Thread: Does 13mm make a difference? CD009

Rides

Does 13mm make a difference? CD009

Hey gang,

I've got an s14a with a CD009 and a non ABS diff and a drive shaft shop aluminium prop in-between, and I've been driving if for a while and I'm getting really tired of not having a speedo. My cars got no ABS rings on any of the hubs so the easiest way to get my speedo back is an ABS diff and a Dakota digital box right?

When I've been looking, the difference between the standard ABS prop and Non ABS prop is about 13mm, the drive shaft shop wouldn't tell me the difference between the lengths of the prop shafts (Which is fair enough I guess)

So does anyone know if I could just whack the ABS diff in and expect a miracle and it work no problem?

Any advice would be great

Rides
    I'd be amazed if there isn't some solution where you could mount magnets to the prop shaft, and a proximity sensor, which can be calibrated to produce a speedo signal. Almost certainly something off the shelf - this must be a common problem eg in the kit car community.

Got to be easier than changing the diff, right?

If there's not an off the shelf solution then you'll have to excuse me for a sec because I'm going to make one and become a millionaire...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Dammit, no millions for me:

https://bluewireautomotive.com/produ...net-speed-coil

This one is in oz but I only spent 1 min googling, I'm sure you'll find something better.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daveyboydave; 28-01-2022 at 13:32.

Rides
    i recon your prop will bottom out on the output shaft of the gearbox if you try to push it forward 13mm.
    i put a dakota digital box on a car and found it wasnt that accurate across the whole speed range.
    the magnet glued to the prop can be a pain when they fly off or get covered in swarf.

Rides
    I have a speedo app on my phone but tempted to treat myself to this: https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/demo...ter-dtmwds-02/
    I do have a Dakota box to hook up to my abs diff but all I keep hearing is how inaccurate they are so I'm not sure I can be bothered.

Edit: My ABS Prop shaft is 29” from flange to flange.
    Last edited by BLAKTOOTH; 28-01-2022 at 15:49.

Rides
    Make life easy for yourself and just get the Dakota GPS speedo - https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....rod/prd837.htm

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Make life easy for yourself and just get the Dakota GPS speedo - https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....rod/prd837.htm
    Looks to only be compatible with digital speedo's.

Rides
    If that will work with my stock speedo then that's probably the way I'll go.

My prop shaft is aluminium so there's no sticking magnets too it.. I suppose that's nothing JB weld cant solve.

Thanks for the info guys

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Looks to only be compatible with digital speedo's.
    Hmm, I'm sure they used to do a version that worked with a standard speedo

Rides
    There's a cable adaptor box from Dakota now for the digital unit. If that's what you'd need to make it work.

Lee, I never had any issues with my DD SGI-5. We verified to GPS at about 2/3 mph out at 100mph.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    There's a cable adaptor box from Dakota now for the digital unit. If that's what you'd need to make it work.

Lee, I never had any issues with my DD SGI-5. We verified to GPS at about 2/3 mph out at 100mph.
    Thanks Ryan, good to know from someone with experience and not just internet hearsay.

Rides
    Not sorted my speedo out yet still trying things, got a 350z diff and the sensors don't work with the dakota digital, bought some other cheap ebay sensors and cant get them to work either, still playing about and trying to use pull down resistors to get a signal from the 350z ones. Dakota are that helpfull all they say is buy our sensor.

As for the prop shaft, undo your diff bolts and see how much play your driveshaft (assume its one piece) has into the rear gearbox housing, that will tell you if you can keep it. ( have a google what play you need, cant remember off the top of my head but its probably 1/2 - 3/4''