Thread: ACEA oil specifications

Rides

ACEA oil specifications

I know there are plenty of oil posts on the forum but just wondering why the ACEA oil specification is rarely mentioned or is it a given and people generally understand what they need?

When i first got my S14a I did a lot of research on oils to use and Castrol Edge 5W/40 came up a lot (engine is high mileage and used for spirited road use) and as the previous owner had been using Shell Helix Ultra 5W/40 I assumed the Castrol equivalent would be ok so used that, I remember looking in the car manual at the time and there was some old oil specification code I didn't recognize so didn't pay too much attention to that. To be fair the car has been running like a dream, we recently upgraded to a large turbo to support 500+ bhp but as we haven't done internals yet we're boost limited to 1.1 bar at around 370bhp

However I've been looking into ACEA oil specifications again as its due for an oil change and I'm out of Castrol Edge and I noticed that the Castrol Edge is in fact ACEA C3 whereas the Shell Helix Ultra 5W/40 is ACEA A3/B3. Its funny but I rarely see mention of the ACEA oil specification when people are asking for oil advice and even on Amazon where I bought the oil this isn't even mentioned, but from reading up as i understand it ACEA C3 is low saps designed for “catalyst friendly” specifications such as a turbodiesel car with a DPF whereas ACEA A3/B4 is designed for conventional petrel engines like mine

If the ACEA oil specification is important why is it so rarely mentioned?
    Last edited by sr20det1; 21-02-2022 at 08:13.

Rides
    Not sure if Opie Oils still frequent the forums but it might be worth posting on their board. Or giving them an email, they're always super helpful for me in the past!

Rides
    Thanks oreos, yeah this started as a private post to oilman but im not sure if he is still on here, anyway good shout about their board, will give that a go...cheers

Rides
    Still here!

ACEA Specs are still important but less so these days to older vehicles as most oils will meet or exceed the specs required for the car. Also in Europe many car manufacturers have their own specific specs, VAG, Mercedes, Fiat, Citroen, Peugeot, BMW etc all use their own specs. Ususally based around an exsisting for soon to be released ACEA spec.

ACEA C3 is a low saps oil, needed for diesels fitted with diesel particulate filters. But they can be used quite happily in place for a vehicle that is recommended the much older ACEA A3/B4 spec.

Cheers,

Guy
    Use the code SXOC and get 10% Club Discount
    View Opie Oils Current Offers Here > >
    oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
    email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
    phone: 01209 202944

Rides
    ah thanks Guy, great to hear you are still around!

Yes what you mentioned is kind of the conclusion I came to, just good to know i haven't ruined my SR!

But with that said, looking at past posts and links you sent out (https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w40-engine-oil.aspx) whilst I could stay with the Castrol Edge, I think I'm going to try Fuchs Titan Race Pro S next