Thread: Repairing aluminium radiators

Rides

Repairing aluminium radiators

Hi everyone

I've just put my aluminium radiator back in my car after a long rebuild. Filled it with antifreeze and it's pissing out the bottom.

Im not happy to say the least. I was hoping to start the engine this weekend.

It definitely not leaking from the pipes or drain plug. It looks like it's from around the centre of the core and dripping down. Does anyone know if something like this can be fixed or is it a new radiator.

Rides
    If you take it off the car, bung it and then fill it up you should see the leak. I hear you can use an aluminium rod (tig) with a blow torch for small repairs. I have the same issue on a radiator I got cheap and I want to try it. Will let you know when I do, or you can let me know if you do it first

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    If it’s leaking from the fins I’d just get a new rad. If it helps you don’t need to have a radiator and coolant to start the engine for short periods.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    If it’s leaking from the fins I’d just get a new rad. If it helps you don’t need to have a radiator and coolant to start the engine for short periods.
    or just link the top and bottom hoses and just use tap water. heaters set to hot.

Rides
    I'll probably get a new one eventually but I've already spent a load recently getting it back on the road so I'll see if I can get it fixed for now.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    or just link the top and bottom hoses and just use tap water. heaters set to hot.
    That's definitely the answer.

Rides
    Got the radiator checked and there was lots of holes in it. Apparently its caused by corrosion after 5 years in my garage with no anti corrosion coolant to stop it. New mishimoto on the way