Thread: Boot Leak - Finally fixed!!

Rides

Exclamation Boot Leak - Finally fixed!!

I have been chasing a boot leak for nearly a year now, and finally, touch wood, I think that I have it finally sorted!

Or rather 3x boot leaks.

1. My boot started taking on water last year and at around the same time I was getting an intermittent ABS warning light. I never associated one with the other....
    The passenger side corner of the boot card and carpet. I lowered the seat down and had a look with a torch one day during heavy rain. And I spotted moisture coming in near the corners of the parcel shelf. One side was worse than the other. Rear windscreen seal? Thankfully no!
    It turned out that the gaskets on the rear windscreen trim were leaking. In fact there was a bit of surface rust creep underneath the worse leaking one. So I removed that one, treated the rust, and replaced it with a new one. (50 Cent worth of plastic cost me 16 quid!!! )

New gromet fitted and I sealed all gromets with Locktite sealer

And only while doing this I noticed that the leak was running along and dripping onto the ABS controller causing the intermittent ABS fault light. I open that up cleaned it.
    So ABS fault fixed and leak fixed!

But while I found that area then was bone dry, the boot was still taking in water...

Rides
    2. One day I found a wet patch on the boot card near the drivers side tail light. Ah ha!

So just to be sure, I removed both tail lights and put new tail light sealer on. And fixed a bit of rust on a seam while I was at it.

Boot leak fixed!! Or so I thought........

Rides
    One days I lifted the boot floor and the spare wheel was swimming in water- WTF??!??!?!?!?!

I dried up the water and waited. Bone dry for weeks. And then it filled up with water again. WTF?!?!

So I lined the boot with newpaper taped down with masking tape and waited. Rainy days, windy days............nothing.

And then one day at my folks it lashed, and it must be the angle of their driveway as the paper was wet! And I found this....

Plastic trim removed and boot seal lifted... this....

Took the bumper off:

So at least now I found how the magic water was getting in!

So rotten metal cut out and new steel welded in:

A good coating of Waxoyl while the bumper was off:

And sure while the bumper was off, treat, paint and Waxoyl the bumper brackets:

So 3rd time lucky?!?!? Well it's been 4 weeks now and the boot is dry as a bone. :-)

Rides
    I didnt have holes but did similar to the rear pannel. Did you take off the rubber boot seal? The lip it sits on was rotten on mine, in the middle near the latch.

Rides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 6terras View Post
    I didnt have holes but did similar to the rear pannel. Did you take off the rubber boot seal? The lip it sits on was rotten on mine, in the middle near the latch.
    Yeah the exact same as mine. The boot seal lip was totally disintegrated in the middle with rust. They had to cut that and weld in about 6 inches of new lip.