Thread: SR20det turbo recommendations - no boost creep

Rides

SR20det turbo recommendations - no boost creep

Looking for a turbo for the SR20DET red top engine. Can’t find many Upto date topics on this.

goal of 350-370bhp, probably won’t be looking to go above this as like to keep it reliable.

I’ve found many old topics recommending the gt2871r. Looks to be a great turbo but I don’t want the boost creep this turbo will come with at the power level I require! I also rather not go external wastegate, looking to just keep it simple on a stock cast manifold. Most claim porting this turbo will not reduce boost creep enough and only real way out is run big boost or external

I will have all supporting mods for whatever turbo I end up with (MAF, injectors and so on)

many thanks

Rides
    It wouldn't creep substantially, the issue is far, far exaggerated by the internet. I ran a 2871r at that power for years and it was fine.

GT2871 0.86 is a fine turbo, you could also look at the GTX2871r, GTX2867r and the G25-550 with the T2 flange (amongst others) but expect to pay a premium for the G series.

I think you're very wise to be looking for simplicity with the internal wastegate and original manifold, it will pay dividends in the long run for you and save you a tonne of money. Too many people chase specs these days so bravo.

Rides
    the g25 is a good shout.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    It wouldn't creep substantially, the issue is far, far exaggerated by the internet. I ran a 2871r at that power for years and it was fine.

GT2871 0.86 is a fine turbo, you could also look at the GTX2871r, GTX2867r and the G25-550 with the T2 flange (amongst others) but expect to pay a premium for the G series.

I think you're very wise to be looking for simplicity with the internal wastegate and original manifold, it will pay dividends in the long run for you and save you a tonne of money. Too many people chase specs these days so bravo.
    Was it a .64 or .86 you had? I’ve seen the .64 is the more recommended version, but will boost creep more. Will it be missing out much going .86 instead of .64?

I agree, half the time all these “extra” bits are rarely needed. Prime example on my old Rb20det I had back to back dyno runs with standard air box vs apexi air filter. Made near on no difference so run for years at 360bhp on standard airbox with zero issues. Looking to build the SR the same way, keep it as OEM and minimal as possible

Rides
    I had the 0.86 but again, .64 boost creep is made to sound like a monster drama on the internet, when it really hasn't been.

Rides
    I had the 0.86 but again, .64 boost creep is made to sound like a monster drama on the internet, when it really hasn't been.
    Any reason you went .86 over the .64?

Did you port the wastegate at all?

Abs curious what boost and power level did you run?

If I can get away with a gt2871 I will

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by leonl View Post
    Any reason you went .86 over the .64?
    Young man attitude. Go big or go home.

Did you port the wastegate at all?
    No sir.

Abs curious what boost and power level did you run?
    I honestly cannot remember buddy, it was such a long time ago.

If I can get away with a gt2871 I will
    You can definitely achieve that power with it. But like I said, if you can afford better get a GTX series or a G25-550.

Rides
    Young man attitude. Go big or go home.

No sir.

I honestly cannot remember buddy, it was such a long time ago.

You can definitely achieve that power with it. But like I said, if you can afford better get a GTX series or a G25-550.
    Brilliant thank you for the information

I will probably go for a gt2871r in .86 and port wastegate. That should run fine without any creep hopefully

Rides
    Run it out of the box first and then see if it's doing it. Don't need to presume it will happen.

Rides
    Will probably port before hand just to save having to take it on and off more then once

Rides
    Will probably port before hand just to save having to take it on and off more then once

Rides

Rides
    Ok, can't hurt but you'll never know if you needed it or not.

Rides
    Yeah I get what you mean,
    Also good to have the experience and knowledge for the future and to help anyone else in same situation as me. I might just chuck it on, we shall see