Thread: Who was the guy who built stunning Aquariums ? I've got turtles

Rides

Who was the guy who built stunning Aquariums ? I've got turtles

I've adopted some turtles

And they are so cute

They are so attentive, I've now committed to spoiling them. But need some advice.

Those stick on tank thermometers are crap. Over read by around 2 degrees C - I have a digital one with what looks like an EGT sensor to stick in the water and now I have raised the temp, they are both more active.

Now boredom, apparently turtles can get bored. So I have rocks for them to play around and as basking is really important, got them a floating basking pier

Live plants is probably a no no as Turtles are destructive and will eat them as fast as I can put them in.

These Turtles are being spoiled.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    I've adopted some turtles

And they are so cute

They are so attentive, I've now committed to spoiling them. But need some advice.

Those stick on tank thermometers are crap. Over read by around 2 degrees C - I have a digital one with what looks like an EGT sensor to stick in the water and now I have raised the temp, they are both more active.

Now boredom, apparently turtles can get bored. So I have rocks for them to play around and as basking is really important, got them a floating basking pier

Live plants is probably a no no as Turtles are destructive and will eat them as fast as I can put them in.

These Turtles are being spoiled.
    It was Jem, last activity in 2017. Does anyone still speak to him or are there any more Aquarium peeps here?

Rides
    Hi. I have kept turtles for 25 years. I currently have two garden ponds and two large aquariums. 3 yellow belly sliders, one razorback musk and a.... common snapper. I once worked in Switzerland as a reptile zoo keeper.

Stick on temp strips are shite. you really need the sensor in the water but where they cant get to easily and not next to a heater if you have one.

Floating docks, does your turtle get completely dry and get its shell out of the water? It should be able to.

Live plants are ok as long as they are not poisonous to turtles. Don't use them myself in the tanks.

Can i ask what breed you have and how your tank is set up? Do you know that turtles kept together can have issues with aggression?

I will put some pictures of mine up.

Love it when i bump in to another turtle keeper!

Rides

Bigest pond with two yellow bellied sliders.

Snapper

Razorback musk

Snapper a year ago, still growing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    They are mud turtles. 5 years old now. Previous owner said they rarely come out to bask, but they are becoming a bit more adventurous. No where near as big as the one you are holding. Still quite juvenile I guess.

Rides
    Also, they have been kept together all the time. They are fine together

Rides
    cool. do you have any pictures?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 6terras View Post
    cool. do you have any pictures?
    Once they have been relocated out of the Dining room, I'll get some photos.