Thread: Which cams S15

Rides

Which cams S15

I know its been covered like a million times and as a result I'm more undecided than before.

looking at getting some cams its an unopened engine its being mapped fairly soon on a PFC (old tech I know)

2871 with currently 555 probs going 740s

I had though bout some mild cams like 256 poncams which I believe give nice mid range power but will I sacrifice low down?

I love how it drives at the moment well saying that the ECU isn't operating the VTC so its actually lacking midrange...hence the PFC but before that happened I loved the way it drove and I spent a long time dialling in my AVCR and its spot on.

or do I just keep standard?

Rides
    Step 1 HKS 256

"HKS Step 1 cams are great for stock valve-train engines.
    These cams are aimed towards response and stout mid range power.
    If you want response this is the camshaft!"

Rides
    The Tomei USA 258 is supposed to be the best of both world between the Tomei JPN 256 and Tomei JPN 260. I bought them for mine, albeit not knowing Tomei USA was it's own entity, but can't give you any feedback on them.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    The Tomei USA 258 is supposed to be the best of both world between the Tomei JPN 256 and Tomei JPN 260. I bought them for mine, albeit not knowing Tomei USA was it's own entity, but can't give you any feedback on them.
    I've read to steer well clear of Tomei USA as you mention because its only an acquired name....

so didn't you fit the 258s?

Rides
    So yeah, Tomei USA is a totally separate company and yes, Tomei Japan issued a statement saying anything with a TA- number wouldn't be serviceable under warranty with Tomei Japan, but they are with Tomei USA.

I was originally very cross myself when I found out because I presumed I was buying from Tomei Japan and I'm quite the fanboy as we know. I was adamant I was going to send them back.

I've seen a few stories of people not being happy with some parts like FPRs but I've not seen anything about there being any issues with their camshafts. There is a strong sense that the actual cam blanks come from Real Speed Engineering, as per Tomei Japan, but are just machined by Tomei USA.

I haven't fitted the 258s only because I haven't built my engine, it's still in pieces on my shelf. But the 258s will be going in when I do.
    Last edited by piman2k; 20-04-2023 at 12:44.

Rides
    Have a look at Kelford V-188-EZ

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Have a look at Kelford V-188-EZ
    oooh thanks for that