Thread: Bad turbo upgrade

Rides

Bad turbo upgrade

I think my turbo is bad, instead of just replacing it with another s14 turbo im thinking go for s15 spec r,

What do you think ?

Also will i need a new tune im current stage 2 ?

Rides
    If you have the stock S14 turbo then the only thing different about the S15 is the fact it's ball bearing, other than that it's the same. So on paper, 150/200 rpm earlier spool. Maybe.

In reality, I don't think you'd notice.

You won't need to do anything to accommodate it ECU wise.

Rides
    Its better to diagnose the problem before replacing parts, trust me.
    Whats making you say your turbo is bad?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Rides
    I replaced the standard turbo with another standard turbo from a mate i know as someone welded up the old one when snapping bolts so it turned out cheaper but anyway, i have only changed the manifold and turbo and at 4k rpm a mighty metalic grind happens also on occasion i get white smoke out the exhaust not always but sometimes,

Strange thing is my coolant level seems to be fine or i am loosing minimal so i think either the water jacket in the turbo has gone but its more the metalic grind that bothers me i was guna take it to a shop to get it diagnosed anyway but i was just wondering cz research has shown the s15 turbo is a bit more reliable aswell

Rides
    If you take the inlet elbow off the turbo and give the shaft a wiggle, there should only be a little bit of movement up and down, same with in and out. If there is a lot of movement, its worn out and either needs a rebuild or replacement.
    As for the white smoke, if you aren't using any coolant at all then it could just be condensation building up in your exhaust. How much do you drive it and when does the white smoke occur? It could be worth also doing a sniff test on the coolant just to rule out any potential head gasket problems.
    If you do happen to change your turbo, I'd recommend swapping to braided lines if you haven't already as they are much more durable than the old hard lines

Rides
    I drive it daily basically its weird it doesn't happen all the time i have noticed it twice badly when i say drive down the motor way and on my turn off stopped at the light and i seen the white cloud, then again when i drove from work and stopped to reverse onto the drive it happened again, but then today it hasnt happened my exhaust is straight decat straight pipe to back box but the two times i have noticed the cloud i was like wow thats alot,

I already have braided lines aswell i know the gasket between mani and turbo has split (delaminated) but dont think that could cause it but i know it could cause the metalic noise i a hearing

Rides
    The noise is weird only when i pass 4k rpm then stops then coming back down the revs it makes the noise again at 4k

Rides
    If your turbo is loose from the manifold via a blown gasket causing the studs to wind out or nuts to come loose, this will 100% make a tingling metallic noise. It's the gasket flapping between the manifold and turbo that makes the noise.
    I reckon that's your issue right there and it's really common, especially with aftermarket exhausts as they aren't made to be a perfect fit most of the time, they end up pushing or pulling on the turbo, crushing the gasket down too much and letting exhaust gases escape out the gap which burns the gasket away. It's like a snow ball effect.
    Best way to stop this is solid bracing the downpipe to the engine block and/or gearbox and also use polyurethane exhaust hangers. Other things to consider are quality manifold to turbo studs (tack welded to the manifold) and nuts, locking tabs and a genuine nissan gasket.

Rides
    Could this cause the smoke though ?

Rides
    I wouldn't think so, but it seems strange that you are getting white smoke intermittently but not using any coolant. If the water jacket was cracked on the turbo, I'd guess that you would get white smoke as soon as the engine is running for any length of time, enough time for the heat to be enough to evaporate any leaking coolant. I'd defo get a sniff test done on the coolant to make sure its not a head gasket issue. If that's all clear then I guess you will need to remove the turbo any way to sort the gasket at very least. There may be signs in the exhaust housing of water, maybe it looks cleaner or there is white residue in there from the coolant.

Rides
    Ok so i think its either my dif or gearbox! as i daily drive it i have kept and eye on my coolant and nothing has been lost over the last week.

But today i was driving to work down the motorway and on decline i lifted off the throttle and let the car slow itself down in 5th looked out the back window white smoke bellowing out if the rear, as soon as i put the clutch down and take it out of gear smoke stops!

The car sat fir 3 years before i got it the start of the year and i got it back in the road after slot of rust repair and have basically just been driivng it to see how it goes mechanically before i fix it up stuff has gone wrong and over the last few months i noticed that the drive train is noise, going into gear somtimes clunks from the rear and stuff so my thoughts now is eithere the gearbox is going bad or the diff. White smoke out the back when in gear slowing down make me think either clutch is slipping alot causing smoke or the gearbox or diff is just about to blow what do you think?

Rides
    Depressing the the clutch when decelerating just takes the load off the engine. I would very much doubt this is a transmission issue.

How sure are you that its white smoke and not blue? If you aren't using water then its either fuel or oil.
    If it's oil, then I'd say turbo seals, valve stem seals or breather system (PCV) or a combination.
    How often do you check your oil?

Rides
    I will check it today i was thinking pcv as it sat for year my need a new valve i moght just order it all as they aint the most expensive just to make sure

Rides
    They are easy to check. Blow through one end then the other. One way should allow free flow, the other side should not allow any flow.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    They are easy to check. Blow through one end then the other. One way should allow free flow, the other side should not allow any flow.

Being pedantic, the PCV should open on idle vac (-18 inHg) so to test you should blow through one end (and it not flow) then suck hard through the same end (and it flow).

Unless its very, very clean that will not taste very nice though lol.