Thread: Rev counter

Rides

Rev counter

Good afternon,

The usual rev counter all over the place. I've had it out twice now. First time I just touched the soldering iron on all of the pins on the back of the PCB for the rev counter and still no luck.

Second time I've used a solder sucker and removed all the solder and done it all again with fresh solder. I even resolders the wires on the motor. Still not working.

Ive checked the voltage to the lower left Phillips screw on the back of the dash cluster which is the feed for the rev counter and its steady and will increase in voltage when you rev the car so it's not this.

Any thing else I can try?

Rides
    HI. I have fixed lots of these by removing all the old solder and adding fresh leaded in its place. Have you refolwed the entire pcb?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 6terras View Post
    HI. I have fixed lots of these by removing all the old solder and adding fresh leaded in its place. Have you refolwed the entire pcb?
    Yea first time I just reheated the original solder. Second time I used a solder sucker to completely remove all the old stuff and then used fresh stuff. Still the same issue

Rides
    I did mine a couple of years ago and this vid helped me:

https://youtu.be/62qJorItmOo

Seems the issue for me was the 22 micro solders on the pins of one of the components on the board. I hadn't touched these the first time round as I was a tad nervous of not being precise enough with my iron.... But after a lot of careful concentration I resumed on these and fantastically it worked for me....and it’s still working 😎.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pb63 View Post
    I did mine a couple of years ago and this vid helped me:

https://youtu.be/62qJorItmOo

Seems the issue for me was the 22 micro solders on the pins of one of the components on the board. I hadn't touched these the first time round as I was a tad nervous of not being precise enough with my iron.... But after a lot of careful concentration I resumed on these and fantastically it worked for me....and it’s still working ��.
    Thats why i asked if the entire pcb was reflowed.

I am a professional pcb reworker. I was also a soldering teacher to aerospace standards for 6 years. If you want you can send it to me. I have fixed 7 200sx rev counters to date.

Rides
    The PCB was the only bit I didn't do as I've only got a gas soldering iron and the tip was to big.

I bought a cheap electric one of amazon with a 1mm tip and redone the PCB and now it's working!

Cheers for the advice!!

Rides

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by burgerboy78 View Post
    The PCB was the only bit I didn't do as I've only got a gas soldering iron and the tip was to big.

I bought a cheap electric one of amazon with a 1mm tip and redone the PCB and now it's working!

Cheers for the advice!!
    Nice one. Glad you got it sorted

Rides
    well done!