Thread: Clean leather

Rides

Clean leather

For those of us who own high end exotic cars (or old Nissans) which don't have "eco-leather"/ pleather/ leatherette/ Taiwanese cowhide/ faux leather/ vinyl seats, but rather have real leather seats, then look away.....

I have never been into cleaning, and so giving the leather in my SX a clean has been on my list for quite some time. So today I said that it was time to give the 22 year old leather seats their first cleaning in their lifetime! (As I said, I am not into cleaning).

So armed with horse saddle soap and a brand new shoe shine brush, I gave the seats a good wash. And then wiped them down with old bar towels to dry them. A Bulmers, Smithwicks and Famous Grouse whiskey bar towels to be exact. I knew someday that they would come in useful!
    I then let them dry for an hour or so with the windows rolled down. It wasn't sunny, but it was a great day for drying. And then I went over everything with clear natural dubbing which I had for shoes and boots. And let that soak in to nourish the leather (also waterproofs and protects! ).

All in all, they came up pretty well. There are a few areas that could do with another going over to get them 100%, but they will do. Took about 3 hours.

I never took a before photo, but here is one from 16 years ago, and even that at 6 years old, you can see they are a bit yellowy...

The one negative thing is that I have been told to do the same to the leather sofa and armchair tomorrow....

Rides
    Nice work,i give mine a yearly conditioner,keeps them supple and stops them cracking. I find Gliptone very good

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Looks like a good job that