Thread: Brake hard lines

Rides

Brake hard lines

Oh wise ones of the forum...

Just took off my front calipers of the get them refurbed, and on one side the little length of hard line that goes from the connector block on the strut to the caliper did that thing where it twists with the nut - so it's screwed now

Not sure I can be faffed with remaking that little length of hard line when it doesn't seem to add a lot of value (especially when I don't have the tools to do so). Presumably I could replace the six inches or so of hardline with a short braided section with the right connectors? Or even better still, replace the whole lot with a longer braided hose from wheel-arch coupling all the way directly to caliper, which would seem optimal to me (if properly secured to the strut) as it avoids two extra connections, and potential leak sites, on each wheel?

But is there some reason why this shouldn't be done? Some sort of MOT regulation or convention why the last bit should be hard line?

Rides
    Should point out, I have R33 GTR brakes so i don't know if that makes a difference (or is the reason for the hard line bit) - previous owner did the conversion.

I have noticed that that it's possible to get S14 to R33 conversion lines, I wonder if these remove the need for the hard line?

https://www.vipmotorsport.co.uk/Niss...nversion%20s14

Rides
    I removed that piece years ago and fitted a single longer length of braided line to my R33 calipers.

Rides
    You need some way of fixing the middle of a full length hose to the strut. Using a cable tie will result in raised eyebrows from the MOT man at a minimum.

Apex (I'm pretty sure it was Apex) used to sell full length hoses with a proper clip half way along. They were sold as "s13 to s14 caliper conversion" kits. That's what I fitted.

Rides
    A hydraulics place will make you a new short hard line, if push comes to shove.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    You need some way of fixing the middle of a full length hose to the strut. Using a cable tie will result in raised eyebrows from the MOT man at a minimum.

Apex (I'm pretty sure it was Apex) used to sell full length hoses with a proper clip half way along. They were sold as "s13 to s14 caliper conversion" kits. That's what I fitted.
    Yes, will of course secure properly to the strut.

Have seen some of those conversion kits but none of the descriptions say whether they go all the way to the caliper, although some specifically say they don't! Do you remember what brand of kit Apex survived (Apex are dead to SX's now aren't they?).

Thanks for the responses.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Rides
    When changing my front callipers to Evo X Brembos I bought a braided kit for an Evo and also an ABS delete kit from Proline braided hoses. This gave me braided hose from the master cylinder to each corner of the car. Then the braided hose from the caliper then couples up where the brake pipe clips to the car.

Mine were pretty rusty so in the end cut the old ones off.

Not sure if the proline do the kit with cars with the ABS still but worth checking out