Thread: R33 GTR Fitment Front Brake Discs

Rides

R33 GTR Fitment Front Brake Discs

Front calipers need a refurb and thinking about replacing the discs and pads at the same time. I have the Brembos off a R33 GTR.

Ferrodo DS2500s have served me well in the past, but what's the current trend re discs? The current ones are Project Mu I believe, but what do people recommend these days? EBC? Brembo?

Rides
    I've gone through standard, Project Mu, Ferrido DS2500, EBC Redstuff pads. But I've been using EBC Yellowstuff for the last 10 years now. had Brembo disks, but have just bought a set of EBC. Have yet to fit them though.

Rides
    endless make the best pads.

Rides
    Performance Friction have never let me down. Two piece front discs and whatever they're latest performance pad is. Part Box have supplied all my PF gear. Worth a phone call or an email as they are extremely helpful/knowledgeable and always used to be priced fairly.

Rides
    For the discs I'd stick with Brembo.

Rides
    Thanks for the pad recommends, will check them out.

Come across a 2-piece disc from GKTech that seems a steal at £360 (other 2-piece discs all seem to be triple that price). But I can't find a single reference to them on this forum (or any testimony elsewhere) so it feels like a bit of a leap into the unknown...

Here's the link, for anyone interested
    Last edited by daveyboydave; 08-08-2022 at 17:50. Reason: Added link

Rides
    So I really like GKTech stuff, and I don't mind that they outsource the manufacturing to China because they do their design and validation in Australia. So I have a good level of confidence that their stuff works.

Their brake discs are from a company called HFM, never heard of them, but I'd like to think they have the same ethos with those. They are popular discs in Australia, maybe it's a localish supplier?

I wonder if KARR ran HFM discs Garth,

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    So I really like GKTech stuff, and I don't mind that they outsource the manufacturing to China because they do their design and validation in Australia. So I have a good level of confidence that their stuff works.

Their brake discs are from a company called HFM, never heard of them, but I'd like to think they have the same ethos with those. They are popular discs in Australia, maybe it's a localish supplier?
    Yeah, likewise I'm know GKTech has a good reputation, so I don't imagine they would promote crap components (although I came across some disparaging remarks about GKTech-stocked HFM brake master cylinders). I can find a few Oz forum posts talking about trying the HFM 2-piece discs but not one single shred of feedback after doing so. Only semblance of opinion I can see is on the company's faceballs page, which is something i guess.

I do like the sound of a kilo less unsprung and rotating mass on each side, and the price seems, well, too good to be true...

Decisions, decisions.

Rides
    I'd give it a whirl, you can buy them from VIP Motorsport in the UK so if they're dog shit you can argue the toss there. Tho I suspect they won't be.

GKTech's popularity is working against it due to the fanatical and uneducated opinions on FB that everything made in China is bad. Sigh, social media.

Rides
    Does seem too good to be true but then GKTech do seem to know what they are doing. Everything I've had from them has been exceptionally good value for money. I'd take a punt. What's the worse that can happen? They might be made from cheese and you eat through them in 12 months. That's also a lot to do with pad selection too. EBC pads are known for killing discs whereas DS2500's are pretty disc friendly but create a horrendous amount of dust. Maybe see what pads GKTech recommend. I would avoid DS3000's as they're only marginally better than DS2000's and feel very wooden. DSUNO next for me or back to PF.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I'd give it a whirl, you can buy them from VIP Motorsport in the UK so if they're dog shit you can argue the toss there. Tho I suspect they won't be.

GKTech's popularity is working against it due to the fanatical and uneducated opinions on FB that everything made in China is bad. Sigh, social media.
    Not to mention that all Apple products are made in China! ;-)

Rides
    Exactly. I think people think China is some primitive economy and they imagine the factories to be like the clunky old industrial estates you used to see over here. I'm helping build a brand new factory in China for one of our cars and it's like nothing you'd believe.

The quality comes as much from the design and validation as it does the manufacturing process, and GKTech are, for the most part, designing in very much the same methodology we apply at OEMs.

Rides
    I think most phones from Sony to Samsung are made in China now as well. If you want to pay for quality, then you get state of the art quality. If you want to pay for cheap high volume tat, then you get sh1t. So it all depends on what the company specs (££) to the Chinese manufacturer. They produce what they are paid to produce. Quality, or sh1t, and everything in between.

A friend was setting up a belt line in China, and the same manufacturer quoted something like 5 Dollars a belt, right down to 40 Cent a belt. So he had to decide the cost/ quality per unit he was willing to pay.

Workers/ human rights, now that is a different story........ :-(

Rides
    Davey, you get all that mate?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Davey, you get all that mate?
    Haha, yep.

I went ahead and ordered them. Like you say, worst case they warp or wear and I change the discs sooner than otherwise, it's not like they've set me back big bucks. Will take a couple of weeks to order in plus I need to get the calipers refurbed so it'll be a while before I get to try them out. Still haven't decided on the pads but will probably go more aggressive. I like the sound of the Ferrodo 1.11.

In case anyone is interested, I emailed VIP motorsport first asking why their version of the product looked different to the one on GKTech and elsewhere, turns out the image was out of date and it has the black anodised bell.

Rides
    I think all my current car's GK Tech stuff has come from VIP, they seem like a competent bunch which is good.