Thread: Help regarding CA18DET rebuild - bearings

Rides

Help regarding CA18DET rebuild - bearings

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can help me out or spitball potential issues with CA18det rebuild. I removed the engine to repair rust on the inside of the frame rails and while the engine was out I thought it would be a good idea to have the engine checked over/ reconditioned (engine was running before I removed it). I disassembled the head and took the block and head to an engineering firm to have it checked out and reconditioned. Over the last couple months I was told that all measurements had been taken and the head was in good condition/ deck was straight, but there were a few issues with the block and that I needed oversized pistons and new bearings. Everything was ordered but I received a phone call today from the engineer saying that they have a problem with reassembly and asked if i could confirm the engine was definitely running before i removed it. They advised that after fitting the new bearings, the crankshaft won't spin at all and that the block after measuring is slightly oval where the bearings sit. They confirmed that it was impossible for the engine to be running with the current block. I am genuinely so confused as to what the issue is/ what has happened to cause this

Has anyone had any issues/ know of any niche things required when rebuilding the ca18det that might be causing the crankshaft to not spin at all with new bearings?

List of things that have been done to the block:
    -Crankshaft polished and balanced
    -cylinders bored .5mm oversized
    -cylinders honed
    -new bearings
    -new oversized pistons and rings

Thanks!

Rides
    they've not had multiple crank girdles to pick from or anything like that? if it's the matched girdle to the block - I don't know if it can even be fitted wrong.

I did have an issue on my RB with the crank not spinning if I used redline assembly lube on the tighter end of the clearances, under 1.5thou from memory on the mains, got rid of it all and put in straight 10w oil and it span freely.

if it's gone oval somehow then line boring the mains is your only way to properly fix it.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    maybe they have over torqued the caps or something like that.

Rides
    Does sound like over torquing.

All the specs are in the oem workshop manual tell them to follow these rather than the specs they are probably getting from elsewhere.

Or very slim possibility that if it has been torqued down in the wrong sequence, they have bent the crank.

If your bearing housings were ovalled the bearings that came out would indicate this I'd imagine.

Have they still got the bearings that were removed?

Rides
    The torque figure for the main caps is low only 44-54nm as seen here.

Here is a link for the workshop manual, you need em section and cylinder block starts at pg 33.

http://www.kiruji.net/200sx/manuals/s13/

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk