Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Prices Change Soon?

Rides

Will Prices Change Soon?

So it's 2021, and the era of the £10k S14 crept up on us. It's now 2022, that flew past us and we seem to be in the era of the £14k average S14.

But, will it last? With the cost of living crisis starting to take hold and really bite, I've seen more S14's for sale than I can ever remember seeing.

Plenty of abandoned projects, lots of finished cars, many standard cars. All over the country. Could we start to see prices drop as people determine they need to sell rather than want to sell?

Last edited by piman2k; 30-08-2022 at 12:04.

Rides
    And that's before you hit eBay, where there are even ex-member cars there

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I’ve been thinking about this lately, even being tempted to sell up at times. I’m not convinced they will drop back to the prices they used to be. I’d expect that the demographic of people buying are mainly younger people with little to no overheads and are more recession proof than a lot of us.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I'd be interested in how many of these cars sell and what the actual price they get for them. I got a feeling that it's a bit like Richard Rawlings dealing where they offer 50% of what they are asking then end up meeting somewhere around 30% of what they were asking.
    I think the issue is that good clean well spec'd cars are getting put up for strong money, then shitbox "drift cars" loaded with every Japspeed/Driftworks part possible, rust, poor paint, no interior are going up for the same money meaning there are very few reasonably priced cars out there.
    If I had a penny for every "selling my pride and enjoy, just had engine rebuild 1000 miles ago, £20k ono" for sale ad I've seen, I'd have enough to buy an S14a

Rides
    Going to be the rarer models starting to take a lot of the market big sales I feel. As Mike says above a well specced & clean car with some tasty parts will fetch far more than your beaten to **** pod car, no interior with all of the Japspeed gear on.

3 years ago I nearly let my 180sx Type X go for £8,000 due to the condition it was in, instead I sold my 335i and kept the 180sx and boy I'm glad I did with the market prices. 6 years of ownership I don't think I'm letting go anytime soon. I have a price in my head if someone came and slapped it in my hand I'd have no dramas letting it go, but I'm not going to waste time advertising it for cretins to message me like last time with dumb questions like "wOuLd YoU sElL mE jUsT tHe ReAr LiGhTs!?" Yeah alright mate, and leave a whacking great gap in the rear end...

It's costing me next to nothing to keep in a garage appreciating year by year, soon they will be unachievable for a lot to own and if I hadn't bought mine 6 years ago I'd be looking at other sporty machines.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    If I had a penny for every "selling my pride and enjoy, just had engine rebuild 1000 miles ago, £20k ono" for sale ad I've seen, I'd have enough to buy an S14a
    I was chatting to Hamish about this the other day, there has been a huge surge in cars being sold with barely run in rebuilt engines. For me, that would instantly put me off.

Mine is in pieces, and thanks to Brexits affect on my industry, then the fear of the pandemic followed my relationship ending it will remain in pieces for the foreseeable future. Like Oreos below, it's not costing me anything to keep it in the garage and I can't imagine selling it because it would be hard to buy back.

But if the prices fall through the floor as people sell because they need to sell, well, that'll be interesting to see.

Rides
    Over the last 4 years I have had about 7 people call into the house, 2 very nice letters dropped into the post box, asked by the paint shop, if I would sell my S14a. There last week I was filling with petrol late one night, and a brand new Beemer X5 pulls up beside me and asks if I would be interested in selling?
    In all these encounters, I have never asked once how much they would stump up. Just in case that I would be tempted! The decent ones here have around 20k asking price. But mine is not for sale.

Rides
    I remember in 2013 having just released my White car to the tune of about £27k in build bills, I pulled up to fill up at Shell and a guy pulled up next to me asking to buy it. He said, "if you want to sell it now I'll give you FIVE GRAND" and the poor sausage was being serious.

I won't sell mine only because I know that I'll never be willing to pay the current market rate for one since, as much as I love them, there are better cars for £20k

Rides
    I'm not sure if the prices will last - they've not quite got to the 'unicorn' self sustaining ridiculous prices of some of the other iconic JDM cars.

I'm not selling regardless but be interesting to see - I'd like the money in it to get some easier parts supply happening, maybe I'm just out of the loop since I'm not as active anymore but some 'road car' stuff seems fairly difficult to get.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    I could probably sell mine and recoup all the money i've spent on it the past 4-5 years but I could never recoup the amount of blood sweat and tears ive splashed on it, so won't be selling mine.... however I would like to drive it one day as ive only ever had it on the road a week :-s

Rides
    Can you even imagine buying an S14 for £20k? I love them, but I'd feel robbed.

Rides
    To add salt to the wound. If was was to buy a UK car at those asking prices above, I would then need to convert that into Euro, AND THEN, add 23% VAT thanks to Brexit. So the above screenshot prices quickly start heading towards 30k for me! :-0 :-(

Rides
    Yeah I don't want to go down the Brexit route. I am quite....passionate about that topic

But you're absolutely right, it does disadvantage us both each way.

The Nord Stream 1 pipeline for gas has today been closed indefinitely by Gazprom Russia so they are expecting another solid shock to gas price predictions tomorrow. I strongly think we are going to see the cost of all kinds of cars dropping, especially hobby cars, as people have to find money they hadn't budgetted for.

Rides
    I’m always baffled by s body owners, why so unhappy about your car appreciating? I’m never selling mine so I don’t care especially, just keep an eye for insurance purposes. If they are going up in price why complain?

All JDM classics have appreciated because they are sought after in the car scene.

The media have wounded up the general public around the cost of living but there’s still millions wealthy people who can afford to splash out on luxury items, I don’t really think it’s going to affect asking prices in the long term for that reason.

Rides
    Not at all unhappy about it appreciating, just don't think I'd buy one at the current rates.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Been having this conversation a few times over the last weeks, for me there are 2 markets in classic cars.
    One is being either very rare (black RS Turbo anyone?) or something that will always be sought after because of the way it looks (FD RX7), the way it performs (R34 GTR) or the lifestyle/image thats associated with it (VW Type 2s); exotics like Ferraris, Lambos and GT Porsches fall into this, they will always hold value.

Over the last 10/15 years there has also been a lot of fairly ordinary stuff thats ballooned in value despite actually being shit cars. I saw someone asking 6K for a 1.8 LX Sierra the other day, sure it was clean but in 2000 it wouldnt have sold for £600, but somehow 20 years has suddenly made it into a better, more valuable car .........

Its the same for the 200s, while I really enjoyed them I wouldnt have paid more than £2K for a straight S13 or S14, the passing of 15 years has not suddenly made them faster, prettier or more enjoyable to drive, at the end of the day they are still £3K cars that *some* people are prepared to pay more for.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Been having this conversation a few times over the last weeks, for me there are 2 markets in classic cars.
    One is being either very rare (black RS Turbo anyone?) or something that will always be sought after because of the way it looks (FD RX7), the way it performs (R34 GTR) or the lifestyle/image thats associated with it (VW Type 2s); exotics like Ferraris, Lambos and GT Porsches fall into this, they will always hold value.

Over the last 10/15 years there has also been a lot of fairly ordinary stuff thats ballooned in value despite actually being shit cars. I saw someone asking 6K for a 1.8 LX Sierra the other day, sure it was clean but in 2000 it wouldnt have sold for £600, but somehow 20 years has suddenly made it into a better, more valuable car .........

Its the same for the 200s, while I really enjoyed them I wouldnt have paid more than £2K for a straight S13 or S14, the passing of 15 years has not suddenly made them faster, prettier or more enjoyable to drive, at the end of the day they are still £3K cars that *some* people are prepared to pay more for.
    You Sir, should be banned!! :-)

Look it is no different from Jag E-Types rotting in fields in the 1980s. They were just old thirsty sh1t heaps. Or Dodge Chargers being cheap scumbag cars of no value. So cheap that a TV show could hoover up a few 100 of them.
    I pulled a Jensen Interceptor out of a field about 20 years ago. It was worth nothing. What madman would want 7.2 litres of rust?!
    But now.............$$$$$$

And the same SXs/ other cars. They will go from cheap as chips to being dear. The one issue that I have, I used to blast around on track days having fun. Now I have not as the car is too dear to replace now..........:-)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Yeah I don't want to go down the Brexit route. I am quite....passionate about that topic

But you're absolutely right, it does disadvantage us both each way.

The Nord Stream 1 pipeline for gas has today been closed indefinitely by Gazprom Russia so they are expecting another solid shock to gas price predictions tomorrow. I strongly think we are going to see the cost of all kinds of cars dropping, especially hobby cars, as people have to find money they hadn't budgetted for.
    Yep, everyone loses with that one. :-(

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    You Sir, should be banned!! :-)
    Im not sure its possible TBH

Quote Originally Posted by markcro
    And the same SXs/ other cars. They will go from cheap as chips to being dear. The one issue that I have, I used to blast around on track days having fun. Now I have not as the car is too dear to replace now..........:-)
    See, Im not so sure. The cars you mention are all legendary, game changers for various reasons and even the most devoted 200 fan would have a job claiming they have the same impact as an E-Type.
    Rarity doesnt automatically equal value - there are 41 V10 Phaetons left, 430 manual N54 135is and 8 Gen5 Z28 Camaros, Ive got one of each and they arent appreciating anywhere near as quickly as those numbers would suggest.
    As interest rates go up I can see money being pulled out of classic cars, and this is where the slightly less desirable stuff is going to lose out IMO. Youll never see a £2K S13 again but they may well settle at about £10K IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    I agree. Interest rates up, inflation up, potential relief for energy bills on the radar but if it doesn't happen, then many face an unaffordable winter.

Unfinished project cars will be the first things to go. Then weekend/hobby cars. We're not talking about cancelling Netflix or not eating Avocado's as the previous generation like to chuckle about, we're talking about people needing to make up shortfalls of 3/4/5k in a short space of time.

I genuinely think there will be some bargains to be had should Truss not do this speculated freeze.