Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fibre S14 Kouki

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Pretty certain Grams Styling already produce wings and over fenders in carbon fibre.
    Wingfield Brothers products will be far higher quality than Grams stuff I'm 100% sure. But that comes with a price for the quality

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Pretty certain Grams Styling already produce wings and over fenders in carbon fibre.
    yeah it would be way cheaper but I cant find a thing for an S14a, only an S14!

BTW went to the service manual to see how to remove the wings and nothing exists, seems just a few bolts on top and under the wheel arch, does anyone have it written down?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sr20det1 View Post
    yeah it would be way cheaper but I cant find a thing for an S14a, only an S14!

BTW went to the service manual to see how to remove the wings and nothing exists, seems just a few bolts on top and under the wheel arch, does anyone have it written down?
    Take the arch liner out, bumper and sill skirt off, side light and headlight out then its just bolts. Cant remember exactly but you might need to open the door to access one or more

Rides
    Perfect, will give that a go, thank Mike!

Rides
    Hi all, just a quick update on this thread

I originally approached Wingfield about having some carbon wings and rear spoiler made up but ended up not pursuing it due to the sheer cost of having to pay for both the moulds and the parts (apologies @piman2k, I know we were talking about a batch order at one point but ran out of steam!)

I also got to look at a carbon wing sample from Grams Styling which wasn't so bad, it was however pointed out that they are designed more for weight savings (e.g. motorsport) than show car level finish but I haven't completely given up on that route

Anyway I now have these 2 lovely Seibon parts sitting around in my garage and about to fit them (trunk and boot lid):
    http://seiboncarbon.co.uk/products/t...san-240sx.html
    http://seiboncarbon.co.uk/oem-style-...san-240sx.html

Has anyone had any experience fitting any of these they could share? I know Seibon recommend removing any existing dampers/springs etc as it could damage the lighter carbon pieces. Particularly interested in fitment using existing hardware and sealing (I came across butyl tape as a recommendation). Also given we have a top mount turbo, do people refit the heat shield from the original hood? (ours didnt have one!)

Cheers

Rides
    No problems chap, as it happens my priorities changed a long while back anyway. FYI your links are broken.

The S14 doesn't have anything that you'd need to remove, there are no gas springs on either the bonnet or the boot. Note that your boot springs are calibrated for a metal bootlid with a spoiler, so when you fit your Seibon boot it will open much faster.

You will want to consider using bonnet pins on the bonnet as well. The bonnet itself goes directly onto the OEM hinges and engages with the OEM latch. You can get the original bonnet seal to fit on the leading edge as well.

I ran an EFR7670, a big top mount, and never used a shield. But I did ceramic coat it so that may have offered some protection.

Rides
    No problems chap, as it happens my priorities changed a long while back anyway. FYI your links are broken.

The S14 doesn't have anything that you'd need to remove, there are no gas springs on either the bonnet or the boot. Note that your boot springs are calibrated for a metal bootlid with a spoiler, so when you fit your Seibon boot it will open much faster.

You will want to consider using bonnet pins on the bonnet as well. The bonnet itself goes directly onto the OEM hinges and engages with the OEM latch. You can get the original bonnet seal to fit on the leading edge as well.

I ran an EFR7670, a big top mount, and never used a shield. But I did ceramic coat it so that may have offered some protection.

Rides
    ah thanks for the reply mate, yeah heard stories about the lighter carbon boot lid springing up, was going to consider removing the springs but do people leave them in place? One thing I notice on my existing boot lid is there is not much in the way of a seal and it does let in water so wanted to fix all that when I fit the carbon boot lid

Yes was planning on bonnet pins, but is that to say it will shut and lock without them just the pins make it safer in terms of the bonnet accidentally springing up? you wouldn't happen to know anyone in the London East/Herts/Essex area that could help me fit them? don't really fancy cutting into the carbon myself tbh!

I'm pleased you mentioned ceramic coating, which one did you use and how did you apply it out of interest?

Cheers

Rides
    Yep, the hood will latch onto the factory latch and stay in place, but it's not recommended as the only latch. The latching ring is inherently weaker because it's attached to the fibreglass underskin and not to sheet metal like the OEM bonnet. Any good bodyshop should be able to help, I would go for aero-catches as they're much easier on the eye and go flush.

My ceramic coat was plasma applied by Full Race prior to delivery of my turbo kit. You can get it done at places like Zircotec over here.

And you can remove the springs I imagine from the boot, I actually can't visualise them as I sit here at work.

Rides
    Got you yeah makes sense on the latches

The boot 'spring' is basically what seems to be 2 flexible bars installed in a cross over arrangement I guess to act against each other

Zirotec look amazing, some top customers by the look of it. Do you have any pics of your build? would be interested to see the setup!

Cheers

Rides
    Oh it was a long time ago a whole different car. I'll see if I can find a picture of the turbo set up.

Rides
    Turbo ceramic coated, and manifold (viewed from underneath).

Rides
    Nice one! that finish looks slick as well as practical, i guess this is a good alternative to turbo blankets/heat wrap etc. What's your current car?

Quick question on the hood again, in terms of being able to transport the carbon hood to a body shop to fit catches, do you feel the standard latching ring/catch is secure enough to drive it up there?, could be up to an hour drive but would go easy of course

Rides
    As long as you didn't race around you'd be fine. Drive conservatively.

I have another S14 Kouki at the moment that I'm picking away at.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    As long as you didn't race around you'd be fine. Drive conservatively.

I have another S14 Kouki at the moment that I'm picking away at.
    Nice one piman!, would be interested in seeing some pics of your current Kouki at some point

Anyway here is a pic of the car with the carbon trunk mounted now:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Arf-yOsTGQrvyxkY...Wez7g?e=ocVLSd
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!Arf-yOsTGQrvyxga...Dif1F?e=DOzZ4W

Not sure if you can see that as its shared on my OneDrive? (that was going to be one of my feedback responses to the 'what do you want out of the forum' thread actually i.e. sharing pics on the forum is not so easy as you cant simply upload a pic)
    Last edited by sr20det1; 14-09-2023 at 23:03.

Rides
    Your car looks good, parts look like they fit well!

Re mine: this was it in April 2021, tbh the most up to date image I have of it. Lots has gone on and been done on the sub assemblies, the shell is relatively tidy and straight so hasn't needed much.

Engine off to be built next month, underside restoration in the new year. Just had other priorities in life.

Rides
    looks great, lovely colour that by the way, we're going for a TH1 respray later in the year

Where are you going for your rebuild and restoration job? what are you going for with the engine?

Rides
    Thanks for showing interest It's the factory BN6 Sapphire but I would like to change the car to Black or White.

I think it's going to go to Bespoke Automotive for the underbody refurbishment, painting and general assembly. It'll be going to Smart Automotive, closer to me, for the welding work so that if something horrendous is found I can be on site to make decisions. And Paul Cheshire is going to be building my engine. I'm actually just waiting on new hydraulic lifters and rocker arms and then I'll be able to send the engine 'kit' off to him to get started.

The engine came unbuilt with the car, Eagle Rods, JE pistons etc. I think the block has been machined to 87mm already and the pistons are definitely 87mm fitment but again, Paul will measure everything up before he assembles and handle all the machine work.

I almost bought a Tomei stroker kit, but since I am staying low mount and small frame turbo it didn't really make sense. Though if there are proven to be any issues with the crank or rotating assembly then it's still a possibility that I will.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Thanks for showing interest It's the factory BN6 Sapphire but I would like to change the car to Black or White.

I think it's going to go to Bespoke Automotive for the underbody refurbishment, painting and general assembly. It'll be going to Smart Automotive, closer to me, for the welding work so that if something horrendous is found I can be on site to make decisions. And Paul Cheshire is going to be building my engine. I'm actually just waiting on new hydraulic lifters and rocker arms and then I'll be able to send the engine 'kit' off to him to get started.

The engine came unbuilt with the car, Eagle Rods, JE pistons etc. I think the block has been machined to 87mm already and the pistons are definitely 87mm fitment but again, Paul will measure everything up before he assembles and handle all the machine work.

I almost bought a Tomei stroker kit, but since I am staying low mount and small frame turbo it didn't really make sense. Though if there are proven to be any issues with the crank or rotating assembly then it's still a possibility that I will.
    Very cool, will be really interested to see how this turns out, what are your power goals for the engine build?

We almost went stroker with ours, at one point we were even thinking of building the engine around a VE head with solid lifters but got side tracked by aesthetics hence all the chat about these carbon parts!

BTW the carbon hood is mounted now and looks great, I must say the Seibon quality is better than I expected, both the hood and trunk seem very well made and fit well

We're planning to show it at Go Japan on Sunday so will post some pics once its all cleaned up (we've made a few further interesting changes to the car which make it look quite unique!)
    Last edited by sr20det1; 20-09-2023 at 23:08.

Rides
    The VE heads are good fun but I think for most users they aren't worth the effort. I considered it strongly but couldn't make the finances work for the benefits.

I am building an car for approximately 350-400hp, but with as much responses as I can, hence a low mount G25-550 with a 0.64 housing.