Thread: Buy a TVR he said.....

Rides

Buy a TVR he said.....

Years ago as a kid while in Belfast with my Dad, I seen a Triumph GT6 parked along side the road. I had no idea what it was but said to myself, Wow that is a beautiful car!* Fast forward many years and I bought one.

I owned Little Red, my 1973 Triumph GT6 for 13 years. To me she is a stunning looking car, and that crisp torquey 2 litre straight 6 engine was addictive.

Rides
    Over 13 years I had plenty of adventures in her. She is such a fun car. I drove from from side of the country to the other, Dublin to Dingle and did the Ring of Kerry one May..

She was even my wedding car...

Rides
    Once she even graced the tarmac of Mondello Park on an IVVCC run. And many other happy adventures over the years.

But then a friend planted a seed in my ear, that I couldn't ignore no matter how hard that I tried to ignore it. And it grew roots. And sadly Little Red was sold in order to make the other possible. I still miss her, but no doubt the new owners are enjoying her as she is such a wonderful fun little car.

So what was this seed that was planted? Well ever since I seen Clarkson reviewing TVRs as a teenager, and always saying to my friend that one day I would...........

And so he gave me the kick up the hole to stand to my words......

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Excellent work that man. M
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    I owned a vermillion Spitfire 1500 for 13 years (and it was my wedding car).
    I've owned an S2, a v8S and a 350i over the years.

I suspect you will find TVR ownership more onerous than the GT6 was but the grunt in the v8s is phenomenal. I regularly used to set out from a standstill in 3rd (its a pretty close gate).

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I owned a vermillion Spitfire 1500 for 13 years (and it was my wedding car).
    I've owned an S2, a v8S and a 350i over the years.

I suspect you will find TVR ownership more onerous than the GT6 was but the grunt in the v8s is phenomenal. I regularly used to set out from a standstill in 3rd (its a pretty close gate).
    Hi Johnny,

Yeah that is my one concern that only time will tell. You told me before that you owned one and the other TVRs before, and that I best to stick with the GT6. The GT6 is a gorgeous fun car, and I was sad to see her go, but I had to take the chance as for decades I always said that someday I will have a TVR.... and I didn't have the money nor the space to keep the GT6 and get the V8S...

TVR
    Trouble Very Regularly.................
    :-0

I'll keep you updated!

She drives like an old car which I like. Quite similar to the GT6 but a little more modern, but alot more car in interior and power.

I always loved Spitfires. One was on my list if I couldn't find a GT6. Do you have any photos?

Rides
    brilliant post, stunning cars, both of them, Triumph takes me back to my childhood too!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post

I always loved Spitfires. One was on my list if I couldn't find a GT6. Do you have any photos?
    I don't have any digital ones

It's a shame I didn't know because I'd have bought the GT6 from you with a buy-back option when you'd scratched your TVR itch

Rides
    I don't have any digital ones

It's a shame I didn't know because I'd have bought the GT6 from you with a buy-back option when you'd scratched your TVR itch

But I have to say, my SX is still my baby. I can never see myself selling her.

Rides
    Making a nice tune.....

Rides
    They do sound sweet with a Rover V8 and a TVR Power exhaust, don't they ?

Rides
    They do sound sweet with a Rover V8 and a TVR Power exhaust, don't they ?
    They certainly do! :-) I have never turned the radio on apart when parked.. (not that you would be able to hear it anyway! ;-) )