Thread: horn / steering column grounding issues

Rides

horn / steering column grounding issues

Im in the last stages of rebuilding my car and realised the horn didnt work. I think I have worked out that it should ground through the steering column but when I check with a multimeter the steering column has no ground.

Does anyone know where the steering column grounds to so I can get all horny.

thanks in advance

Rides
    the bolts that fasten the column to the chassis.
    the actual horn unit grounds through where it mounts too, so if you have loads of paint it wont form a good ground.

Rides
    Is that the bolts under the dash or is it in the engine bay

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Rides
    For anyone else looking at this later. The steering column grounds through the two bolts under the dash the attaches the column to a heavy metal bar that runs across the car under the dash.

Im not sure why but when I checked for continuity tonight I got a ground through the steering column. I think theres a clear coating on the column which was was giving me issues last night but when i checked against the threads tonight rather than the end I got a good ground. This then grounds the metal frame of the steering wheel which the horn buttin is pressed against.

I still didnt get the horn working. Checking further down the line I have found that my brand new horns dont work but at least Im now getting 12v to them when the horn button is pressed.