beleive it. Im gonna have a case with the pc in it in the boot..the boot will be shared with 2 12" subs 2 amps an inverter and a power cap. is this at all sensible? if not how far from what do i need to be? Only other choice is under passenger seat and i dont like that cos of spillages and lack of seat adjustment.

Rides
    You could always use the mounting for the aircon pump and put another alternator on there and have another battery in the boot to power it all.

Rides
    whey!!!! just brought me self a 7.2" moniter , does 16:9 ntsc/pal and other stuff i havent even heard of.

got it from ebay in the end. just sorting out the paym,ent detials then its on its way to me. looks like my dreamcast will be in the car quiucker than i thought.

hmm, maybe i'll c about hooking the laptop up to it. i seem to remember having a vga out socket.

anyway, hope to have it in the car soon. goona mount it above the heater vents in the centre. in a custom surround. i'll post pics as anmd when. wish me luck

jim

Moving over to the dark (german) side in a cloud of diesel smoke
    Rides
    Here's an invertor that you guys might find useful ...

Ebuyer
    300W & £45

Rides
    cheers raz. maybe now i can play my laptop through the screen as well.

jim

Rides
    Just read the entire post from start to finish That install rocks! Definitely one of the best in car pcs I've seen... Sounds like you've really started something now.

Jut

Rides
    psst can I rob the nissan skin off you too ? Gettin my 7" touchscreen in soon. mmmmm. just bought a voodoo 5 for £15 lol and a dvd drive for £12 for it. now just need a 4 channel amp and some 256mb sticks of pc133 and ill be done (bar fitting it doh)

has anyone got any ideas about what the difference is (apart from £20 quid of software) between the £30 gps mice and the £100 speaking ones -given the same software wont any of them speak?

Rides
    M Pro I love it! I'm a proper geek and this sounds fantastic. I'm seriously considering trying something out similar to you. If you get a chance you should write up a kind of step by step for others (including me ) out there trying to do the same, or even just a few pointers.

Rides
    This site might interest people?

PREBUILDER

This is stage that i am at. I am trying to develop a hardrive less system that will not skip or damage the hard drive through the shock of the car and make it as small aws possible.and mount it in the massive holes beside the rear seats. by using IRDA or bluetooth running the engine mgmt and the mp3 collection off the screen and this magic box. the engine mgmt needs a windows base to run hence the link above.

either that or go the easy way and just install my laptop back in it.

EVL

Rides
    got my 7" touchscreen with vga input today. looks sweet as fook but aint tried it out yet cos im knackered after injector fitting at 1am last night but will do later-ill let you know how it works/displays (meant to be able to do 1600x1200 or something stupid). prob wont be in the car for a while tho-gotta blend it in and get the pc working ok (currently fsb of 133 1 stick 64b of pc100 and 64mb of pc66-needless to say its not stable-got 256mb for 11.50 off ebay tho should be here soon.)