Thread: Hello from the USA (Old member)

Rides

Hello from the USA (Old member)

Hello forum!

Haven't logged in for many years I don't think, was surprised my password still even worked lol. I got curious about importing a car to the USA (In this case a Renault Clio 16v... sufficiently interesting/unique enough), and I thought.. hey... those nerds on SXOC may at some point dealt with this crap in their lives at some time lol.

So yeah... moved to the USA about 9 years ago, haven't owned an SX in about 11 years I think. They are completely banana's prices over year btw, and only come with the boring as hell k motor. Currently own a 2018 WRX STI Limited, and just bought my wife a 2022 Outback Wilderness edition. First car I ever bought brand new, and I got it for my wife LOL. I'm not rich, just a stupid with money I guess. Or just stupid, probably more accurate.

Other life notes: Value yourself. I never knew my worth until I started working over here. I must be on something like 4 times the amount over here adjusted for currency difference. It's not a brag, I'm so damn thankful... but it taught me to even when you think you are trapped in a job and not worth anything... doing some interviews will really open your eyes.

Anyway.... wondering if any of you weirdo's moved to the USA at some point and imported a car? In my head... I'm thinking of importing car's that are of curious enough in nature and over 25 years old, and potentially starting it as a side business.

Oh, and my father in law has two landcruisers from 60's and 70's that would be amazing for resto... but I would need some capital behind me to do those.

Rides
    Nice to see your name pop up. Matthew isn't it?

There's a company in MK that can help you shift a car, called "Ship My Car".

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Nice to see your name pop up. Matthew isn't it?

There's a company in MK that can help you shift a car, called "Ship My Car".

Sure is Matthew I miss my S14a, that's for sure. If I could find one here that wasn't a wreck (rusted to sh*t, P.A. uses sooo much salt.) and didn't cost the earth, I would get another.

Thanks I will look them up!

What are used car prices like in the UK these days? Actually staying sane, or gone banana's?

p.s. Pretty sure the hubs I was meant to give to Stidi never happened (and never will as my sister threw them out /facepalm )

Rides
    I remember you!

Sounds like you're enjoying the move to the US. I have some friends who moved but actually came back during the Trump era as they felt it lost its shine.

The Clio 16v sounds cool if you can make it happen. Getting rare now!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouder_sx View Post
    I remember you!

Sounds like you're enjoying the move to the US. I have some friends who moved but actually came back during the Trump era as they felt it lost its shine.

The Clio 16v sounds cool if you can make it happen. Getting rare now!
    PA is pot-hole central... but I'd risk it for a fun small car that wouldn't be astronomical costs for something a little special 'over here'. The Williams version would be way too much I suspect, hence the 16v. Now.. I do remember the clutch being so bad it made my hip ache LOL. I would defo need to change that.

I am liking the USA for sure. Up's and downs. Nearly broke my marriage being away for 2 years thanks to the 'super special' visa process that the embassy advised us badly on. But, still here. Will likely be applying for citizenship so that I can ensure I don't get booted out from where my daughter is, that would be horrific.

Job wise, I am still working as a Software Dev, with a focus on login/auth systems, and general security. I am possibly looking at moving the move to management for IT Sec, but will see. I'm concerned my skillset of development would be at risk if I did that. In short, I'll only do it if it's financially worth my time.

I haven't been back to the UK at all since I moved. I really need to come visit at some point (once my status here is resolved beyond green-card). Oh how I miss the SXOC club events. I still have the scars on my legs from running full pelt drunk in the dark into a unloaded trailer.

Rides
    Hello Matt

If you are looking to import something, do it from Europe as then at least it will be a left hooker

Regards moving into IT management, if you are anything like me, then its not a good move as it means you have to deal with humans when your strengths lie in dealing with rational, logical predictable things like computers

I ran a team of 20 consultants at one point and it was the most stressful unsatisfying part of a 40 year career in IT.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Hello Matt

If you are looking to import something, do it from Europe as then at least it will be a left hooker

Regards moving into IT management, if you are anything like me, then its not a good move as it means you have to deal with humans when your strengths lie in dealing with rational, logical predictable things like computers

I ran a team of 20 consultants at one point and it was the most stressful unsatisfying part of a 40 year career in IT.
    Hi Jonny !!!

Long time my friend Apologies on not responding quicker, I don't seem to be getting notifications or somehow missed it/them.

Huh... smart thinking. I hadn't actually considered importing from Europe! I'd have to convert to MPH which would blow, and suspect everything on the car would be in French [Insert French sweary here]. I wonder if they did the Clio Williams over in Europe?

What are you driving these days?

--------

I have one boss that wants me to be the manager already. I spoke with the boss above him, and found out that the role is much more of a planning/HR/paper pusher role than a technical lead. So.. I think I'm going to drop it. I'm going to look at other opportunities in the company, hopefully with an even greater security focus and be a challenge to me. Management is definitely NOT a strength of mine. I've got better and more considered in my approach to things, and the ego taking a back seat, but I'm not a natural leader at all.

Rides
    My current cars btw:

2018 White WRX STI Limited is mine. 2022 Outlander Wilderness is my wife's. (The Silver Kia beside my car was traded in for the Outlander, quite an upgrade!)

Last edited by Scougar; 28-05-2022 at 02:36.

Rides
    Most cars have both mph and kph on the dash or are switchable if digital.

Currently smooching round in a Jag, a Mundano estate and a Peugeot dog wagon. Jag vvvv

I'm contemplating getting rid of the Jag and the current bikes and getting something more practical for Cornwall like a 400cc.

All of which requires me to pull my finger out

Rides
    ooooo that's gorgeous! Lovely colour as well

Looks like you'd fit in on a country estate somewhere

Found a really nice example in the UK, but if I could get left hand drive on a renault clio 16v phase 1 I would. (Williams is outta my price range btw).
    Last edited by Scougar; 01-06-2022 at 02:03.

Rides
    I had a 16v from new (in grey) and it was a fun little rollerskate but after 3 years and 35k miles it was trashed. Rattly, electrical fault-ridden and worn out.

I replaced it with a new 1999 red s14a and after 3 years and 35k miles it had a small mark on the back of the drivers seat but was otherwise perfect.

Nissan build quality in those days was strong

Rides
    I had a 16v from new (in grey) and it was a fun little rollerskate but after 3 years and 35k miles it was trashed. Rattly, electrical fault-ridden and worn out.

I replaced it with a new 1999 red s14a and after 3 years and 35k miles it had a small mark on the back of the drivers seat but was otherwise perfect.

Nissan build quality in those days was strong
    True. I had a fair few electrical faults with my 16v. blower motor had to be replaced. Alt went weak. Can't remember anything else right now. It was a budget small car with performance thrown into it.

p.s. Getting interested in the Corolla GR at present. Not sure how much that is going to be, or if I'll be able to stretch to it. That would be pretty darn cool.. and practical.

Rides
    They've got them in my local Toyota dealer. They seem fairly reasonable in terms of price. £31k for cash but I don't know what equates to on PCP nor what the waiting times are.

Rides
    They've got them in my local Toyota dealer. They seem fairly reasonable in terms of price. £31k for cash but I don't know what equates to on PCP nor what the waiting times are.
    Are you thinking of the Yaris GR ? The Corolla GR isn't coming to UK and isn't released yet (till Autumn).

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
    Are you thinking of the Yaris GR ? The Corolla GR isn't coming to UK and isn't released yet (till Autumn).
    No, not the Yaris but I am mistaken. It was the Corolla GR Sport. I went with a mate to a local dealer. As he's a driving instructor he was looking for a manual but the GR Sport only comes in Auto. The guy said the only GR available in manual was the new GR with 300 bhp so not perfect for learners

Rides
    https://www.carwow.co.uk/toyota/coro...s-release-date

Won't be available in Europe since you guys have the lighter quicker Yaris GR